AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1797 Posts

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
No worries , thanks for replying.

the color shifts are obvious when dynamic black is on to the point i prefer keeping it off, i contacted sim2 and they said that is how it works but i m not convinced because its easily detectable, and when i read ur post that u were getting color shifts with DB on i thought that might be whats causing it on mine . i will post a pic of inside the projector, if u need any different angle let me know .

thank you
@tnaik4 - hi, if the Sim2 has a similar color sensor like the Q750 I would expect to see it in these areas highlighted by the red arrows.

If you can run the projector with the case off, you would likely see the light shining through the sensor.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I was on the lookout for a SIM2 Mico 150 but that one's still (relatively) expensive in the used market - DC4 0.95 LED goodness though and way cheaper than when it first came out. I don't however know how it compares to the Mico 50/60s. Seem very similar, maybe updated boards/HDMIs?
From reading every single pro reviews and user reviews who owned both mico50 and m.150 everyone agrees that the latter is a clear step up, the mico 50 though is an excellent unit also.

Reactions: bdht

·
Registered
966 Posts
No worries , thanks for replying.

the color shifts are obvious when dynamic black is on to the point i prefer keeping it off, i contacted sim2 and they said that is how it works but i m not convinced because its easily detectable, and when i read ur post that u were getting color shifts with DB on i thought that might be whats causing it on mine . i will post a pic of inside the projector, if u need any different angle let me know .

thank you
@tnaik4 - hi, if the Sim2 has a similar color sensor like the Q750 I would expect to see it in these areas highlighted by the red arrows.

If you can run the projector with the case off, you would likely see the light shining through the sensor.

Hi Zombi, thanks for replying.

I will have to run it and see, i guess it is hidden under some plastic cover, i took couple more pics for different angles.

Might want to open pics in new tab to show up.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #905
It is a combo unit, projector and furnace. :) If it did not weigh a ton, would make a good outdoor projector.
If you ran a single lamp on eco it should be no different than any other ~330w uhp projector. 32db fan noise, probably around 1000-1500 btu/hr. 2bulbs and high power is definitely going to cook though, but thats also 7000 lumens. But you stick 2 bulbs in there and run one on eco and youll have extended bulb life, a nice feature. 100% vertical lens shift, 30% horizontal.

Its actually about the same size as my mico 40: 9.3" x 21.3" x 25.2" 55lb
RLM W8: 9.72" x 20.34" x 26.37" 57 lbs

nice projector for $900...

I was on the lookout for a SIM2 Mico 150 but that one's still (relatively) expensive in the used market - DC4 0.95 LED goodness though and way cheaper than when it first came out. I don't however know how it compares to the Mico 50/60s. Seem very similar, maybe updated boards/HDMIs?
Dont pass on a 40/50/60 if you find one, same dmd, same leds, same lens, same contrast, same brightness, main difference is in the processing and led dimming features. The mico 50s have 5x gamma corrected dimming with full led shutoff, im not entirely sure what the m150 does but its described to perform differently. The m150 has full hd 3d, and frame interpolation, and i believe the FI operates at 120hz and Im sure looks incredible, @tnaik4 are you still using it? The mico50 has more onboard sharpeners I believe, luma transient enhancement and texture sharpening(detail enhancement)

Has anyone explored loading/ repurposing to get nVidia Shield or similar device to work with MadVR? also does only work with Disks or streaming content like netflix etc as well?
Nah its a windows video renderer and only works with files Would have to rewrite the whole thing.

You will never ever get HDMI certification on a computer. That is why MadVR is building the Envy.
Wha? Are you taking about HDCP? PCs have HDCP. Because my hdmi extenders are hdcp 2.2 i had to get an edid spoof because any hdcp 2.2 content(netflix, vudu, tidal) wouldnt work with an hdcp 1.4 device at the end of the chain. Theres encrypted blu ray player software as well... I think its more to provide a standalone video processor for multiple inputs, bdps, cable/satellite, settops/smarttvs, consoles? Kind of like the Smyth Realiser vs using OOYH or Impulcifer, with a PC.

Does anyone know if there's a program similar to MadVR for MacOS?
not that i know of... just look for a free hardware accelerated 32bit math 16bit surface dithered to 10bit video renderer with cutting edge upscaling/downscaling/sharpening algorithms

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #906

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
not that i know of... just look for a free hardware accelerated 32bit math 16bit surface dithered to 10bit video renderer with cutting edge upscaling/downscaling/sharpening algorithms
My main problem is I can't find a way to add custom resolutions and refresh rates. This was possible before lord and master over your computer Tim Cook decided to add SIP that locks down your system as if you're a little baby. Even though Mac is based on Darwin which is a fully compliant POSIX variant of NetBSD.

There's a program called DisableMonitor which doesn't disable SIP, but can potentially brick your MacBook where not even a factory reinstall will bring it back.

SwitchResX does custom resolutions and refresh rates too, and won't hurt your MacBook, but it disables SIP leaving your system open to exploits by hackers who can then brick your MacBook! :rolleyes:

Apple was such a great company before Jobs died. After that they became pretty much a boutique brand that specializes in IOS, and said to hell with their loyal Mac base who originally made the company it is today.

·
Registered
966 Posts
@bdht yes i use the build in FI with all my movies, its buttery smooth, with madVR i find it to be the smoothest at 96hz, if i change the playback refresh rate i can make it run at 120, but if a movie is native 24hz it ll run at 96hz with FI and its stunningly smooth, pans and fast moving scenes are amazingly clear because of it.

·
Registered
966 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
My main problem is I can't find a way to add custom resolutions and refresh rates. This was possible before lord and master over your computer Tim Cook decided to add SIP that locks down your system as if you're a little baby. Even though Mac is based on Darwin which is a fully compliant POSIX variant of NetBSD. There's a program called DisableMonitor which doesn't disable SIP, but can potentially brick your MacBook where not even a factory reinstall will bring it back. SwitchResX does custom resolutions and refresh rates too, and won't hurt your MacBook, but it disables SIP leaving your system open to exploits by hackers who can then brick your MacBook! :rolleyes: Apple was such a great company before Jobs died. After that they became pretty much a boutique brand that specializes in IOS, and said to hell with their loyal Mac base who originally made the company it is today.
PItB

@bdht yes i use the build in FI with all my movies, its buttery smooth, with madVR i find it to be the smoothest at 96hz, if i change the playback refresh rate i can make it run at 120, but if a movie is native 24hz it ll run at 96hz with FI and its stunningly smooth, pans and fast moving scenes are amazingly clear because of it.
awesome

This looks very close to whats in my m150, if only i can locate that freaking color sensor hahaha.
oh heh, that's that hitachi, just thought it looked cool

here's the tear down of the mico
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Sim2Mico/Sim2Mico_Test.htm

"At the end of the light path, just before the DMD unit, we noticed something interesting: A small "spy board" is behind a semi-transparent mirror."
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Sim2Mico/Colorboard1.jpg

"And on the small board, which is called "Color Measuring Board", there is a small light sensor. Obviously, the engineers have given the projector a small monitoring system, unique, even though we cannot clarify how it works here."
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Sim2Mico/IMG_4386.jpg

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #912
on the Sim2 teardown, it doesn't look like it has the manual adjustments on the color sensor
Maybe since the sim2 has the live calibration stuff you adjust it in the service menu as opposed to manually like with the Delta OEM units.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
Maybe since the sim2 has the live calibration stuff you adjust it in the service menu as opposed to manually like with the Delta OEM units.
that could be the case. I remember reading reviews and reports from owners of the 750 seeing the color shift during LED dimming. The more adjustments in the RGB gains makes it worse vs. the manual adjustments to D65 using the color sensor where it's practically gone now even with the more aggressive settings.

tnaik4 mentioned it was pretty noticeable on the M150 to the point of turning it off. Are you seeing any kind of color shift on yours with the dimming?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #914
Are you seeing any kind of color shift on yours with the dimming?
Nope, I haven't gone into the service menu either, just made a small adjustment to the white point in the normal menu, it has an x point y point calibration instead of rgb gains/offsets. I'm pretty sure I measured rgb balance with the dimming when I wanted to see the gamma curve with it on and it was razor flat as well.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #915
@tnaik4 @zombie10k

Here are the displaycal pages, do I have these set right? The issue i was having was the meter(i1 display pro / i1d3) was measuring a much lower light output than if I used a light meter, say 6fl instead of 20fl. So when I set to use the 3dlut in madvr the image got very dim and dull.

I think I may have set source color space to dci p3 d65 but also tried bt2020 as well? I don't remember.

For meter placement I've tried at the screen facing the lens, at the screen facing the screen, and halfway between the screen and seating position facing the screen. Adjusted the meter on axis until I got the highest light reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #916
Also trying this, managed to get that nits number down due to the dimming suggestings welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
woops wrong one

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
With those settings(i think it was the manni l80 that did the trick) I dont seem to be having issues with bright scenes being too bright, dark scenes to muted, or it looking soft/flat. Its impossibly detailed, older movies are grainier and noisier than ever, closeups almost look oversharpened, and im not using any extra sharpening. Just needa get the 3dlut right so colors are perfect.

·
Registered
966 Posts
With those settings(i think it was the manni l80 that did the trick) I dont seem to be having issues with bright scenes being too bright, dark scenes to muted, or it looking soft/flat. Its impossibly detailed, older movies are grainier and noisier than ever, closeups almost look oversharpened, and im not using any extra sharpening. Just needa get the 3dlut right so colors are perfect.
There is something wrong with ur meter maybe if it measures that lower than a light meter and it ll ruin all ur calibration, do u have access or can borrow another i1d3 to compare ?
It shouldn't be that different .
Ur displaycal settings looks good.
I use the meter facing the centre of the screen around 4 feet back, i activate continuous reading on 100% white and keep adjusting it until i get the highest reading and would leave it there, but really u should check ur meter if its reading almost 4 times dimmer than ur light meter.

·
Registered
966 Posts
on the Sim2 teardown, it doesn't look like it has the manual adjustments on the color sensor
Would the projector still function if the color sensor is completely disabled ? Or it wouldnt disaplay any image.
The color shifts are noticeable with white background, also on my pc if u open a browser for example i can see it clearly shifting back and forth even with a static image.
I could do a firmware update if i can find an rs232 to usb cable that actually works or sim2 usb drivers but no luck so far.

901 - 920 of 1797 Posts