AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've recently acquired a brand new Sega Saturn (standard black North American model) and would like to know what the highest quality cable I can use to output with, without having to physical modify the console. I currently own both a Sony KD-34XBR960 HDTV and Sony GDM-FW900 PC monitor.

Now I know RGB SCART is superior to S-video so I'm assuming RGB SCART is the highest quality cable to output with in this case (since you can only buy an RF, composite, S-video and RGB SCART cable for the Saturn). The thing is, RGB SCART is not a cable my American monitors can use obviously. So I was thinking of buying the Sega Saturn RGB SCART cable and converting the signal to component video with this adapter: http://www.converters.tv/products/co...oducts/46.html . The only thing that I think is wrong with this configuration is with audio. Doesn't the Sega Saturn RGB SCART cable output video AND audio through the SCART cable itself (Here's a LINK to a picture of the cable) In that case I don't think the converter would work because I would get no audio through the component end (since component cables only handle video). So really that brings me to square one. Am I stuck with S-video in this case or is there another way for me to use the RGB SCART cable and have audio? Is there an adapter/converter that takes an a/v RGB SCART cable and convert it to component with RCA audio output for example?

If anybody could help me that would be would be forever grateful. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to that. Anyone out there with Scart that can provide more insight? I too have a Saturn and run it through s-video. I would love to hear of a better way of connecting it to my HDTV. Aaahhhhh, nothing beats some old school game action. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes the scart saturn cable carries both audio and video, BUT I believe you can still pass the audio through the standard L/R jacks if they are hooked up as well. So you could use the scart for video and the regular stereo out for audio. Haven't done it myself though.

- Cryo

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryofax
Yes the scart saturn cable carries both audio and video, BUT I believe you can still pass the audio through the standard L/R jacks if they are hooked up as well. So you could use the scart for video and the regular stereo out for audio. Haven't done it myself though.

- Cryo
So wait a minute, the Saturn has two outputs like the Gamecube (or *does it actually have L/R audio outputs on the back?)? I haven't actually received my Saturn yet (waiting for it to ship) and haven't owned one for years. That would be great if that worked. Although it would be so much easier if there was a RGB SCART to Component adapter with audio out.

EDIT: Hey what about this: http://www.js-technology.com/product...products_id=36 ?

Here's what caught my interest:

Quote:
Audio is passed directly to the two phono outputs without modification to ensure optimum audio quality.
*EDIT 2: nope it doesn't seem like the SEGA Saturn has dedicated L/R audio outputs on the back. I'm going based off of this picture I found on the internet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aturn_rear.jpg

·
Registered
684 Posts
I must be getting old. I swear it had the L/R on there. Hmmm... Too many consoles clogging my brain...

- Cryo

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryofax
I must be getting old. I swear it had the L/R on there. Hmmm... Too many consoles clogging my brain...

- Cryo
Argh! Cryofax I thought you had some concrete info to better my situation when I seen you post! Here I went and clicked on the thread and THIS is what you post!? http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/banghead.gif

EDIT: Oh and before somebody says something, YES this is a very important issue for me. I am finding more and more solutions even though there ends up being a catch. For example, I've stumbled upon the XRGB-2 Plus RGB to VGA converter (which seems to be exactly what I need) and it's out of stock EVERYWHERE. Not to mention that it is only compatible with 21-pin RGB SCART cables (the Japanese version of SCART to be specific) and the Saturn supposedly only supports the European version.

*sigh*

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've confirmed that both the RGB to Component Converter and the RGB to Plasma VGA Converter from J.S. Technology take the audio from an RGB SCART cable and output the audio into L/R outputs. The only problem is you can only get those two converters on their website AND they only ship within Europe. So once again I am screwed in this situation... :mad:

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by govschmo
A quick google of RGB to Component Converter yeilded:
http://www.letsautomate.com/10895.cfm

audio is said to be passed.

Shipping(from help page):

Worldwide - 2-21 working days - Using UPS, or Royal Mail (email first)

Never used the companies myself. Sorry if this doesn't help.

Edit:
http://www.pluggedin.tv/item--RGB-to...er--JS-RGB-YUV

Also this one.
Sweet! So I can get that converter shipped to me in the US after all. The only problem I can think of now is what do I do in regards to the power cable? Since it was manufactured in Europe it would have a different prong. What kind of converter should I buy in this case?

·
Registered
461 Posts
You may want to contact that manufacturer via the link you 1st gave or see if a spec sheet manual is available in pdf to get the voltage, etc. Then you could take the specs to a shack and see what step down may be needed. Also see if the seller you choose to go with has a suggestion. Other than that, I couldn't say.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.