AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JBL PB10 is no longer working; testing suggests that the amp is blown. I could really use some suggestions for a new subwoofer.

1. Budget. I am looking to stay under $200 shipped if possible. I do realize this limits my options, but I didn't expect to be replacing a sub right now.

2. Size requirements/limits. 10" or 12"; form factor in the range of 18" square or less.

3. Room dimensions. My current HT room is about 1500 cubic feet and open to stairs and kitchen/hallway. Ideally, I'd like a sub that could work reasonably well in case I ever decide to move the HT to my bonus room (~3500 cubic feet and enclosed).

4. Primary uses. I would say 75% HT/TV viewing and 25% music (though musical quality is important to me).

5. Listening habits. I will only rarely be listening at high volumes (young kids sleeping upstairs at night!).

6. Appearance requirements. Nicer finish is better, but due to the room configuration the sub will likely be hidden.

7. Timeframe. Not urgent, but I really want to test drive my new AVR.

I have spent a fair amount of time researching this already and my initial list of possibilities includes the following:

Dayton SUB-120

Velodyne VX-10

PA-120 (I realize this would run me about $230 shipped)

Any thoughs on these subs for my needs or any others that I should be considering?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
For $200 plus shipping Audio Advisor has the Boston SUB-10 and the Energy ESW-10 for $185 plus shipping.

The PA-120 is still the pick of the litter IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterankoman /forum/post/15483170

For $200 plus shipping Audio Advisor has the Boston SUB-10 and the Energy ESW-10 for $185 plus shipping.

The PA-120 is still the pick of the litter IMHO.

Thanks for making some additional recommendations. Right now I am scanning craigslist for deals and debating about whether I can break my budget for the PA-120. Anyone have thoughts on the 10" subs noted (Velo, Boston, Energy)?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I have to say that the PA-120 concerns me. It isn't listed on the Premier Acoustics website and does not look like their standard line of product. Also, the 10" models from their standard line are more expensive than the 12" PA-120. MAkes me wonder if this isn't a cheaper line they are selling through ebay retailers. But, people have given it rave reviews.

I just don't now a lot about the Dayton subs. They are reasonably priced though! Personally, I have an old Infinity that has an amp issue. It is a 10" sub that sounded pretty decent in my opinion. I just figured, if I am going to spend some money to repair or replace it, I might as well upgrade to a 12". At around $200, there aren't many options. The Dayton is there. The PA-120 is close but I have my concerns. There is the Infinity PS212 that is also close. That may have similar amp issues but, as an electrical engineer, I think I know how to solve them and prevent another amp failure down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did notice that about the PA-120 as well - but there has been a lot of good feedback. I worry a bit about the musicality of the Dayton.

I continue to welcome additional feedback from the board and will mull this over with an eye on craigslist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts