AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

As you can quickly tell, I am new to the forum. I can't even claim the title of long time lurker, although I have visited a few times over the years. I am a student and thus am currently interested in dirt cheap and DIY solutions to get the best bang for my.. well.. its not even a buck I guess...

Anyway, I'll jump right into my question.

How would the picture quality (and over all viewing experience) of a very old (~8 yrs) "home theater" projector such as the BenQ pe8700 compare to todays entry level multimedia projector of the same resolution? (eg, Optoma HD66 -

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Used 720P projector with less thatn 2000 hours on the lamp, with contrast ratio of 4000:1 is doable, and you should not be paying more than $100-175 in my book.. I am using an HC3000 built in 2005-2006, I have had it for about 3-4 years (3000+ hour of use) I paid $175 for it back then. New $500 projector will probably beat it in some areas but not all so I just keep watching it. For instance I can not hear the fan when using it on eco and with a high gain screen I can keep using it on eco .. I expect I will not up grade till the lamp fails and some Mitsubishi lamps have lasted over 10,000 hours.. ;-) I would guess the hdmi port will fail first as it is already getting flaky from the nightly setup and break down...

Good luck, when you find something you think is a good deal, projector central is your friend. if the specs look good, then you start searching here, if there are no complaints of failure issues near the end of the the thread, you may be ok. I would stay away form LCD units as they seem to have image issues sooner than DLP. However some cheaper DLPs HD1000 HC1500 and other entry levels of that vintage had color wheel failures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts