AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an old RPTV from Pioneer (Elite PRO710HD) that only accepts component video. Now, as newer technologies come out they only carry the HDMI output for HDTV signals as opposed to the Analog component video. I am wondering if it is possible (even with all the HDCP stuff) to take an HDMI output and turn it into component video? I am open to all solutions - cables, converter boxes, receivers, etc.

If anyone has used the "Monster GameLink Component Video and Fiber Optic Digital Audio A/V Kit for PLAYSTATION® 3" (or similar product) to accomplish this, I would like to know how it turned out? (LINK: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4202 )

Ultimately, I would like to get a receiver that will accept all HDMI connections and output to a single HDMI port. From that single port I can convert signal into component video to input to my TV.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi;

I have the same TV and would also like to solve this problem. I know that there may be some legal issues about selling a HDMI to Analog converter because of anti piracy concerns however there should be a solution for people like us! I would be willing to sign a no piracy agreement if I had to. Maybe someone could produce a kit to make an adapter. All the TVs with HDMI input must convert the digital signal to analog internally so the electronic componets must be available in some form or another.

Thanks for asking the question first.

Del............

·
Registered
146 Posts
The other side of that Monster cable is not hdmi. Its an a/v multimedia adapter that connects to the a/v multimedia port on the back of ps2 and ps3 devices. As far as I know there is no legal way to go from component to hdmi with hdcp. If you are want to go hdmi to component without hdcp you can use something like a Lumagen.

hdmi device -> hdmi/dvi adaptor -> Lumagen -> dvi/component -> tv

HDMI is not really required right now as the ps3, blu-ray, and hd-dvd players will allow you to use component until probably 2010. We'll see if they come out with a solution for early adopters or if we are expected to toss the tv's.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
2010 is not far off. You might want to wait until some solution is announced before buying a Blu-Ray or HDDVD DVD player since the current models will throw away half the resolution (similar to today's cheap 1080p HDTV's) if they get a copy protected disk and output component video.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/hdtvnot.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.