AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
You say it's an "old server i have laying around" and are asking whether it would make a decent server.... hmmmmm...... servers typically don't need to be much of anything and your having a 3GHz CPU tells me you know already what your path forward will be. Whether you want to use WHS is another question - I'm seeing a lot of traffic about MS & WHS you may should read up on. Personally I have an old FreeNAS system sporting 8 250GB HDDs, 4 as JBOD and the other 4 as a RAID5 and the entire system could be replaced with a single $69.00 Seagate this weekend! Is it worth the RAID5, the power to spin 8 HDDs... Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i think im going to dump the machine all together. i don't see much supportanymore for the components and the expandability is limited to drive size on that particular raid controller. that and it's a pci mobo limits alot of things. i thing the ole brute will be gutted and only the shell to be resurrected. it's a decently nice thermaltake case that was ~400$ at the time. man have things changed in 4 years. sheesh

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Several PCI-based SATA II controller cards available for under $50 if you go that route. It's tough retiring good hardware but if you find a way to create a high-capacity server then go for it! The mobo you show has several ATA connectors - keep an old parallel HDD for your system/optical drive and use the 2 on-board SATA connectors with one of these cards (adding 4 more ports) so you can utilize 6 SATA HDDs in some form of a RAID array.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the motivation andrew. i think it'll be nice to fire up the old brute (was a video work horse at one time with an audigy 2 ahahah) with some new lungs and legs.

now whether to load win7 ulti,whs or unraid. hmm and raid or jbod. so many decisions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If i recall the 3ghz p4's were prescott's, which are ridiculously power hungry. running one plus several hard drives would make for a very power hungry machine. You might be better off selling the machine as is and putting the money to something that will be more efficient.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain /forum/post/19664456

slap one of these http://www.cooldrives.com/8-channel-...-pci-card.html in this setup and make an unRAID server with 10drives?????

That's a PCI-X card. You need PCI. Won't work.

And I would agree with the previous post... you could build a new, energy efficient computer for cheap. A new processor, motherboard, and memory should be around $200, give or take a little depending on what you want.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL /forum/post/19669569

That's a PCI-X card. You need PCI. Won't work.

And I would agree with the previous post... you could build a new, energy efficient computer for cheap. A new processor, motherboard, and memory should be around $200, give or take a little depending on what you want.

Brandon

Recently, Newegg had a G31 mainboard/E5500 dual-core CPU combo special for $90. Add $30 for 2gb RAM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is true. I was thinking more HTPC-ish. Core i3 and 4GB of RAM.

I'm amazed at how inexpensively good *home* servers can be built.

However, I also just spent $25k for two new servers at work, along with iSCSI.

Brandon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts