AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1791 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
Folks it seems like high brightness TRUE RGB is coming in next month, albeit in a Panasonic Business projector. Rob Sabin wrote a great article about LED coming out from the shadows recently and I found this potential gem: https://www.projectorcentral.com/expo2020/panasonic.htm#PT-LRZ35 While the potential to cover greater gamut is there; it doesn't look like there's HDR capability natively, still 1080p single chip; and may not have as good of a dynamic/native contrast as SIMs or DC4's of the past. Nevertheless, hopeful this tech will soon come down to mid-higher range projectors. No word on pricing yet. Even so I am wondering if this projector is reasonbly priced, like BenQ LK lasers, we can maybe work some magic with this by using combination of HD FURY/ UB420/820 to enable SDR BT2020. With this high brightness, combined with a neutral density filters to improve black levels; this could be a real winner if 4k res is not an absolute requirement.
Take a look at the Xiami Mijia ALPD3.0, 2000 lumens of rgb laser(albiet one red/blue laser and one blue laser phosphor for green) and almost full dci-p3 coverage(more green less red).
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/06/07/2020/test-xiaomi-mijia-alpd3-0-lavis-de-gregory/

And the Chiq C8UT, true rgb laser, 1500 lumens with 100% bt2020
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/19/06/2020/test-chiq-c8ut-lavis-de-gregory/

The question about that panasonic is it all leds, or are there phosphors involved, whats the native gamut/spectrum, and what's the actual calibrated light output. Panasonic has some hybrid led/laser models that can do around 1000 lumens calibrated, like the PT-RZ470.

Another nice benefit of the high brightness is being able to use darker shades of screen material to shift contrast as opposed to use neutral density filters. 2000 lumens on a 100" 0.25gain black screen will give you 16-17fl.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wow!!

Folks it seems like high brightness TRUE RGB is coming in next month, albeit in a Panasonic Business projector. Rob Sabin wrote a great article about LED coming out from the shadows recently and I found this potential gem:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/expo2020/panasonic.htm#PT-LRZ35

While the potential to cover greater gamut is there; it doesn't look like there's HDR capability natively, still 1080p single chip; and may not have as good of a dynamic/native contrast as SIMs or DC4's of the past. Nevertheless, hopeful this tech will soon come down to mid-higher range projectors. No word on pricing yet.

Even so I am wondering if this projector is reasonbly priced, like BenQ LK lasers, we can maybe work some magic with this by using combination of HD FURY/ UB420/820 to enable SDR BT2020. With this high brightness, combined with a neutral density filters to improve black levels; this could be a real winner if 4k res is not an absolute requirement.

Food for fodder.................
Another forgotten LED DLP projector is the Hitachi LP-WU3500, 3500 lumen HLD projector.

https://www.hitachi.com.au/dps/products/data-projectors/large-venue/LPWU3500.html

Can be had new, pretty cheap.

Reactions: bdht and XK_HT

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
Reactions: XK_HT

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
I wonder what the gamut on the Hitachi LP-WU3500 is?

Any idea why some LEDs quote 20000 hours and others quote 30000hours lifetime, that is a big difference.
Probably depends on the laser manufacturer, how bright it is / what the power consumption is, and if it has dynamic dimming

Reactions: MDesigns

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any idea why some LEDs quote 20000 hours and others quote 30000hours lifetime, that is a big difference.
Nice - the only difference as I understand is that, with the panasonic coming out next month, there's no phosphor involved with the RGB LED or color wheel (will need more details when it comes out) but from the documentation, it seems like its discreet LEDs in a sealed environment. With this much color brightness - some trickery of rec2020 signals and low gain/filters, it could be the winner (with the only shortcoming being the resolution). Heck, a darbee processor would also improve sharpness a bit :)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
Nice - the only difference as I understand is that, with the panasonic coming out next month, there's no phosphor involved with the RGB LED or color wheel (will need more details when it comes out) but from the documentation, it seems like its discreet LEDs in a sealed environment. With this much color brightness - some trickery of rec2020 signals and low gain/filters, it could be the winner (with the only shortcoming being the resolution). Heck, a darbee processor would also improve sharpness a bit :)
Oh excellent, yes this should be the brightest phosphorless rgb led yet, very cool. Finally there on high brightness rgb solid state, very exciting. If they can just figure out 2chip we'll have true hdr dlp projectors.

Resolution shouldnt be an issue unless you're gaming or sitting close to a very large screen. High pixel fill uniformly illuminated solid state single chip non-shifting dlp with high ansi contrast is incredibly sharp, like emissive display pixel perfect sharp. and some luma transient enhancement can impart a shockingly three dimensional look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh excellent, yes this should be the brightest phosphorless rgb led yet, very cool. Finally there on high brightness rgb solid state, very exciting. If they can just figure out 2chip we'll have true hdr dlp projectors.

Resolution shouldnt be an issue unless you're gaming or sitting close to a very large screen. High pixel fill uniformly illuminated solid state single chip non-shifting dlp with high ansi contrast is incredibly sharp, like emissive display pixel perfect sharp. and some luma transient enhancement can impart a shockingly three dimensional look.
True,

I honestly sometimes feel like picking up a scrap 0.95 DMD chip 1080p projector and work on a R&D project to combine with RGB/ALPD laser or RGB led - hooked with a quality lens, 16x ultra fast dimming and maybe a AI chip with smart capability to have native support for 3rd party Auto tone mapping software and hdmi 2.1. With so much creative and technical talent on this forum alone I dont see how we can't disrupt the status quo. Even without 4k, that 1080 .95 chip will probably outperform all pixelshifting 4k DLPs.

For some strange reason, projector manufactures always leave us yearning for more... like Epson not coming out with an LS10500 upgrade (even if just a refresh with HDMI 2.0 or 2.1), perhaps because they make more margins with 5050ub, or Optoma not including RGBRgB color wheel in UHZ65; perhaps because it'll reduce sales elsewhere?, or BenQ not adding a fast Dynamic Iris to improve blacks of HT9060 when you actually have it in the much cheaper HT5550? LG could have killed it if they had a serious lens and Iris in their recent LED projectors.

O well........................lol

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #849 (Edited)
I honestly sometimes feel like picking up a scrap 0.95 DMD chip 1080p projector and work on a R&D project to combine with RGB/ALPD laser or RGB led - hooked with a quality lens, 16x ultra fast dimming and maybe a AI chip with smart capability to have native support for 3rd party Auto tone mapping software and hdmi 2.1. With so much creative and technical talent on this forum alone I dont see how we can't disrupt the status quo. Even without 4k, that 1080 .95 chip will probably outperform all pixelshifting 4k DLPs.
That's essentially what alot of us did here, just simply finding an old high end dlp projector and using madvr. The Sim2 Mico is hands down the sharpest projector I've ever seen, and the best color performance of any video display I've seen. Single 0.95" 1080p chip, no misconvergence, ultra high quality lens with virtually no chromatic aberration, high ansi contrast 800:1 with no haloing, high pixel fill, perfect uniformity, ultra wide gamut at 90% bt2020(hits red target, not quite green though), 3chip dlp color depth performance, 600 lumens but looks like 800-900, measured 3000:1 native contrast with 15000:1 dynamic contrast(almost imperceptible, no pumping, but that slightest unavoidable clipping/compression due to the gamma correction and reduced light output), further increased contrast due to the perceived brightness, no color wheel induced flicker, rbe, or solarizations, and the best pixel level performance available resulting in perfect motion/video, noise free, and instantaneous pixel perfect color/luminance accuracy.

Alot of people here have been looking at similar models, or old 3chip models from runco and sim2, or even single chip models from sim2 with auto-iris+lamp dimming and expanded p3 gamuts.

For some strange reason, projector manufactures always leave us yearning for more... like Epson not coming out with an LS10500 upgrade (even if just a refresh with HDMI 2.0 or 2.1), perhaps because they make more margins with 5050ub, or Optoma not including RGBRgB color wheel in UHZ65; perhaps because it'll reduce sales elsewhere?, or BenQ not adding a fast Dynamic Iris to improve blacks of HT9060 when you actually have it in the much cheaper HT5550? LG could have killed it if they had a serious lens and Iris in their recent LED projectors.
Market demand I think is what affected the ht9060, using a 0.95" chip(or even a 1080p 0.67" chip) at 1500 lumens would have been very nice, but 4K won the day. The ht9060 does have led dimming though, smart eco, native is 1000:1 and smart eco(dynamic) is 4000:1, but the pixel shifting destroys ansi contrast, 150:1? From what I could gather from pixel level shots, it really effects sharpness as well. I've also heard reports of it affecting motion.

0.95" DC3/4, and you can at least gather that that's what the non-shifting 2160p dmds look like

And some modern projectors courtesy of projectorcentral:

·
Registered
JVC RS2000,Runco Q750,Hitachi LP-WU3500,DPI M-Vision 260HB,130in 2:35.1,MadVR,Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,325 Posts
The darbee works wonders on 1080p projectors. Using one with my Runco Q750 and its definitely a noticable difference with sharpness and clarity to an already sharp display.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000,Runco Q750,Hitachi LP-WU3500,DPI M-Vision 260HB,130in 2:35.1,MadVR,Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,325 Posts
Wow!!

Folks it seems like high brightness TRUE RGB is coming in next month, albeit in a Panasonic Business projector. Rob Sabin wrote a great article about LED coming out from the shadows recently and I found this potential gem:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/expo2020/panasonic.htm#PT-LRZ35

While the potential to cover greater gamut is there; it doesn't look like there's HDR capability natively, still 1080p single chip; and may not have as good of a dynamic/native contrast as SIMs or DC4's of the past. Nevertheless, hopeful this tech will soon come down to mid-higher range projectors. No word on pricing yet.

Even so I am wondering if this projector is reasonbly priced, like BenQ LK lasers, we can maybe work some magic with this by using combination of HD FURY/ UB420/820 to enable SDR BT2020. With this high brightness, combined with a neutral density filters to improve black levels; this could be a real winner if 4k res is not an absolute requirement.

