AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #241 (Edited)
After 100 posts on the same old contrast argument, how about something on topic, interesting, and looking towards the future.

Is it possible to use the 2chip design(in the Christie Eclipse) with sequential RGB laser/LED?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Only reason I posted in this thread was in response to early posts saying native contrast was just a marketing spec. And saying ANSI is the metric that should be used.

Added
Contrast is used as a marketing tool to sell projectors, just like ANSI and light output is used, but the metric itself is not just a marketing spec.
Somewhere in the middle is a good place to be.

Native on-off contrast is a metric but its deployment in marketing campaigns, salesmanship, and the like should qualify that it's ADL that's of greater value to the viewer. I know I would like to rely on more than just a measurement taken from a black-to-white screen or vice-versa. ANSI is a form of ADL. Even if say that 10-15% of content or scenes do fall within that 50% ADL, that one movie that calls for it in a deficient display can spoil the show, just like a very dark scene can in a very low sequential contrast projector.

Anyway, I think most, if not all, members in this thread have substantial experience with multiple projectors to know what their differences are and perhaps that's what was meant.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
If one invested in a MadVR setup could it be set up as a point and shoot, similar to my Sony flatscreen where the Tv matches my two different sets of settings, one for SDR and one for HDR, to the content I’m watching? My content is Directv and Netflix, Prime, and YouTube on a Roku.

If this is doable how much will it set me back?

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
If one invested in a MadVR setup could it be set up as a point and shoot, similar to my Sony flatscreen where the Tv matches my two different sets of settings, one for SDR and one for HDR, to the content I’m watching? My content is Directv and Netflix, Prime, and YouTube on a Roku.

If this is doable how much will it set me back?
Jack, hi those sources would required the MadVR envy hardware device which is in the 10K price range.

MadVR on the PC's primary skill is for UHD movies that are copied to local hard drive storage (plus best in class bluray -> UHD scaling). I use the Synology NAS device to store all my UHD movies since they are quite large at ~50+GB per disc.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Jack, hi those sources would required the MadVR envy hardware device which is in the 10K price range.

MadVR on the PC's primary skill is for UHD movies that are copied to local hard drive storage. I use the Synology NAS device to store all my UHD movies since they are quite large at ~50+GB per disc.

Thanks for the info Zombie. I think I’ll pass on Envy, although I envy those who have one. Once Redbox or Netflix starts renting UHD discs I might relook the PC version. For that are we talking

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
You do need quite a bit of processing power for good quality downscaling from 2160p to 1080p or aliasing can degrade image quality, the hdr to sdr conversion can take a bit of processing power as well, a minimum gtx1080 is what I would recommend, I have a 1070 and it's just not quite enough. You don't need an i9 processor though, and the rest of the components are fairly cheap nowadays, the motherboard, ram, nvme ssd, power supply, cooling, and case.

I think I'm at about 50tb of storage space over 8 hdds o_O

This is a TT Core W100+P100, can get 16 drives in the w100 and another 16 in the P100, and add another P100 up top? lol ways away from that being necessary

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Amen to that. And that's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about the .47 chip DLPs or even the XPR ones; I'm talking the Runcos ....or the Sim2s whose contrast is at or exceeds 30,000:1 and native is 10,000:1.

Ironically, I was just posting with someone in the Nero 3D thread who, like me, also had a JVC NX7 and wants to come back to DLP. I've had my fair share of LCD/Lcos projectors and keep coming back to DLP. Why? This time, I finally found a DLP with all the right stuff fantastic color and very good black levels and contrast to boot (I"ll post some pics). I actually did a very detailed A/B with my NX7 and wound up selling the NX7 in favor of the Runco. This Runco has the Proteus 4 lens and the difference in contrast and black levels with the NX7 the way I had the NX7's lens settings for HDR was not night and day but the other stuff, the picture on the LS-10 I just fell in love with; it looked sooo cinematic!

These high end DLPs must look incredible with HDR MadVR. Anyone try it? Ahh yes..there's a movement afoot and it's a return to once untouchable pricey high end DLPs. :)

I'd like some tips on how you're able to take such amazing photos. Are you using a higher end DSLR? There are so many times I've wanted to take some pics that accurately represent the sort of quality I'm seeing on-screen. My Ipad or phone camera never seems to be up to the job...

I think we agree that there are a number of fantastic high end DLPs. I guess the slight difference is that I don't see it as a DLP vs Lcos vs LCD debate. It's high end VS entry or mid level... I've had over 50 projectors for testing in my home environment and the original rrp is still one of the most useful lines on the spec sheet for predicting what to expect. That and the chip size and lamp power (instead of the manufacturers stated lumens).

There's a reason why experienced reviewers say "best projector in it's class" instead of "best projector at any price point". Having a $30k - $100k budget allows manufacturers to use far higher quality components and spend far more time ensuring color precision etc than at the mass-produced home theater end of the market. I've found this to be true with DLP, CRT, LCOS and LCD. .

The LS10 was well over twice the price of the NX7 so it's no surprise (to me) that some would prefer it. The LS10 (at $21k) was Runco's budget 3-chip option and yet still awesome. If buying used, it's worth looking for some of Runco's Xtreme 3-chip line like the VX-44d. They had an $80k rrp and are still highly desirable 10 years on.

All display tech has potential pros and cons but it's the implementation that matters. I've yet to see any projector that is representative of all DLPs or all Lcos etc. There is a huge performance range. If you like high end DLPs, you probably like high end LCOS. I had a Sony SRX-s105 a few years back. They were easily up there with the high end 3-chip DLPs I've seen.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I'd like some tips on how you're able to take such amazing photos. Are you using a higher end DSLR?
Thanks but nah; I just took it with my cellphone...just what the steady hands of a phenomenal guitarist can do (and not talking about the woman in the photo; I think that's a lute of sorts anyway).

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
JVC's and DLP's can co-exist :)

@zombie10k any update on using madvrs hdr>sdr with the Q750i?
Hi, i'm just getting back into it, I have displaycal setup on the laptop and ready for the 3D LUT. I took a break from the video side to implement BEQ which is an amazing project started from members here on the forum. It's like MadVR for subwoofers.. :) brings out the max capabilities especially with a number of the neutered

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I'd like some tips on how you're able to take such amazing photos.
Check out the 'Eye Candy' thread to see what a multitude of different cameras can produce with a steady (or not so steady) hand. :D

Reactions: Aztar35

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
You know if the Runco VX2000D is any good?

If so, do you need the Vivix2 processor? Would a Lumagen work? My assumption is it needs to be fed a native signal with custom porches, etc. Since the PJ itself has an hdmi port.
hi, my understanding is that the Vivix 2 processor was required for the projector to even power on. This model was a first gen 1080P release in ~2006. The RS1100 was released as the same time period and has all the processing internally. I see quite a few of these on ebay over the years for well under $1000.

I haven't read anything particular great about these models over the years, standard single chip DLP and average brightness compared to today's models. The VX22D would have been interesting to take a look at, these were 3 chip + over 2000 lumens. folks on ebay are still trying to sell these for 5-6K, good luck with that for a 2006 projector. I picked up the Runco Q750 for a few hundred dollars and it works great. I leave it on all the time for general TV use since the LED's have a ton of life left in them.

·
Registered
518 Posts
hi, my understanding is that the Vivix 2 processor was required for the projector to even power on. This model was a first gen 1080P release in ~2006. The RS1100 was released as the same time period and has all the processing internally. I see quite a few of these on ebay over the years for well under $1000.

I haven't read anything particular great about these models over the years, standard single chip DLP and average brightness compared to today's models. The VX22D would have been interesting to take a look at, these were 3 chip + over 2000 lumens. folks on ebay are still trying to sell these for 5-6K, good luck with that for a 2006 projector. I picked up the Runco Q750 for a few hundred dollars and it works great. I leave it on all the time for general TV use since the LED's have a ton of life left in them.
Ah. Well, darn. Thanks for the response anyway. I'm looking for a cheap DLP of high quality to retrogame (Retroarch) on. The only requirement is really sharp and very saturated colors. So that's why I thought a 0.95" single chip would do. DLP looks most closely to the CRT originally used during the era. But with the benefit of way more brightness, and no burn-in worries.

My plan was to use a computer to drive the projector directly.

I've found Projection Design 260 HB for about the same price. The 230 HC was the same MSRP when new but they're apparently hard to find, so I can only find one for several thousand. For that price I'd get a Runco q750 or even Sim2.

The person with the 230 HC on Ebay won't budge a penny, even though he "accepts offers" and it's been on there over a month. Listed twice. Shrug.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Vivix 2 processor

That is correct zombie. The Runco will cycle on for 3 seconds and then cycle off if it not connected to the appropriate processor.
I have a Runco vx22 with the custom and rare Minolta SXGA+ ( Intelligent Lens System) m-suite lens. Fantastic projector, yet weighs a ton (100 pounds) and the throw did not compliment my theater room. Sadly, its been reduced to the collection room!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
and very saturated colors.
You want the LED models for sure then.

The Barco/ Projectiondesign FL32/35s will be the sharpest(best lens) but may bit a little noisy.

Also keep an eye out for the Digital Projection Cine LEDs or Vivitek H9090

·
Registered
816 Posts
between a new Runco Q750i ( less than a 1000$ ) and used Sim2 mico150 with 15000 hours on it ( around 2500-3000$ ) which one should i get .

if the Mico150 had lower hours it wouldve been a no brainer , but from what i know laser projectors dim to half at 20000hours, i m not sure if LEDs are the same or if the rated 30000hours is to half life , at 15000hours how much light u think it wouldve lost, it might be same as the new Runco Q750i at that point and the runco would make more sense since its 3-4 times cheaper , both have same color gamut, great contrast etc , Mico150 usually is brighter with better lens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You want the LED models for sure then.

The Barco/ Projectiondesign FL32/35s will be the sharpest(best lens) but may bit a little noisy.

Also keep an eye out for the Digital Projection Cine LEDs or Vivitek H9090
I disagree on the led models from that generation. They just took an F32 and F35 and changed the lamps for an led light source. On the one hand, that's not entirely bad because the F32 and F35 are both good projectors (I have both). But... One of the things that makes them great is their incredible brightness and versatility. They can be both precision color 2000lm home theater projector and go all the way up to a 7500lm dual bulb living room beast.

Those first gen led light sources were dim to start with. The FL32 peaked at 600lm when new. Most of the first gen led projectors I've tested have started to look noticeably less bright and some just dull after 10,000 hours. I don't like the idea of a projector with a self destruct date but that applies x10 if buying used.

The FL 32 and 35 use the same lenses as their bulb using brothers which is good. They're large precision delights with all glass lens elements. Plus you have a choice of everything from ultra short throw (en68) to long range sniper.

They are great multi-purpose projectors. I got mine originally as living room displays for use on a black screen. They have low latency for gamers and enough brightness to counter ambient light. My F35 AS3D 1080 is now going to drive a 17ft wide home theater screen in my new house. The larger DMD chip + brightness means you can go a lot larger before the image degrades.

Depending on the budget though, there is a number of other models that should be considered too. We're starting to see some of the 3-chip Digital Projection Titan 1080 models becoming affordable on ebay and some of the larger Panasonic 3 chip beasts. Plus some of the smaller Christie 1080p 3-chips like the HD6k are appearing for less than $2k. They use expensive Xenon bulbs but that was the Rolls Royce of light sources prior to RGB laser.

Go big or get a flatscreen tv as the saying goes!

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
between a new Runco Q750i ( less than a 1000$ ) and used Sim2 mico150 with 15000 hours on it ( around 2500-3000$ ) which one should i get .

if the Mico150 had lower hours it wouldve been a no brainer , but from what i know laser projectors dim to half at 20000hours, i m not sure if LEDs are the same or if the rated 30000hours is to half life , at 15000hours how much light u think it wouldve lost, it might be same as the new Runco Q750i at that point and the runco would make more sense since its 3-4 times cheaper , both have same color gamut, great contrast etc , Mico150 usually is brighter with better lens.
If you can find a Q750, it's a no brainer if it's under $1000. I got mines for under $500 and it's great. I had the Digital Projection M-Vision 600 and the 1000 LEDs. Even though the 1000 was bright, the 600 and Q750 throws a better picture. Never seen or owned the Mico150 however, but the Q750 throws a terrific picture.
The LED light source is a great attribute even though I only use it occasionally to watch tv shows.

241 - 260 of 1122 Posts