AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early satellite receiver, an RCA DRD102RW, on which the IR remote capability died as a result of the last thunderstorm. I'm planning on replacing it with the Zenith SAT-530 HD receiver when it is released next fall. Until then, my wife is without remote capability. I have verified that it is, in fact, the satellite receiver and not the remote controller.

I am now in a quandry as to what to do until I get the Zenith. I don't want her to have to change channels by hand with the awkward 'channel up' and 'channel down' buttons on the face of the receiver, but I don't want to fork out a bunch of money for a new receiver that will be replaced in 6 months.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
1) are you sure it's the receiver and not the remote?

2) If you a little 'techhie', take the darned thing apart and see if you can replace the IR module yourself. I'm sure the parts can be obtained from a repair shop.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Go on ebay and buy another DRD102RW for a whopping $10. The call up DirecTv, or whomever you use, i.e. Pegasus, etc... Tell them your receiver dies, you have a replacement, and you want them to match your existing card to the new receiver. Make sure the new one is hooked up befor you call them. Also have the serial number and other numbers on the receiver available.

This is done all the time. They just have to match your card t the receiver ID. I am on my 3rd receiver and the same card. Later... Mike...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
On the early RCA receivers, there was a remote jack on the back the receiver. You were able to connect a cable from a remote extender(pyramid) receiver, so when point your remote at the transmitter in the other room, the signal would travel by RF to the pyramid receiver, then out via the cable into the sat receiver. The Proscan sat receiver came with a pair of remote extenders. Check the back of your sat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
can you plug a tivo into the back of it from the low or high speed data port?

then you have a reason to buy a tivo!

Natas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.