AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched this tonight, and am too tired for much of a writeup - but wow I really liked this movie. Original shocking plot, though not filled up with gratuitous violence, original cinematography, good looking and good sounding. I actually preferred it to Layer Cake which I also liked this week.

I'm glad Blockbuster's picking up more in the way of Asian Cinema. Good stuff.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Almost picked it up yesterday. Have to wait until the wife is out of town.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Does this issue have a sort of dirty, brownish-looking tint to the color? Apparently sometimes the color has been "corrected" to a more normal range of hues, but in the theaters here at least the color was manipulated.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood
Does this issue have a sort of dirty, brownish-looking tint to the color? Apparently sometimes the color has been "corrected" to a more normal range of hues, but in the theaters here at least the color was manipulated.
I've read it was the intent of the director to have a more muted color palette for the film. In the original theatrical and R3 DVD release it was; but on later releases it was cleaned up to look more normal. I have the R2 Tartan DVD and it looks cleaner than the original one I borrowed from a friend.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
In the original theatrical and R3 DVD release it was; but on later releases it was cleaned up to look more normal.

That's why I am curious how the R1 looks. If I'm going to get it, I want it to look the way the director wanted it to look.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Quote:
In the original theatrical and R3 DVD release it was; but on later releases it was cleaned up to look more normal.

That's why I am curious how the R1 looks. If I'm going to get it, I want it to look the way the director wanted it to look.
I'm assuming it may be the same transfer as the R2 Tartan I have; since this is the R1 version by the same company.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Hard to say without seeing another version. Some of the film looks very stylized colorwise with the characters looking green (though it's outside at night so maybe green neon reflection?). But there are many scenes where the color has clearly been played with to good effect. I thought this was an oustanding disc PQ wise for a foreign film (though they seem to be catching up). Excellent detail, color, blacklevel, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.