Food for fodder.................
Or using MadVR to get a great HDR image, which many of us do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's essentially what alot of us did here, just simply finding an old high end dlp projector and using madvr. The Sim2 Mico is hands down the sharpest projector I've ever seen, and the best color performance of any video display I've seen. Single 0.95" 1080p chip, no misconvergence, ultra high quality lens with virtually no chromatic aberration, high ansi contrast 800:1 with no haloing, high pixel fill, perfect uniformity, ultra wide gamut at 90% bt2020(hits red target, not quite green though), 3chip dlp color depth performance, 600 lumens but looks like 800-900, measured 3000:1 native contrast with 15000:1 dynamic contrast(almost imperceptible, no pumping, but that slightest unavoidable clipping/compression due to the gamma correction and reduced light output), further increased contrast due to the perceived brightness, no color wheel induced flicker, rbe, or solarizations, and the best pixel level performance available resulting in perfect motion/video, noise free, and instantaneous pixel perfect color/luminance accuracy.

Alot of people here have been looking at similar models, or old 3chip models from runco and sim2, or even single chip models from sim2 with auto-iris+lamp dimming and expanded p3 gamuts.

Market demand I think is what affected the ht9060, using a 0.95" chip(or even a 1080p 0.67" chip) at 1500 lumens would have been very nice, but 4K won the day. The ht9060 does have led dimming though, smart eco, native is 1000:1 and smart eco(dynamic) is 4000:1, but the pixel shifting destroys ansi contrast, 150:1? From what I could gather from pixel level shots, it really effects sharpness as well. I've also heard reports of it affecting motion.

0.95" DC3/4, and you can at least gather that that's what the non-shifting 2160p dmds look like

And some modern projectors courtesy of projectorcentral:

Wow, that's awesome - I'll look into finding some of these gems ;). I love sony projectors but issues with convergence puts me off; can't beat the single chip on sharpness for sure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The darbee works wonders on 1080p projectors. Using one with my Runco Q750 and its definitely a noticable difference with sharpness and clarity to an already sharp display.
Love Darbee but for some reason, its been 4 years and they haven't come out with a 4k HDR solution (In terms of signal acceptance). It's likely that they would prefer to work with display providers and others to put out a cloud based processing solution instead. For 1080p, if used correctly, really does app that pop in the picture. Even worked for an old 720p DLP I had for gaming from back in the day.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Love Darbee but for some reason, its been 4 years and they haven't come out with a 4k HDR solution (In terms of signal acceptance). It's likely that they would prefer to work with display providers and others to put out a cloud based processing solution instead. For 1080p, if used correctly, really does app that pop in the picture. Even worked for an old 720p DLP I had for gaming from back in the day.
I know we hoped for one that accepts a 4k input but it works fine with the PC route for MadVR. However, not everyone has that workaround option. It's really a good add on

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
Theres definitely something to be said for high bit rate processing even with sdr. And no one should turn their nose up at high quality sharpening either. People tend to speak highly of sonys and epsons onboard sharpening tools. Now imagine applying those to already pixel perfect dlp, the three dimensional depth imparted is breathtaking.
@tbase1 sorry if i asked this already, but have you tried setting filter > lti and/or cti to low? Additionally with sharpness set to normal and detail enhancement to 2. Its worked phenomenally well with content shot on Reds, but I was watching something shot on Super 35 recently(star trek enterprise) and it worked extraordinarily well on that too. The only caveat is it works better with dynamic black off, as that function is already adjusting the video range, highlights, lower light output, and using them together results in more clipping/compression. But with full led power, phew, really cool.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Theres definitely something to be said for high bit rate processing even with sdr. And no one should turn their nose up at high quality sharpening either. People tend to speak highly of sonys and epsons onboard sharpening tools. Now imagine applying those to already pixel perfect dlp, the three dimensional depth imparted is breathtaking.

@tbase1 sorry if i asked this already, but have you tried setting filter > lti and/or cti to low? Additionally with sharpness set to normal and detail enhancement to 2. Its worked phenomenally well with content shot on Reds, but I was watching something shot on Super 35 recently(star trek enterprise) and it worked extraordinarily well on that too. The only caveat is it works better with dynamic black off, as that function is already adjusting the video range, highlights, lower light output, and using them together results in more clipping/compression. But with full led power, phew, really cool.

Yes I have, and it looks awesome.

Reactions: bdht

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Where is your color, brightness, contrast, and tint set at on your Sim2 Mico 50?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
Where is your color, brightness, contrast, and tint set at on your Sim2 Mico 50?
Color and tint at 50, Contrast at 50 if dynamic dimming is off, and 47 if its on. Brightness with gamma at 2.2 is 58 with dynamic dimming off and 55 with it on

·
Registered
538 Posts
I wonder what the gamut on the Hitachi LP-WU3500 is?

Probably depends on the laser manufacturer, how bright it is / what the power consumption is, and if it has dynamic dimming
If you find the gamut, please share. That one is really cheap new, not much over 1k. If it has a wide gamut, would be nice one to test.

Lähetetty minun LM-G710 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find a lens cover for the Runco Q750i? Currently I have a Cd over it which is the size the cover would be.

841 - 860 of 1791 Posts