AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the HTPC and I am hoping some of you might be able to lend some help or advice. I am getting ready to build a new computer for regular purposes and would like to use the one I am replacing as a HTPC. I am looking to mainly play video files off my hard drive. All kinds of different formats. I don't stream much in the form of netflix or anything like that. I would like to be able to display videos from tv streams like watch espn or firstrowsports. I am also hoping to do some game emulation like nintendo and super nintendo. My current setup is below:

Graphics Card: GeForce 8500 GT

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3

Processor: AMD x86 2.6ghz (x86 family 15 model 107 stepping 2 Authentic AMD-2611mhz)

Ram- 4gig

Storage- 200gig internal and could use 1 terabyte external.

Do you think I could make this work for what I want to do? I don't really care about case size and how quiet. If I need to I can buy a few extra parts if I need to upgrade something. Thanks for any help you might provide.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
For up to 1080p video content you'll be fine as the 8500GT can handle that. However it can't do HD audio or standalone audio-over-HDMI (needs an S/PDIF cable connected to on-board or other soundcard). However to get things like that (if you need them) you could always just get a new videocard. I think the main question is then, where are you outputting the audio?

Your CPU is actually an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 (I decoded your CPUID string posted), and that is perfectly fine for your needs. RAM is fine too. Storage is up to you how much you want/need, but I would definitely suggest you add an SSD for your OS at least, as it will speed up the system a heck of a lot.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
It should be fine but I would run openelectric or KODIbuntu on it instead of windows. The apps in KODI will stream almost anything except NETFLEX. I would swap out the video card for something that will run HD audio over HDMI if you have a surround system, if not then the card is fine using any on board audio you have. $20 used on Ebay for a better card is very doable. No need for an SSD if your not using windows (you could run it off a thumb drive if you wanted)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I will probably have to switch the card out for HDMI. What do you guys use to control the unit? I have seen some people state you can use an xbox controller but what do you need on the pc to make it work? Also, do you guys use a wireless keyboard and mouse to do things like if you are sitting on the couch? I would think you would have to have a keyboard to enter web addresses and things. Thanks again for the input and help.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Any MCE ir remote works great for KODI/XBMC also under $15 on EBay. A wireless keyboard /w mouse pad works great for setup etc but not needed most of the time using KODI. I use harmony 890 rf remotes to control everything along with a mini qwerty keyboard/w mouse pad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts