AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some much need upgrades to my 'server'. I'm going from an old Pentium 4 2.4ghz to a Core i3-550. I'm trying to reuse as much as possible (tuning cards, case, etc.).

Will I be able to use my old Antec TruePower 430 PSU with my new GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 ATX motherboard and 5 sata drives (3 hard drives and 2 optical drives)?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Funny you ask. I just put an Antec True 430 in my new htpc build last night. You will need a 20 to 24 pin power converter and possible a 4 to 8 pin + 12v converter. You may get away with only using 4 plugs for the +12v atx depending on how beefy your processor is.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
even the 4 pin ATX is enough for a beefy processor, really. Even just straight plugging the 20 pin connector into the new board should work.

I think the True430 is only like 20-22A of 12V current. That's enough to run just about any processor, but not with a graphics card that need supplemental power.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, I plugged the 20 pin into the 24 pin connector. Computer did boot into windows, however all the usb plugs did not work. No power was getting to them. When I got the 20 to 24 pin converter, they all worked.

I did use the 4 pin only and it seemed to work just fine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not running a graphics card; I'm using the integrated on chip i3 graphics. I ordered a couple adapters so hopefully I saved on the cost of a new PSU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts