AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have recently purchased an old Infocus LP550 (yes, the great big triangular ones) - and I have a real problem with it - when I input video (composite or SVideo) it has really bad lines streaking through it - but only where there is motion ie. flames, car wheels etc...

This is a TFT active matrix, so the LCD is not too slow, but rather it is a scaler problem perhaps?

Now, I wish to attempt to fix this with an external scaler feeding the VGA input at the correct native resolution of the projector. (640X480) The scaler that I am looking at is a Gamers VBox - has anyone had any experience with these?

Also, would anyone know about firmware updates for the projector? Or where to get them?

This may have been answered before - I am a "newbie" on this forum.

I would appreciate any hints anyone could provide.

Thanks

Heath Young

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The problem is the scaler.

Given the likely price of the 550, it is difficult to justify spending too much on a scaler to use with this machine.

I am not familiar with the scaler you mention; perhaps someone else is.

I might suggest trying one of the IScan DVDO scalers. You can pick them up cheaply sometimes on Ebay (300-350 for the v1).

Not all Infocus machines will work with the DVDO so you should try before you buy.

Another option is to try an HTPC if you can find something cheap. This would probably work with the 550 and would represent a big improvement.

Good luck.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a PC as an input with a scripted sequence out of the game 'half-life'. This is the beginning scene (train ride) with travels through tunnels etc.

It was *perfect* - no noise, no streaking - so it definitly was the scaler.

I think that it would be a better idea to post a fresh question about scalers in the video processing forum.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Heath Young

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.