·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,741

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,742
The ultra high ansi contrast makes highlights appear brighter and more defined, as there is zero haloing or streaking, and allows brighter gradients to be more defined as well. It looks comparable to an emissive display, highly detailed, and I feel it is of great benefit to 10bit hdr video.

Sim2s literature states a full 10 bit video processor

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,743
The perfect full field uniformity of the led light source on the dmd appears to translate to the individual micromirrors as well, improving perceived pixel fill(90% on 0.95" darkchip), reducing screen door effect, improving perceived resolution, especially in combination with madvrs ultra high quality downscaling. 1080p looks excellent.

600 lumens, while low, is bright enough for 20fl on a 100" 1.0 gain screen, or a 125" 2.35 screen with an A lens, or a 150" high power. In combination with the ultra wide gamut and ultra high ansi contrast the projector has a very bright appearance.

And while the LEDs lifespan is rated at 30,000 hours, the LEDs are duty cycled for sequential color, and power levels are reduced with dynamic black, drastically increasing lifespan. I have measured no light loss in 2500 hours.

A replacement to this projector does not seem to be slated for 2020, perhaps 2021. And perhaps if UHD video existed in 2009-2013 the projector would not have been discontinued. A replacement with the modern laser light source could very well yield up to 3000 lumens(only consuming 400w), and sans led etendue, irises, and lens improvements, could see a much improved native contrast. It also leaves adequate light output for zonal even at a full 50% light loss.
It may also be true that uhd video + sequential color + xpr + zonal may be too much processing and the industry is waiting for manufacturing to produce native 2160p panels to introduce zonal. I also really cant imagine Chinese companies caring about a Canadian patent lawsuit. Koreans certainly didnt care about an American one(re: smartphones).

We may very well be on the cusp of affordable 1500 lumen native 2160p 100% bt2020 true HDR DLP. It certainly looks like the most plausible path to trve HDR home projection, and all the boxes are almost checked for manufacturing to facilitate such a projector.

Reactions: tnaik4

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I sold my MICO50 a few years ago due to a poor lens with excessive CA, easily visible from viewing distance. My lens sample was extremely bad. I wish I had one with a good lens to try again.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,745 (Edited)
I sold my MICO50 a few years ago due to a poor lens with excessive CA, easily visible from viewing distance. My lens sample was extremely bad. I wish I had one with a good lens to try again.
Thats a shame, the photo in post 1 is using all vertical lens shift on the wide end of the t1 lens, i think even using a bit of horizontal lens shift as well. LED etendue seems to worsen chromatic abberation so hopefully in a future laser version with a comparably high quality lens that wont be an issue.

it could also be due to the lack of misconvergence and the ultra high ansi contrast that its more noticeable as well.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The perfect full field uniformity of the led light source on the dmd appears to translate to the individual micromirrors as well, improving perceived pixel fill(90% on 0.95" darkchip), reducing screen door effect, improving perceived resolution, especially in combination with madvrs ultra high quality downscaling. 1080p looks excellent.

600 lumens, while low, is bright enough for 20fl on a 100" 1.0 gain screen, or a 125" 2.35 screen with an A lens, or a 150" high power. In combination with the ultra wide gamut and ultra high ansi contrast the projector has a very bright appearance.

And while the LEDs lifespan is rated at 30,000 hours, the LEDs are duty cycled for sequential color, and power levels are reduced with dynamic black, drastically increasing lifespan. I have measured no light loss in 2500 hours.

A replacement to this projector does not seem to be slated for 2020, perhaps 2021. And perhaps if UHD video existed in 2009-2013 the projector would not have been discontinued. A replacement with the modern laser light source could very well yield up to 3000 lumens(only consuming 400w), and sans led etendue, irises, and lens improvements, could see a much improved native contrast. It also leaves adequate light output for zonal even at a full 50% light loss.
It may also be true that uhd video + sequential color + xpr + zonal may be too much processing and the industry is waiting for manufacturing to produce native 2160p panels to introduce zonal. I also really cant imagine Chinese companies caring about a Canadian patent lawsuit. Koreans certainly didnt care about an American one(re: smartphones).

We may very well be on the cusp of affordable 1500 lumen native 2160p 100% bt2020 true HDR DLP. It certainly looks like the most plausible path to trve HDR home projection, and all the boxes are almost checked for manufacturing to facilitate such a projector.
Isnt the new samsung ust around 3000Lumens / 100% bt2020 / 2160p ( xpr not native ) , if it has good dynamic dimming it might be good for a treared room.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,747
Isnt the new samsung ust around 3000Lumens / 100% bt2020 / 2160p ( xpr not native ) , if it has good dynamic dimming it might be good for a treared room.
If its the same light source as the chiq c8ut, its close to 3k but calibrates to 1500 due to the yield of the green laser. I dont know the specifics if its a pure green diode or a blue+phosphor, but it should only be a matter of increasing the luminance of green to get back to 3000 lumens. It could be all that it needs is some extra power and maybe additional cooling + a larger chassis.

Native contrast on the c8ut was lower too, and i dont think ive seen any measurements of the lsp9ts contrast and dimming functionality. But the uhz65 has good native for that xpr chip, high ansi, and good dimming function, so its very possible that it could look very good, Aziz's and Mark's impressions certainly indicated as such.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,748 (Edited)
Finally, in response to reporting excellent dynamic contrast functionality yielding 12k:1 dynamic at 1% adl with almost the appearance of native contrast, an attempt to contradict me with an issue present in color wheel dlp was irrelevant, due to it is partially resolved by rgb solid state sequential color, almost completely resolved by dynamic modulation of the rgb light source(re: less black crush without dithering 0ire due to the shifted range), completely alleviated in 3chip dlp, a 14bit light engine, and a non-issue for dual dmd zonal in the future as well. I had also previously provided one article(luminance contouring redux) describing how many steps(1200 or 11bit drive) are required to eliminate contouring near black with pulse width modulation driven digital micromirror devices, and a study from Carnegie Mellon reporting improved bit depth in single chip dlp with dynamic rgb led modulation.

Reactions: Aztar35 and ailil

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
John, I just posted more about my hands-on with it in the New 4K 2021 Projector thread. So, there's some info there for you.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Het Guys,

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, so please forgive me in advance, but is there a way to remove the outer case of a Runco Q750i? Reason why I'm asking is........I have a friend that might be interested in my Q750i, but he would prefer the Black over the off white case. My plan is to have a auto paint shop do the paint job.

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
Het Guys,

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, so please forgive me in advance, but is there a way to remove the outer case of a Runco Q750i? Reason why I'm asking is........I have a friend that might be interested in my Q750i, but he would prefer the Black over the off white case. My plan is to have a auto paint shop do the paint job.
hi, it's very easy to remove the outer case. On the front of the projector, there is a single phillips head screw on the large metal piece surround the lens. Once the screw is removed, the metal piece slides right off. wiggle it around a bit, you will see how it's removed. (there are pins/slots holding it in place)

On the back of the case where the I/O ports are, there are 6 screws that need to be removed. 2 on the left, 2 top center, 2 right. They are the larger phillips head screws closest to the outer edge of the case. Once they are remove, the whole case just slides off (it's on a track like a computer case).

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
hi, it's very easy to remove the outer case. On the front of the projector, there is a single phillips head screw on the large metal piece surround the lens. Once the screw is removed, the metal piece slides right off. wiggle it around a bit, you will see how it's removed. (there are pins/slots holding it in place)

On the back of the case where the I/O ports are, there are 6 screws that need to be removed. 2 on the left, 2 top center, 2 right. They are the larger phillips head screws closest to the outer edge of the case. Once they are remove, the whole case just slides off (it's on a track like a computer case).
Thanks a bunch, and now back to our previous discussion.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Feel like I FINALLY got a decent result with a 3DLUT for this q750i. At least, there are no huge red bars and the picture looks significantly improved when the LUT is installed.

I didn't do a huge test chart on this one, but set it up to run another much larger one afterwards. Came back an hour later to find that the Windows 10 Restart screen had popped up right in front of the meter.

So... does this look "good" to you guys? What can I improve on, and how should I? Or just live with it? I must have tried this a hundred times before this attempt, and now I don't exactly recall what I did differently. Any further advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts

Hmmm. I tried this, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. There are many other phillips screws in the back... I assume it slides toward the front of the projector? Is this something that cannot be done while it is ceiling mounted?

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
Hmmm. I tried this, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. There are many other phillips screws in the back... I assume it slides toward the front of the projector? Is this something that cannot be done while it is ceiling mounted?
it's just the 6 larger outer screws 2 left, 2 top, 2 right. The case is really heavy and wouldn't recommend trying to remove it ceiling mounted. correct it slides towards the front of the projector.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I haven't tried to remove my cover until the shop is ready to paint it. I'm going to need to remove the hardware too. If my friend backs out I'm storing it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's a pretty nifty trick, and way easier than I expected! Thanks, zombie10k.

The red shift using Constant Contrast is still slightly there when set to high, but I fired up HCFR and measured after turning the projector back on and it looks great.

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
That's a pretty nifty trick, and way easier than I expected! Thanks, zombie10k.

The red shift using Constant Contrast is still slightly there when set to high, but I fired up HCFR and measured after turning the projector back on and it looks great.
Did you calibrate using the color sensor inside the projector?

1741 - 1760 of 1797 Posts