AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this was discussed elsewhere, but I cannot find it. So, if I may be so bold as to raise the question(s) again:

Re 5040

Why is it necessary (or is it?) to autotune the sat box (Dish) at least every 4 hours so as to defeat the display of the screen saver?

Why is it necessary to autotune the satbox (Dish) after the program update (3 am)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I don't get the question... are you saying while watching live TV the screen saver kicks in?
What he's talking about is a problem with the newer DishNetwork receivers where a screen saver on the receiver kicks in if there are no button presses on the remote for 4 hours as well as after the receiver's nightly download. It has nothing to do with ReplayTV (aside from a desire to not record the Dishnetwork screen saver).

[sarcasm for OP]

And whaddya know? A search here on "dishnetwork screen saver" turns up the following: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...k+screen+saver . Ain't search just friggin' amazing?

[/sarcasm for OP]

(Edited for clarity. :D )

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know that I ain't that good at searching. That why I asked. So?

Yes, the desire is not to record the Dish network screen saver.

The issue is linked to the RTV, isn't it, in the sense that setting up a programmed record in RTV gets you the Dish screen saver unless ...

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hilbert1862
The issue is linked to the RTV, isn't it, in the sense that setting up a programmed record in RTV gets you the Dish screen saver unless ...
ReplayTV doesn't initiate or cause the problem and can do nothing to prevent it. And it's not an "old rtv bug".

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
And it's a fairly recently introduced Dish "bug." Noone asked for it, and Dish pushed it into existing receivers as part of a new software update and enabled by default. This bit me, once; I soon found the switch in the setup and turned it off.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My reference to RTV bug was my impression that there was an action that the 5040 could take (see point 2, below), but I see now that this evidently has nothing to do with the RTV software design itself. Evidently I was confusing this with some other complaint (& I cannot recall the detail) that DNNA could have fixed a bug, which had been complained about, but DNNA didn't. BTW, what was that bug?)

Anyway, where's the switch? Is that the switch to cancel the daily update, or to cancel the inactivity screen saver?

(Who is Noone, and when was the feature -- are you referring to the inactivity screen saver or the daily update screensaver -- turned on?)

What I got from l8er's link was, in short:

From zojirushi on 4/18/04 (to me that was "old"), as restated:

1. Set the 322 autotune timer to fire after the 3 am Dish program guide download, to defeat the consequent Dishnetwork screen saver "Press to connect".

2. Set a one-minute manual recording on the 5040 every three hours to defeat the Dish four-hour inactivity screen saver. Recordings ordered from the RTV program guide will take precedence over the manual recordings.

If one does that, is it any more desirable to turn off the daily Dish update (IF that is what can be turned off)?

BTW: Dish told me that one can choose the update time on a 522, but not on a 322.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have an easier solution that I've implimented on one unit due to a similar problem.

Create a Zone channel for sit-coms. Give it a half hour total time, so each show will be replaced by the next. Also, give it the lowest Theme Priority you can.

There is always a sit-com on every half hour of the day, so something will get recorded (and the channel will get changed) every half hour.

It worked for me.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
On My 501 the inactivity switch is buried 3 layers down the menu. Menu/Setup/Installation/Inactivity Power Off

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all.

The so-called bug that I was confusing with the present issue is the "unsubscribed channel" issue, in which the RTV cannot succeed in entering another channell unless the 322 remote down (or up?) key is pressed. Is it true that DNNA could modify the RTv software to fix this, but did not?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Further re the unsubscribed channel issue: a naive point: having read the 5040 manual I d not see any referewnce to "channel deletion" using the 5040 Or did I miss something?

If I did not then "channel deletion" is actually achieved by way of "channel lock" on the 322. Right?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elsewehre (like yesterday on this forum, I see advice to use setup, add/remove channels, on the 5040.

So which works better: removal on the 5040, or lockout on the 322, or both?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks
I have an easier solution that I've implimented on one unit due to a similar problem.

Create a Zone channel for sit-coms. Give it a half hour total time, so each show will be replaced by the next. Also, give it the lowest Theme Priority you can.

There is always a sit-com on every half hour of the day, so something will get recorded (and the channel will get changed) every half hour.

It worked for me.
Quote:
2. Set a one-minute manual recording on the 5040 every three hours to defeat the Dish four-hour inactivity screen saver. Recordings ordered from the RTV program guide will take precedence over the manual recordings.
Can you please tell me how to do these. ? I can't figure out how to do the sitcom zone or the one minute manual recording. I thought I knew how to use the replaytv but these two things have me stumped.

I'm trying to learn all the methods to defeat this very antisocial screen saver, and then I'll try runing thru all of them to see which one works best.

I've already set the autotimer to switch channels 45 mintues after the autodownload. is there a better time to configure.

cheers

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
With the remote controller do the following:

Press Zones

Move pointer down until More, More, More! is highlighted

Press Select

Move the pointer down until Comedy is highlighted

Press Select

Make sure that the Create the "More!:Comedy" Zone Channel is highlighted.

Press Select

On the Keep field, press the right or left keys until 1/2 Hour appears

Press Select

Set the rest of the fields the way you want then navigate to Done

Press Select

·
Registered
5 Posts
In attempting to defeat the screen saver on my 322 receiver, I did try the suggestions in this thread, but didn't have much success.

I did find a solution posted in a tivo community forum that worked quite well for me so I'm posting it here in case anyone can benefit from it.

Posted by cbbyers at TIVO community forums:

"I rescheduled the daily update for 0445 hours and setup a VCR timer from 0500 hours - 0430 hours the next day. The long timer is to combat the screensaver mode that comes on if the receiver has been idle on the same channel for too long -- I think the threshold is 4 hours.

I picked 0445-0500 because my Tivo is never doing anything at this time. The screensaver is only on for a short period of time between 0445 and 0500 after the daily call and the 23.5 hour VCR timer seems to eliminate the screensaver idle issue.

The VCR timer does change the channel and will cause Tivo to record the wrong channel, so you'll want to schedule a start time when your Tivo is idle. I tried another one of the suggestions, which was to schedule a timer for 0500, 1000 & 1500, but my Tivo is working during those hours and I ended up recording the wrong channel.

I think the best suggestion thus far is the 23.5 hour VCR timer. It is working great for me so far. "

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.