AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post in this forum. I have an old (1999)Yamaha RX-V795 receiver. For about a month my right surround sound speaker makes a popping noise when I turn on or switch modes or switch anything (TV, Dish) connected to it. I switched out the speaker with the left surround speaker and also tried new wire - made no difference. This popping noise goes away as the receiver warms up.

Any help would be appreciated. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
273 Posts
If the noise goes away when it warms up, it sounds like a failing capacitor or a bad solder joint somewhere to me.

Capacitors sometimes take time to build up their full charge, and if they get a leak the electolyte in them can evaporate and they don't maintain the charge as well as they used to. A competent repair shop may be able to fix the problem, but it's probably going to cost more than a replacement receiver.

Solder joints are less likely of an issue, but as the unit warms up - things expand, and it can expand enough that a solder joint that wasn't making good contact firms up enough that the problem goes away. Again, can be fixed by a shop, but expensive due to diagnostics and repair charges.

Might be time to start looking at new receivers. =(

Greg

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer. Since I don't want to spend money on repairs or get a new receiver now, do you think this will get worse or do any damage to my speaker or other speakers? I can live with it if it stays as is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts