·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Nice looking facility!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice setup!

How would you compare the dynamics to the statements? Ive been looking into both but am undecided as of yet. If you already did somewhere, could you point me in that direction?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas 89L98 /forum/post/19886663

Nice setup!

How would you compare the dynamics to the statements? Ive been looking into both but am undecided as of yet. If you already did somewhere, could you point me in that direction?

I'll start by saying both teh Statements and Dynamics use the same midrange drivers, and I love them. The Scan Speak HDS tweeter used in the Dynamics is the same tweeter that I used in the 2-way bookshelf build and I fell in love with it at that time. Comparing the HDS dome with the ribbon, there is a noticeable sound difference. On most songs, I notice the difference but I can't tell which I like more. There are tracks where I miss the ribbons. I have some amazing reference recordings of choral and classical pieces. The ribbons had a more airy, light, and real sound. But with several of my jazz and rock recordings, I like the HDS dome better. More laid back but just as detailed.

The Statements are more of a full range speaker, but their size helps with that. The Dynamics have plenty of bass, but for HT use, you need a sub. You could almost get by without a sub when using the Statements.

So my final verdict? In my room, I like the Dynamics better. They sound great and they fit better with my setup. If I had a 2-channel only room, or an AT screen setup, the Statements would never have been replaced.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Year: 2011

I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner. I have often gone into the theater and wanted to cued something up on the PS3 or listen to a Blu-Ray concert disc but always hated turning on the projector just to see the menu's. So tonight I added a 24 inch LED TV to the side wall.

When not in use, it sets nearly flat against the side wall.

When I want to see what is on TV, or cue up a Blu-Ray, I can use only the TV.

I also have the option of running two different sources to each screen. Or of course the same source to both screens.

Now I just need to reprogram my Harmony 900 with some shortcuts for all the switching back and forth I will do.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Very good job! I've been wondering if there are any better specific/affordable HT remotes out there, or if the harmony or an iPad would work best?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/19914460

Very good job! I've been wondering if there are any better specific/affordable HT remotes out there, or if the harmony or an iPad would work best?

I think it's mostly preference on the remote and cost. My first universal remote was the Harmony One. It was very easy to setup and the Activities were pretty helpful. I upgraded to the Harmony 900 because it was an RF remote and I got tired of pointing the remote to the side wall where my equipment was with the Harmony One. My only real complaint about either is it isn't truly customizable with very detailed macros. It's pretty flexible, but not completely. But for the price I paid for each of my Harmony remotes (about 50% retail), I'm satisfied.

The iPad looks to be a nice, large touch screen and is one of the main reasons I think Pronto and Crestron have discontinued their touch screen remotes. But I personally haven't seen or used any of the remote program apps for the iPad yet.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx /forum/post/19914785

Didn't think Tron 2 was available yet to consumers...

It's not.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Finally had time to put the final "finish touches" on the sub and thought I would include a few new photos.

·
Registered
719 Posts
How have you liked the Dynamic 4's? Been looking at a set up with three CCs, just wondering your thoughts on them. Any glairing weeknesses?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I really like the Dynamics. No weaknesses that I can think of. Perfect by themselves for two channel listening. For home theater use they are mated with my sealed sub which provides a perfect, clean low end.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just made a purchase for my latest upgrade. I'm building a 4 TB home media server so I can rip all my BluRay movies and favorite DVD movies to the server and be able to stream them to my theater, living room, or bedroom TV. I will also be able to access all the files from my iPhone or any computer hooked up to the internet using a specific web address. Pictures and details once the items show up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice looking theater. The speakers look amazing. Nice job.

But something else gets my attention...does that bike frame say Litespeed?
What component group you running?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltrophy24 /forum/post/20055464

But something else gets my attention...does that bike frame say Litespeed?
What component group you running?

That bike does say Litespeed.
I'm running an Ultegra 10-speed group. It came with Real Design wheels but I upgraded those to Ksyrium SL wheels (after the theater and after the photo was taken). I really like the bike but I don't get to ride much anymore because of my golf and sand volleyball schedule. It makes me embarrassed to admit this, but last year the bike never left the garage. I've thought about trying to find a good home for it, but hate the idea of selling it.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan /forum/post/20055665

That bike does say Litespeed.
I'm running an Ultegra 10-speed group. It came with Real Design wheels but I upgraded those to Ksyrium SL wheels (after the theater and after the photo was taken). I really like the bike but I don't get to ride much anymore because of my golf and sand volleyball schedule. It makes me embarrassed to admit this, but last year the bike never left the garage. I've thought about trying to find a good home for it, but hate the idea of selling it.

I know exactly what you mean. I've got 4 bikes now, I sold one and I regret it now. lol. I've been trying to ride my trainer some, but I just can't get into that. It's boring. Last year was the first year I've rode a road bike. I've always rode the mountain bike. But after I get my theater room finished, I don't know that I'll want to ride either bike...

That's a nice wheelset on your bike too. But you need to give up golf to ride...that's what I did.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After reading your threads I am considering modeling my theater after yours. I really like the soud insulation approach but I am concerned with sound migrating into the adjacent rooms. My primary use for the space will be late night movie watching and I am trying not to disturb the wife and kids. How does your construction preform? The speakers are AWESOME. I can see them in my future also!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks awilcox. If you have the ability to do double dry way on the other side of your theater walls, with green glue in between, you won't have to worry much about sound escaping the theater. I'm not saying that there won't be any, I'm just saying it won't be any worse than if you don't have the internal wall cavaity opened up to act as a bass trap.

My biggest glaring point of sound escaping from my room is my french doors with the glass. Basically offsets all the other sound isloation work I did. But, I like the look to much to change it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Because I will be constructing the walls I have some flexibility. My thoughts were to build a room within a room but this construction is far more involved and it deals with sound isolation. The down side is it decreases the interior room dimensions. Did you use dbl dry wall with gg on both side

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Only two of my four walls are interior walls (the other two are foundation walls). On the two walls that are interior, I used DD and GG and both sides. I also used the staggered stud method when framing the rear wall.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts