AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 1114 Posts

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
DLP LED is the way to go...

Though I will probably sell my Vivitek H9090 for a BenQ HT9060 at some point when I'm able to get the latter on sale. The native and usable dynamic contrast difference between the two is minimal, and the BenQ is much sharper + adds 3D.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
@Greyimporter Great advise and info thx, the suggestion was made entirely on the color saturation though, which is superior to everything in the residential market. 600 lumens of phlatlight led is suprisingly bright. I have to use 10fl for lights out movie watching, 16fl is squinting territory. And using the native gamut looks even brighter.

Ive been finding alot of content, especially anime and older games where the native gamut looks amazing and doesnt look unnatural despite being incorrect.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Though I will probably sell my Vivitek H9090 for a BenQ HT9060 at some point when I'm able to get the latter on sale. The native and usable dynamic contrast difference between the two is minimal, and the BenQ is much sharper + adds 3D.
But how do you replace the LED? I heard that LEDs start to dim after 10,000 hours? That many hours isn't uncalled for considering how many years old these projectors are.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
But how do you replace the LED? I heard that LEDs start to dim after 10,000 hours? That many hours isn't uncalled for considering how many years old these projectors are.
That's the main concern and why these projectors go for so cheap.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You want the LED models for sure then.

The Barco/ Projectiondesign FL32/35s will be the sharpest(best lens) but may bit a little noisy.

Also keep an eye out for the Digital Projection Cine LEDs or Vivitek H9090
I've been trying to find those for several weeks now. But they always go for a lot more than I'm willing to spend. I'm hoping to pay ~$350. Some of the DP projectors are going for that, but they're the high brightness, and therefore have not so stellar contrast, even for DLP, and the color wheels aren't RGBRGB. :(

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
My H9090 has under 1600 hours, but tests on the new HLD LED tech indicates after 15,000hr there was between 0-5% light loss. So projectors like the BenQ HT9060 have no significant light loss over time - instead they will probably just fail in the 20,000-40,000hr range... And the projector itself will probably old worthless outdated tech by that point.

At least for the new gen of DLP Philips HLD LED the light source dimming over time is "fake news," but I'm not sure about these older phlatlight LEDs.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
I've been trying to find those for several weeks now. But they always go for a lot more than I'm willing to spend. I'm hoping to pay ~$350. Some of the DP projectors are going for that, but they're the high brightness, and therefore have not so stellar contrast, even for DLP, and the color wheels aren't RGBRGB. :(
The lowest I seen is around $1000, I just got lucky on my Q750 and my Digital Projection M-Vision Cine 1000 to get them for under $500. So, its possible

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
The lowest I seen is around $1000, I just got lucky on my Q750 and my Digital Projection M-Vision Cine 1000 to get them for under $500. So, its possible
It really depends on the hours

If it has low hours (i.e under 3000) I'd expect double that. As the hours go up the price should go down substantially since the light source isn't user replaceable and is rated at 20,000hr.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Do you know if BenQ ever updated the firmware on the HT9060? Last I hear one could not use MadVR with it. That is the DLP FP I would like if it could do MadVR (it would also have been nice if they used a better chip for 3D).

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Do you know if BenQ ever updated the firmware on the HT9060? Last I hear one could not use MadVR with it. That is the DLP FP I would like if it could do MadVR (it would also have been nice if they used a better chip for 3D).
No idea, BenQ is secretive with it's FW updates since they have to be done by BenQ and BenQ pays shipping both ways

They will generally only offer a FW if you call in and it solves a problem you are reporting

I have noticed recent reviews saying the 3D is fantastic (one review saying best they ever saw) so maybe they fixed that. Don't see any technical barrier for the DMD providing excellent 3D.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Just to add, the Runco q750i I was using was 11 years old and while i dont know the hours, it measured around 420 lumens at d65 bt709

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Also, with the Micos especially, water cooling the LEDs, keeping them at a lower temperature, and a stable temperature, along with the dynamic led dimming which doesn't run them at full power 100% of the time, should contribute to a longer lifespan for the leds as well.

The PD units on the other hand have no dimming and run at 100% power except for blanking which turns off the leds.

I decided to use a h9090 for the 4000 hours a year content and the mico for movies and quality video content to preserve its lifespan.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
hi, replacing the LED's is relatively straight forward in this design, they are located right behind the heatsinks and had them out already for an overall system cleaning.

i'm getting ready for teardown #2 to swap in a DC4 .95 DMD

I swapped in a DC4 DMD into my Planar 8150 ~7 years ago, that was a fun project, especially when it works after everything is put back together. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
hi, replacing the LED's is relatively straight forward in this design, they are located right behind the heatsinks and had them out already for an overall system cleaning.

i'm getting ready for teardown #2 to swap in a DC4 .95 DMD

I swapped in a DC4 DMD into my Planar 8150 ~7 years ago, that was a fun project, especially when it works after everything is put back together. :)

Is DC3 to DC4 really worth all that trouble? Also, how much is the chip alone, and how do you get it?

·
Registered
816 Posts
MadVR could be used with BenQ 9060, but u have to use rec709, what everyone was saying that u cant chose dci-p3 profile if u dont send it HDR signal , but from many reviews ive read the vivid mode gamut coverage is the biggest so u can do a 3DLUT/p3 calibration for vivid mode and use that in MadVR .

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Is DC3 to DC4 really worth all that trouble? Also, how much is the chip alone, and how do you get it?
hi, it did gain some contrast that I measured with a calibrated Minolta T10. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it though, but I like taking projectors apart. :) The DC4's came from an Infocus IN83 that had the DC4 DMD, they are not easy to source.

·
Registered
181 Posts
MadVR could be used with BenQ 9060, but u have to use rec709, what everyone was saying that u cant chose dci-p3 profile if u dont send it HDR signal , but from many reviews ive read the vivid mode gamut coverage is the biggest so u can do a 3DLUT/p3 calibration for vivid mode and use that in MadVR .
Just an observation: for great 3D on the Benq 9060 you must use anamorphic squeeze mode, with a A lens, so the whole chip is utilized.
Very happy with my 9060, but was disappointed w/ it's 3d. Slightly noisy, strange levels of depth, etc.
Utilizing the full array of the chip and A lens makes a night a day difference.
Smooth as silk, incredible dept.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just an observation: for great 3D on the Benq 9060 you must use anamorphic squeeze mode, with a A lens, so the whole chip is utilized.
Very happy with my 9060, but was disappointed w/ it's 3d. Slightly noisy, strange levels of depth, etc.
Utilizing the full array of the chip and A lens makes a night a day difference.
Smooth as silk, incredible dept.
did the lens adds brightness also to the image ?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hi, everyone. I'd like to change the placement of my LS-10. I have the P4 lens and would like a P3 or even P2 lens. Anyone know where I can get one?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Hi, everyone. I'd like to change the placement of my LS-10. I have the P4 lens and would like a P3 or even P2 lens. Anyone know where I can get one?
Maybe try Digital Projection International, I think I gave you an email and lens number a bit ago?

261 - 280 of 1114 Posts