AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my EH55 almost exclusively for the last few years. A couple of days ago I embarked on a project for my wife, converting her work-out VHS tapes to DVDs. I decided not to use the same machine for this specific project that I use for my daily recordings, so I took out of storage, my EH50.

There were two things I noticed.

First, the fluorescent display was so dim, I thought it was set to "dimmer" in the setup menu. Well, it wasn't, because when I set it to dimmer, the display almost went completely away. I could barely tell the unit was on, much less read what was showing.

Second, the "view chapters" page was different. On the EH50, the time marking on the chapters shows where in the title the chapter starts, so they are all progressive. On the EH55, it shows the time length of each chapter instead, in my opinion, a much more useful number. I THINK the EH59/69 has both numbers, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, I much prefer the duration number. Maybe Panasonic learned something along the way. What that number actually shows isn't even listed in the various manuals for the units, at least not that I saw. If it's in there, I would like to know where.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/20839352

Second, the "view chapters" page was different. On the EH50, the time marking on the chapters shows where in the title the chapter starts, so they are all progressive. On the EH55, it shows the time length of each chapter instead, in my opinion, a much more useful number. I THINK the EH59/69 has both numbers, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, I much prefer the duration number. Maybe Panasonic learned something along the way. What that number actually shows isn't even listed in the various manuals for the units, at least not that I saw. If it's in there, I would like to know where.

Dang, I don't know if I've ever used this feature..... I have to look it up when I get home tonight. Sometmes is pays to flip through the manual and look for features that you weren't ready for when you first started using the piece of gear but can benefit from now.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
The dim display is a very common issue with older Panasonics, I believe it means the capacitors are starting to fade. FWIW my ES-30v's have been very dim for several years now but they keep on ticking(just hard to read the display).

BTW I never use the "view chapters" function but brought it up once I read your post. I agree, the EH-55 is a nicer display.

My biggest like of my EH-55's(besides the option to burn DL media) would be the ability to push drive select(on the unit) very quickly to move between DVD and HDD. The EH-50's are slower than molasses and bug to me no end, stopping for what seems like eons on the dang SD card. I also use ES-25 remotes to control my EH-50's and EH-55's but I know you like the older remotes. I don't like the square feeling and smaller buttons of the '05 and older remotes.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I forgot to mention that aside from the two things I mentiond, and jjeff's comment about the EH50 being NOTICEABLY slower than the EH55, which is NOTICEABLY slower then the EH59/69, everything else works exactly like it should. I don't think I had durned it on in over a year, but the clock was still (close to) right, and the DVD burner is still functional.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your'e right the drive select is very slow to change, but I can't complain since I've had mine since 2005 and even with regular use it still functions perfectly in what it was designed to do. It's a real quality-built machine.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/20839664

...My biggest like of my EH-55's(besides the option to burn DL media) would be the ability to push drive select(on the unit) very quickly to move between DVD and HDD. The EH-50's are slower than molasses and bug to me no end, stopping for what seems like eons on the dang SD card. I also use ES-25 remotes to control my EH-50's and EH-55's but I know you like the older remotes. I don't like the square feeling and smaller buttons of the '05 and older remotes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekoler /forum/post/20842756

Your'e right the drive select is very slow to change, but I can't complain since I've had mine since 2005 and even with regular use it still functions perfectly in what it was designed to do. It's a real quality-built machine.

I use the older remote, and it has two drive select buttons for the HDD and DVD drives. These buttons on this older remote work on every machine I own, even the EH69.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that one thing the EH50 lacks, is a copy and finalize option. I have to remember to do that finalize step separately, which wasn't a problem before the EH55, but since then, it is hard to remember given the EH55s single selection to do both.

I know what you mean, it IS a well built machine. It has been working flawlessly for me on this project.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Since I'm using a newer '06 remote with my EH-50's I only have the drive select button which always pauses for what seems forever on the middle SD card position

Funny you should mention the extra dialog box of copy and finalize....since I never use that option it's just one more step for me with the EH-55/59 and to me anyway, one of the pluses of the older EH-50.

I'm guessing everyone uses these machines in a different manner
One persons + is anothers -

All we can agree on is they are nice machines

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The EH50 is, without a doubt, a very nice machine indeed. really, the differences between the EH50 and EH55 models are mostly minor (with the possible exception of DL disk support). The improvements with the EH55 are hardly ground-breaking. I wouldn't be using the EH50 for this project if it was annoyingly more cumbersome. My EH50 is still an excellent machine! (...and it allows up to 99 playlists...
)

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A real interesting thing happened last evening. I mentioned in the original post in this thread that my current/new project is converting my wife's work-out VHS tapes to DVDs. These things have CP of some kind on them because the machine won't copy them without a device on the video signal. Well, yesterday I discovered a VHS tape that would not copy even with my trusty Video Filter in line. The other tapes did, but the one would not--tried it twice! I replaced the Video Filter with my Sima, and then the copy worked. I have no explanation. This is the first time such a thing as happened, maybe the first time such a thing has been reported.

It got part way through the tape, maybe 25 minutes or so, then the recorder went into pause mode for most of the remainder of the tape. It seemed to unpause for the closing credits. The recording had an icon that (on page 40 of the EH75 manual) says, "Title that was not recorded due to recording protection (Digital broadcasts, etc.)"

Weird!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.