AVS Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2021 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a brand new (old stock/open box) Sim2 Grand Cinema MICO 50.

I red a lot about it here and the projectors is still to arrive, but I would like to prepare my self to get the best of it.

Can some tell how can I access the service menu?

Also, I was unable to find any firmware update and the Sim2 calibration software, does some one have a link for it?

Recently Sim2 updated their webpage and the old products was all deleted, no more downloads for it.

Can wait to put it to work! Previously I had a Sim2 Domino D10, a Domino D35 and an Epson HC 5010e, this will be my first Full HD Sim2 projector.

Thanks!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Does anyone have any side by side shots of the same scene or frame with madvr on vs madvr off? Like what the projector looks like normally, calibrated but otherwise 1080p native input no special effects, vs madvr?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,986
Does anyone have any side by side shots of the same scene or frame with madvr on vs madvr off? Like what the projector looks like normally, calibrated but otherwise 1080p native input no special effects, vs madvr?
an sdr blu ray using madvr vs a budget blu ray player? there's a difference but it's not huge. madvr does its processing in 16bit, is more bit-perfect, and has a better chroma scaler. plus the option of high quality sharpening algorithms, and various artifact removal, ringing/compression/banding, which usually arent necessary to blu rays

sdr vs madvr+uhd, however, the difference is typically very noticeable. 2160p 10bit p3+ hdr vs 1080p 8bit bt709 sdr, big boost to detail/gradients/shading, depth/dimensionality, color.

·
Registered
770 Posts
an sdr blu ray using madvr vs a budget blu ray player? there's a difference but it's not huge. madvr does its processing in 16bit, is more bit-perfect, and has a better chroma scaler. plus the option of high quality sharpening algorithms, and various artifact removal, ringing/compression/banding, which usually arent necessary to blu rays

sdr vs madvr+uhd, however, the difference is typically very noticeable. 2160p 10bit p3+ hdr vs 1080p 8bit bt709 sdr, big boost to detail/gradients/shading, depth/dimensionality, color.
Maybe like UHD with just the splitter, going into the projector, compared to UHD through madvr. Or whatever you think is the best way to, so to speak, "see the difference madvr makes" in the same scene. Pictures that would be a good example how your projector will look with madvr vs without on the same content.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,988
Maybe like UHD with just the splitter, going into the projector, compared to UHD through madvr. Or whatever you think is the best way to, so to speak, "see the difference madvr makes" in the same scene. Pictures that would be a good example how your projector will look with madvr vs without on the same content.
if we're talking uhd content, madvr is better than other options(except the lumagen), in addition to the better base processing, the 3dlut calibration and dynamic tone mapping are wholy unique features that the splitter or a bdp wont provide. the splitter is dropping hdr metadata altogether, so youre just getting the 2160p 10bit video. the bdp will do static tone mapping but the old projectors cant correctly process p3 color so it will only use bt709. the 3dlut is required to show the wide color of the mico/q750i

for just 1080p sdr though, these old dlp projectors provide an excellent image comparable to modern projectors even when just using streaming.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Are there any competitors to the Mico in terms of DLP+LED combination? I saw Runco 73d 3D. If you watch it in 2D can you split it, or how does it work in 2D? Its huge but I could fit if i I found one affordable, but how does it compare to the Mico for 2D, and price these days? Are there other options?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could some one send me the latest firmware for the Sim2 Mico?

I contacted Sim2 Italy and asked me to look for it with the dealer in my country. I live too far away from them and they aren't answering my messages, maybe they sell it as service, I don't know.

Second to Sim2 people, the last firmware is the 509.

If some has the files necessary to perform this upgrade, please answer me!

THANKS!

·
Registered
60 Posts
if we're talking uhd content, madvr is better than other options(except the lumagen), in addition to the better base processing, the 3dlut calibration and dynamic tone mapping are wholy unique features that the splitter or a bdp wont provide. the splitter is dropping hdr metadata altogether, so youre just getting the 2160p 10bit video. the bdp will do static tone mapping but the old projectors cant correctly process p3 color so it will only use bt709. the 3dlut is required to show the wide color of the mico/q750i

for just 1080p sdr though, these old dlp projectors provide an excellent image comparable to modern projectors even when just using streaming.
MadVR is actually better than the Lumagen at video downscaling. So I'd actually recommend madVR over the Radiance Pro if you're looking to watch UHD HDR10 video content on these older, higher end DLP projectors. The tonemapping is continuing to improve as well and in many cases I now see an advantage in the image versus the Lumagen Radiance Pro, mostly with highlight recovery. The Radiance Pro still has a tendency to clip some of the highlights where madVR does not.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Could some one send me the latest firmware for the Sim2 Mico?

I contacted Sim2 Italy and asked me to look for it with the dealer in my country. I live too far away from them and they aren't answering my messages, maybe they sell it as service, I don't know.

Second to Sim2 people, the last firmware is the 509.

If some has the files necessary to perform this upgrade, please answer me!

THANKS!
Check your PM's. I am sending you the complete MICO50UPDATE.zip package that includes the latest 509 firmware, the update procedure, and all the necessary files to perform the update.
EDIT: Can't send this zip file via PM here. Please PM me your address to send the files.

·
Registered
770 Posts
For up to $1500 on a used projector now, and possibly another $1500 in a year, if I want 3D eventually, do you guys recommend I try to get a Runco d73D now, or a Runco X200i, (which of those is better?), or will I get better quality buying two non-3D projectors, like two Runco LS10's or Sim2 C3X's, and stacking them?

For <$1500 now on a projector or <$3000 total, what's the best 3D DLP setup to look for?

If I can get better quality than the d73D or X200i by buying two non-3D projectors, and adding a $500 3D processor or something, I would want to know that. If not, then what's the best option?

Edit: This might be the key question I need answered Is it possible to get linear polarization from two 2D....

I know you can get regular passive 3D (which I guess means circular polarization), but can you get linear polarization on any 2D projectors stacked by using an external 3D processor, or is this something you can only get on specific models even with an external processor?
Like if I wanted to stack two Micos or C3X's or Runco LS projectors, is it possible to buy a linear polarization filter, and 3D processor, and have them performing "linear polarization" 3D just like the Runco 3D projector that comes in the stack, or is it not possible at all?

If it is possible, how much do linear polarization filters cost, and 3D processors?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just came across this in a projectorreview article.

Xenon Lamp as used in a Digital Cinema Projector
The spectrum of the light produced by a Xenon arc lamp is different from that produced by a Ultra High Performance (sometimes referred as Ultra High Pressure or simply UHP) arc lamp, using mercury vapor instead of Xenon. The UHP lamps are most commonly used in consumer-level video projectors. The following figure shows a color spectrum plot for a typical Xenon lamp and also for a typical UHP lamp.
It is the case with all lamp based projectors, like the IN83, that using it puts off "mercury vapor" into the air, or am I reading that wrong?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I just came across this in a projectorreview article.

It is the case with all lamp based projectors, like the IN83, that using it puts off "mercury vapor" into the air, or am I reading that wrong?
That is the gas that is sealed in the arc tube not something that comes out as it is used.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sorry if I am boring anyone with my basic questions, but a day doesn't by I dont run into new factors I need to understand and consider before I can make a decision, and now that I already started inquiring with some sellers, I could really use urgent help because I dont want to keep other people in limbo.

I could really, really use urgent help for these very questions if anyone who knows has a moment.

1. If I wanted to buy a used 235:1 lenses for projectors like Sim2 C3X, Mico, Runco LS5 or LS10, what is the ballpark budget I'd need?

2. Will 235:1 lenses for Runco x-200i, Runco d73D, Runco LS10 or even Q750i work with Sim2 Mico and C3X?

3. Is the Harkness Spectral 240 still the best dedicated polarized 3D screen, or has something better come out since?

4. What is the budget required for a 16:9 motorized ceiling pull down screen with that level of crosstalk/ghosting or below, and what is the budget for a 235:1 one?

5. If I find a Runco LS10 at a good price but it's being sold with a lens that wont work in my space, is it possible to swap out with manufacturer or how much to get the right lens?

That is the gas that is sealed in the arc tube not something that comes out as it is used.
Ok tysm. Sorry it was probably a dumb question. And for the bulbs that are typically found in higher end DLP projectors, that use some sort of gas I forget what it's called, is that the same thing? If it doesn't come out of the projector then where does it emit? or it's something that is reused or cycled in the projector necessary to run, somewhat similar to the organic compounds in OLEDs that emit to make the pixels light up, and in plasmas as well?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,999 (Edited)
alright, spent some time with using the measurement off the screen for dpl and it looks much better. no issues using a 2.2 gamma, and i was able to turn the downscaling anti-bloating filter on. which combined with everything else is imparting a subtle depth and shading even to eyelids and the curvature of eyeballs. wild.

ignore the desat, and theres probably alot of fine tuning left but got the main layout working much better, the highlight recovery and sharpening i think the preference is specific to my situation, the effect on the dynamic contrast function, offsetting some gain artifact sparkle from thescreen material im using, maybe some sharpness loss from the navitar lens too. But after spending some time with the sharpening and getting everything else right i dont find the overshapened look distracting. im kind of surprised how well the oversharpening is working... the antibloating filter might have improved the oversharpened look as well

projectors really something... uhds fantastic, madvrs fantastic. modern home videos pretty impressive...
nrg1.png nrg2.png 20210118_023924.jpg 20210118_023910.jpg 20210118_023938.jpg

1981 - 2000 of 2021 Posts