AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to get rid of my land line. The only thing holding me back is my good old Showstopper (I think the model number is the 2000). I found a thread here that got rather detailed. I can build a computer, but can't go much further than that. Has anyone devised a (relatively simple) way to get an old Showstopper to "dial in" to a computer, which retrieves guide data over a broadband connection?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Besides the linux-box solution, there really isn't much out there.

There is an alternate method. You could always sell the Showstopper on Ebay for about $200-250 and buy a newer model that naturally uses your network.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
...buy a newer model that naturally uses your network.
With all of SonicBlue's troubles, is this advisable?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IndyJones1023
With all of SonicBlue's troubles, is this advisable?
Yes.....No.....Maybe

There is no good answer. It sure seems that D&M is going to keep pushing the Replay line and new software is coming out for the 5K models. There hasn't been an update on Showstopper for over a year and they are only dial-up.

If any of the Replay line is going to be dropped, it's going to be the older dial-up only models. Even if all the current Replay models get dropped, it will be a whole lot easier to get guide uploaded into a LAN based unit than a dial-up unit. I believe it's been done on both the network based and dial-up based just like extracting shows.

Ask the people who extract shows on both Showstopper (or Replay 2K/3K) and 4K/5K units which one is easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vonage sounds like a cool idea, too bad it's so expensive. I pay $21/month for a land line right now, so $26/month for Vonage isn't fiscally sound. If they had a featureless plan (no call waiting and extras) with only local calls for around $5/month they would probably make a killing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
yeah, but I figure that by getting vonage, I can knock $50/month off my cell phone plan. So I guess it made a little more sense for me. :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Simple? No. However, I have done it with WinXP's "Incoming Connections" feature, a phone line simulator, and some fairly nontrivial hacking of my Showstopper.

Setting up a Linux box could be done without hacking and maybe even without a phonesim. If you are into this, you might check out http://www.freesco.org/ . It is a Linux distro that can run from a floppy and act as a router and/or dial-in server. Although I have not tried it, I believe that with the right configuration it could be the closest thing to a simple solution there is.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Getting a newer unit can actually be less risky than holding onto an old unit. I sold my old Showstopper (upgraded) on Ebay for $440 and bought a new 5040 unit for $118 when they were on sale on Amazon. This was before the D&M decision. I actually came out ahead, and if ReplayTV had ceased to exist on April 15, I would have only been out $118, instead of $440 (net present value, of course :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The Apple Airport Extreme wireless base station can also accept incoming calls for a PPP connection into your local network and broadband.

http://www.apple.com/airport/

See #6:

6. Lets you phone home — literally

The PPP dial-in feature in AirPort Extreme lets you make one very important wireless connection — to your own Macintosh at home. Thanks to connectivity options such as DSL, cable and Ethernet, you can call the 56K V.90 modem-equipped AirPort Extreme Base Station at home when you’re at work or traveling. Need a document that’s on your Mac desktop at home? Not to worry. If your Mac is on, ready to share files, and connected to the Internet using the AirPort Extreme Base Station and a broadband connection, you can access it as well as the other computers on your home network that are set up for file sharing.

Seems like it has potential for this application, although you would be buying a pretty expensive piece of equipment to do this. However, it would also give you a 802.11g wireless network.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already have a 802.11g network. So, if I dedicate an old machine to a Linux Freesco box, I then connect the Showstopper via serial port to it and then what?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joea
Relatively simple? No.

Doubt if at all possible, that modem needs a dial tone.
This is incorrect. There is a hidden menu (that I can't remember off the top of my head how to get to, but it's in this thread somewhere) that allows you to disable the need for a dial tone to dial in. And installing a Linux solution for this isn't as difficult as you think. following the thread earlier in this post should help you figure it out. And I'm sure others (including myself) would be willing to help if you ran into problems. And this webite will be helpful as well.

And FYI, the box doesn't need to be very powerful to act asa dial-in server. Mine is a P-II 266 w/ 28MB RAM and ~3.2GB of HD space, which is hardly being used. I'll probably turn this box into a personal guide data server at some point, but with the Replay product line continuing on, I'm in no rush to get it done.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You can't connect via the showstopper serial port. You'll need to buy a phone line emulator to allow the showstopper modem to "dial" the modem in the linux box. Check the links above for prices (~$150)

Even disabling dial tone on the showstopper, you may need "battery voltage" on the line and a ringger on the FreeSCO box... the phone line emulator would take care of all that.

Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.