AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I installed a home theater in my basement with a 110" diagonal screen, Sanyo Z5 projector, surround sound, etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=959871

Upstairs I had a 10 year old Sony 32" CRT set that just died and I am in the market for a new flat panel set in the 50-55' range. I have never purchased a flat panel HDTV set and decided a good place to start is a posting here. I am thinking about a plasma since I have read the black level and viewing angle can be superior to an LCD. My viewing distance is about 10-11 ft. Which makes/models should I consider?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Pioneer - Panasonic/Samsung.

The Kuro is still the best flat panel on the market with the panny and sammy next.

The new models are about to hit the market so you may want to wait unless you want the Kuro. If so buy ASAP as they won't last too much longer.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find any Kuro's. Any that are left are almost double the price they were 6 months ago. I have a 50 inch Kuro and sit about 10 feet from screen. It's a great size, but now I wish I would have gone with a 60 inch screen instead. Bigger is better. If you go with a Panny or Samsung, make sure it has an ISF mode for calibration purposes. You will want to get any plasma calibrated as may have a red push that can not be totally eliminated just by adjusting tint and color.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. depending on yr budget, the Panasonic 54S1 would be a good start; also, a good size w/ regards to yr viewing distance. btw, Panasonic only maker of 54"ers. For 50"ers, the Samsung B650 or the S1 Panasonic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
budget wise get the Pn50b650 its has lots of connectivity and has a great picture... If you want the new look (slim as the led's with picture and no motion blur) go with the pn50b850. I have one and every one thinks its a led...

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD /forum/post/18179074

.....Upstairs I had a 10 year old Sony 32" CRT set that just died and I am in the market for a new flat panel set in the 50-55' range. I have never purchased a flat panel HDTV set and decided a good place to start is a posting here. I am thinking about a plasma since I have read the black level and viewing angle can be superior to an LCD. My viewing distance is about 10-11 ft. Which makes/models should I consider?

You didn't mention a budget, but if it were me i'd wait till the upcoming Panasonic G25 model debuts (probably within a month), or if you don't mind spending more the new VT25 series will follow. Both series are available in 50" and 54", and both are discussed in the "Panasonic 2010 Plasma Models" thread.

Unless, of course, you can find a Kuro

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Value Electronics still have Kuros (according to their site)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has there been any reviews of the G25's yet and especially how they compare to the Kuros? It looks like the G25s are about to hit the shelves but the new V series is still several months off. How big a difference is the V series and is it worth waiting for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts