·
Registered
8,818 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,724
Hows this?

Should work... Converted to BT2020 and exported a video. MadVR does tone map it. But I suspect a higher bit rate source would have been better... What do you want it for?

Davinci is definitely mapping it to the edges of BT2020 you can see that in the bottom right scope.

View attachment 3042662
oh cool. hmm would that be different than if i just viewed it in the projectors native gamut though? just curious to see the differences in color on an actual bt2020 chart

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
oh cool. hmm would that be different than if i just viewed it in the projectors native gamut though? just curious to see the differences in color on an actual bt2020 chart
Yes because thats a BT709 file and this is a proper BT2020 gamut chart now, so you could either use native gamut and no lut and see what it looks like, or use a LUT and see if it gets much more saturated for eg.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I just switched my 1.0 ST screen in the HT with my old HP 2.8 from the LR as the 750i needed just a little more brightness. Makes a substantial difference with the brightness, contrast, and therefore POP. Doesn’t seem quite a clear though. I’m not sure why that would be. Maybe someone here knows.

While it was resetting focus I noticed the the text on the screen, the Channel Guide for DTV, had a grey shadow. A “T” for instance, had one column/row of white pixels and one column of grey pixels to the right and below the whites. Can anyone, especially 750 owners, tell me what causes that? Is there a way to fix it? Does it do the same thing in a video picture to some degree?

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
wow that looks amazing!! any more you cans share?
Yep.

I plan to do quite a few more.

This was all just a test. They are all somewhere around 1000 nit.

You may see banding in a lot of them, I need to start with very high quality stills, not 8 bit if possible.

More Importantly, I can use these now to see if madvr is doing the wrong thing in terms of saturation and highlights etc since I will have the original to compare it to.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
dont encourage me.

oh excellent! i would be very interested to know if screen door improved as well. I was going to suggest trying to find a barco f82 and possibly a version with the dci-p3 filters and the 1600p dmds if it exists

thats wild... but at least the possibility of correction exists.

Still gotta see if the dynamic iris can be fine tuned though right?
So the new bulbs are brighter.

We got about 3000 lumens uncalibrated and about 2300 after D65 white balancing white so still pretty low, but it’s watchable on his screen now.

I used my software convergence correction to fix the panel alignment. It’s not perfect as I only want to do full pixel adjust and refrain from pixel blending. But since the panels are not exactly a multiple of 1 pixel off, it will never be prefect convergence without those tools and careful manual adjustment.

It does about 95% rec709, it’s a little short on green in 1 direction so there’s 1 side of the triangle that has a slice toward blue that’s short (green and cyan).

With the yellow notch filter it’s about 95% P3 coverage with the shortage being in the same place (green and cyan).

But the filter drops the lumens down to well under 2000 lumens which is just too dim for his setup.

I would say that with the brighter image though, it only makes the screen door easier to see, specifically in the bright parts of the image.

Overall it looks pretty good, the color is certainly better than his LK970 and of course no RBE to worry about. The contrast is about double at around 2000:1 which is also a little noticeably better than the LK970.

He’s going to keep using it for movies and just use the laser BenQ for video games and TV shows.

For the price it’s certainly pretty nice as long as you have the DIY skills and knowledge and want to put in the effort it takes to get it all dialed in right.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,731
So the new bulbs are brighter.

We got about 3000 lumens uncalibrated and about 2300 after D65 white balancing white so still pretty low, but it’s watchable on his screen now.
hmm, thats still half of what they were reporting originally, whered the bulbs come from? didnt you say the first one bulb was getting 2k by itself?

Does he intend to try 3d at any point? preferably zooming in for more brightness id imagine. Thats what i was considering this model for, sitting a bit closer to a smaller screen at 70fl for 3d

I would say that with the brighter image though, it only makes the screen door easier to see, specifically in the bright parts of the image.
gotcha thank you for confirming. I have another theory about improving power delivery to the bulb that involves a separately derived system galvanically isolated from the signal chain to cut all external noise and improve the performance of the projectors switching supply and ballasts if youd like to test it ;]

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
hmm, thats still half of what they were reporting originally, whered the bulbs come from? didnt you say the first one bulb was getting 2k by itself?

Does he intend to try 3d at any point? preferably zooming in for more brightness id imagine. Thats what i was considering this model for, sitting a bit closer to a smaller screen at 70fl for 3d

gotcha thank you for confirming. I have another theory about improving power delivery to the bulb that involves a separately derived system galvanically isolated from the signal chain to cut all external noise and improve the performance of the projectors switching supply and ballasts if youd like to test it ;]
No it was like 1200 lumens with 2 of the cheap bulbs and also the heavily used bulbs it came with. So we got that up from 1200 to a little over 3000.

Perhaps the new bulbs still aren’t quite to the level of the official Christie supplied bulbs, but those are like $700 a piece and that’s just not worth it.

I think he would definitely be interested in power mods.

He was wondering what would happen if he put in the 350W Christie bulbs instead of the stock 200W bulbs.

They are the same housing and fit.

Send me whatever crazy ideas you have my way and I’ll let him know. He’s also very handy with physical mods and things.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,733
No it was like 1200 lumens with 2 of the cheap bulbs and also the heavily used bulbs it came with. So we got that up from 1200 to a little over 3000.
i meant this
My friend with the Christie got another bulb from a different supplier, and now it's much brighter. About 2000 lumens with a single bulb.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i meant this
Oh yeah that was my fault. That was a measurement he took the night he got 1 of the new bulbs in and I guess it was a measurement with 1 good + 1 bad bulb. He didn’t communicate that clearly the first time.

So it’s more like 600 lumen each bad bulb and 1500 lumen each good bulb.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,735
I think he would definitely be interested in power mods.
it's very simple actually, just an old low interwinding capacitance isolation transformer and an mm om3 fiber optic hdmi extender.

The isolation transformer creates a separately derived system, reduces common mode noise by 140db and traverse/normal mode noise by 70db, as well as reducing 6kv spikes to 6mv without the use of movs. You would need to measure the power draw of the projector and make sure you get a large enough unit. but you can often find them very cheap, and even the 30kva units can be found for ~$1,000.

The fiber optic extender breaks the electrical connection between the projector and the rest of the system. Electrically connected components form noise generating ac mains leakage current loops. The more components the more loops. Additionally, higher impedance connections between components increase the noise, i.e. long power cables and distance between compoenents and mov surge suppression or per outlet power filtering.
Amazon.com: AV Access Fiber Optic HDMI 2.0 Extender, 4K60Hz YUV4:4:4 18Gbps Over Fiber Optical Cable up to 300M, HDCP2.2, HDR10, 5.1/7.1CH, Dolby Atmos, Two-Way IR+RS232: Computers & Accessories

This one may not be as important but I'll mention it, but when there is a varied current draw, like with small digital componenets, mutli channel AVRs, computers, or dynamic lamp source dimming, a noise generating voltage is developed across the inductance of the power cable, this noise sails right through the power supplies voltage regulator. Use of a low inductance power cable reduces the noise. Standard straight 3 wire has the highest inductance, twisted pair has much reduced inductance, and quadrapole/star quad wiring has very low inductance, which reduces the noise to inconsequential levels. I make them myself or Ill wait for cheap used vh-audio flavor 4s to pop up. I use quadrapole wiring anywhere I can though due to the reduced radiation

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,736
Oh yeah that was my fault. That was a measurement he took the night he got 1 of the new bulbs in and I guess it was a measurement with 1 good + 1 bad bulb. He didn’t communicate that clearly the first time.

So it’s more like 600 lumen each bad bulb and 1500 lumen each good bulb.
oh ok hah, whered the new bulbs come from?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,738
quite a bit cheaper than from purelandsupply, maybe purelands are closer to the original/official bulbs. I would get 7-8k hours off the w1070 bulbs i bought from them, and thats just when they dimmed to the point that i wanted a new bulb.

oh btw, i think putting 350w bulbs in there is a no go, you'd have to replace the ballast and maybe even the projectors main power supply. Or confirm with Christie that the ballast/psu can support the bulbs.

had you read through this thread? HD6K-M is being installed

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
quite a bit cheaper than from purelandsupply, maybe purelands are closer to the original/official bulbs. I would get 7-8k hours off the w1070 bulbs i bought from them, and thats just when they dimmed to the point that i wanted a new bulb.

oh btw, i think putting 350w bulbs in there is a no go, you'd have to replace the ballast and maybe even the projectors main power supply. Or confirm with Christie that the ballast/psu can support the bulbs.

had you read through this thread? HD6K-M is being installed
Yeah I don’t think he wanted to spend $500 on a pair of bulbs if he didn’t know if it would even be that much brighter.

I’ll send him that thread. And yeah I told him I didn’t think he could just put 350w bulbs in like that.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,740 (Edited)
Quick clarification on the cine4home contrast numbers. If you set the Micos brightness higher than 54 it causes 0 ire to dither. At a 2.2 gamma, brightness needs to be set to ~57-58 to show 17-19 on a clipping pattern with the led dimming off. However, when you use the dynamic dimming, less information is clipped, and you can leave brightness at 54, which yields the ~3,000:1 native contrast and 15,000:1 dynamic. As to the 500:1 ansi I can only imagine that's more indictive of the room, because just about every 0.95" darkchip projector is 700-900:1 ansi contrast. Additionally, the industry seems to agree on a perceived brightness boost from the perfect uniformity and narrow band high color yield leds, combined with the perfect modulation performance of the dmd and ultra high ansi contrast, a modest 25% increase would put it closer to a perceived 700 lumens, 4,000:1 native and allows the 15,000:1 gamma-corrected dynamic to look very close to native performance.

My best comparative description would be the Mico looks like perfectly converged 3chip DLP with bt2020 color and SXRD native contrast. There is no perceivable difference in brightness in low adl content when switching the dynamic led dimming on and off(while the black level is very clearly improved) as the range is shifted upwards(gamma-corrected) which can result in brightness compression/clipping in some scenes, however, due to the higher native contrast and not so aggressive dimming(5x) it's functionality is very good. It doesn't have the smooth very high contrast full frame black to very low adl transistions of d-ila, but brightness matched it is comparably high contrast in 90-95% of content, if not higher due to the bt2020 color, leds, ansi contrast, uniformity, mirrors instead of liquid crystal, and modulation performance of the dmd.

Truly gorgeous one of a kind projector. We should hopefully be closer to a true replacement now that the rgb laser light source has come down in price. 4x the light output, no led etendue to deal with, higher saturation of green, more advanced internal processing, possibly even higher native contrast due to the use of a fixed iris, and the prospect of dual dmd zonal, dual tir prism, or light steering in the future.

Remember, DMDs are used in everything from pico projectors, to the reference video display, to terahertz imaging systems. The future of DLP projection is bright, pun intended.

1721 - 1740 of 1797 Posts