AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm familiar with the sound of the SR7000, 7200, and 7300, and I'm wondering if anyone with experience with the older models has the newer series.

The 7000 and 7200 sounded mellow, not harsh no matter what speakers were used. I really liked this characteristic (what many people describe as "warm").

Moving to the 7300, there was greater detail up high, but bass was somewhat less (if no subwoofer was present). I'd characterize the sound as "neutral," though still not at all harsh, but I'd be inclined to say exceptionally bright speakers would not be ideal with the 7300.

I am not familiar with the 7400 or 7500, though from reading I get the impression that the sound hadn't changed much from the 7300.

Any thoughts on how the newest models compare?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, in this quickly-changing hobby I consider an eight-year old receiver "old time" :^)

Seriously, no-one has had any of the earlier models to compare with the 7001-8002?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had an older Marantz AV9000 preamp that I really, really loved. Sound was amazing. But it's seriously limited in today's world.

So I bought a 7001. I'm getting ready to sell it.

The new model doesn't have that "warm" quality that the older one did. I suspect it's due to Marantz being bought out by Denon. My Marantz 7001 has the harder, colder sound of a Denon. Particularly on music.

Please try them out for yourself, but that's been my experience.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just moved from an older Denon AVR2400 to a Marantz 8002. World of difference. The new Marantz is much sweeter sounding to me. I liked it better than the new Denons.

I had an old Marantz 2275 receiver...still miss it. Now that was a warm sound...but that may be more old time than you want

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1davis /forum/post/12985358

I had an older Marantz AV9000 preamp that I really, really loved. Sound was amazing. But it's seriously limited in today's world.

So I bought a 7001. I'm getting ready to sell it.

The new model doesn't have that "warm" quality that the older one did. I suspect it's due to Marantz being bought out by Denon. My Marantz 7001 has the harder, colder sound of a Denon. Particularly on music.

Though not as warm, I found the 7300 to be much more dynamic than the 6200 I had (almost exactly the same as a 7200), especially for DD and DTS processing. How was your experience with the 7001 for movies?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts