AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized the mb only has the old PCIe 1.0a x16 in the way of PCIe slots.

Are the newers PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 cards backwards compatible with 1.0a? Even if they are, should I still get a PCIe 1.0a card to "match" the mb?

Looks like only the 8400gs is available in 1.0a anymore.

Would this be ok for HTPC use?
http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-GeForce-.../ref=de_a_smtd

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was recently in the same dilemma. I had an AMD 4800 x2 cpu with an nForce4 mobo and was looking to upgrade my ATI x800. I read some stories of people having problems with newer video cards and wasn't sure what to do. I decided to gamble and try an ATI/AMD 5770 but that wouldn't POST. No problem though I put the 5770 into the HTPC so I now have HD audio. My backup plan was to spend more and buy an Nvidia 460gtx, fortunately that worked. My guess is Nvidia checked compatibility within their products.

My advice is to buy an Nvidia card if you have an Nvidia mobo. If you don't have an Nvida mobo it's probably a bit of a dice roll and you should be prepared to possibly return the card.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
In theory a PCIe 1.x slot should support a PCIe 2.x device with no issue. Actually sometimes it supports it and sometimes not. But you shouldn't limit yourself to a PCIe 1.x graphics card from the beginning. 8400 GS is an outdated, crappy GPU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.