AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2686 of 2686 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| DPI LED 600|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,358 Posts
Does anyone know if the Runco processors that used to come with a lot of their old high end DLP projectors work on Sim2 projectors or non-Runco projectors?

Can anyone tell me the correct sharpness setting, and noise reduction, and graphics mode or video mode, etc, for an M-150? Assume it's the same as the Mico 50.

Edit: I encountered your comment again when reading through the other posts I missed in the topic, and reading it over again, and in more full context, I think you meant you need double what you have now, not double 600. In which case, whew. But I will leave my original comment and questions here just in case.

10 foot wide scope screen? You think 1,200 LED lumens is necessary for a 120 inch wide, 130 inch diagonal scope screen? 1.0 gain screen? If that's the case then I am "buggered." And @tnaik4 too lol. Even a 1.3 gain screen wouldn't give us that much with M-150's either.

And you even use madvr too. So the dynamic tonemapping should be lowering the brightness needed. And the q750i has higher dynamic contrast, significantly, which should be increasing the perceived brightness even more compared to what 1,200 lumens would look like on the M-150.

How many calibrated lumens are you getting now with the q750i using navitar lens on a 130 inch scope screen? And is it 1.0 gain, and is it losing light to perforations also? Sorry if you mentioned this already. Basically how many FL are you getting right now? I am trying to determine if you are already close to 600 lumens, so you have something to go off when you say you would need 1,200 lumens from the q750i, or if you are at closer to 300-400 lumens currently so it would be hard to guess whether the projector would look good at 600, or 800, or 1,000, etc.
The last measurement I told was 575 lumens on my Q750. I was using a Severtson Stellar White 2.2 gain screen. So, I was around 38ftL. It was nice and HDR looked phenomenal with the fade to blacks. Since then, I upgraded to a bigger 1 gain screen and moved my 2.2 gain screen in the living room. Last fall I got in on the huge sell of the Hitachi LED projector to use in my living room. Going by the same lumens, I should be at 20ftL on the 16:9, which is 104in on my 130in scope screen. It does look brighter. I did a side by side of my JVC RS2000/N7 at 30ftL and both looked the same brightness. So, 600 lumens looked as bright as 900 lumens.

Using the navitar lens, I haven't took measurements. I will with the DPI LED 600 Lumen this week. The navitar lens is a better fit on my DPI 260HB, so hoping for great results

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The last measurement I told was 575 lumens on my Q750. I was using a Severtson Stellar White 2.2 gain screen. So, I was around 38ftL. It was nice and HDR looked phenomenal with the fade to blacks. Since then, I upgraded to a bigger 1 gain screen and moved my 2.2 gain screen in the living room. Last fall I got in on the huge sell of the Hitachi LED projector to use in my living room. Going by the same lumens, I should be at 20ftL on the 16:9, which is 104in on my 130in scope screen. It does look brighter. I did a side by side of my JVC RS2000/N7 at 30ftL and both looked the same brightness. So, 600 lumens looked as bright as 900 lumens.

Using the navitar lens, I haven't took measurements. I will with the DPI LED 600 Lumen this week. The navitar lens is a better fit on my DPI 260HB, so hoping for great results
So you had 38ftL of LED light? And you said 600 lumens of LED looks like 900 of bulb. So 50% perceived boost. So by having 38ftL of LED light, you were getting the equivalent of 57ftL bulb brightness... and this was the right amount? Not too much? It sounds like a lot. For HDR, people seem to usually recommend between 15 and 30ftl of bulb or bulb-equivalent brightness. If the 50% perceived bump for LED is real, then you were at near double the maximum people usually recommend.

It's interesting you mentioned fade to blacks were still great though. That just put another idea in my head, possibly a benefit of high gain screens. What people said in the past is that a 2 gain screen will make your image twice as bright, but also raise the black level by 2X. But what you just said made me think differently.

Say your projector can do 20ftl bright white, and 1ftl black. Then you add a 2 gain screen. 2 gain will double everything. So double 20ftl white, you get an extra 20ftl. Meanwhile double 1 ftl black, it's still only 2ftl. So the 2 gain screen is increasing the high range by 20ftl, but only raising the low range by 1ftl. You are getting a 20:1 benefit of increased brightness vs increased black level, not 1:1, if you look at it that way.

The question is, is there any merit to looking at it that way, or am I just misunderstanding something? Because if it's true, then maybe high gain screens provide a big benefit that no one talks about?

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| DPI LED 600|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,358 Posts
So you had 38ftL of LED light? And you said 600 lumens of LED looks like 900 of bulb. So 50% perceived boost. So by having 38ftL of LED light, you were getting the equivalent of 57ftL bulb brightness... and this was the right amount? Not too much? It sounds like a lot. For HDR, people seem to usually recommend between 15 and 30ftl of bulb or bulb-equivalent brightness. If the 50% perceived bump for LED is real, then you were at near double the maximum people usually recommend.

It's interesting you mentioned fade to blacks were still great though. That just put another idea in my head, possibly a benefit of high gain screens. What people said in the past is that a 2 gain screen will make your image twice as bright, but also raise the black level by 2X. But what you just said made me think differently.

Say your projector can do 20ftl bright white, and 1ftl black. Then you add a 2 gain screen. 2 gain will double everything. So double 20ftl white, you get an extra 20ftl. Meanwhile double 1 ftl black, it's still only 2ftl. So the 2 gain screen is increasing the high range by 20ftl, but only raising the low range by 1ftl. You are getting a 20:1 benefit of increased brightness vs increased black level, not 1:1, if you look at it that way.

The question is, is there any merit to looking at it that way, or am I just misunderstanding something? Because if it's true, then maybe high gain screens provide a big benefit that no one talks about?
15ftL in HDR is way too low for me. The recommendation is at least 30ftL or 100nits. But HDR can be enjoyed with under 30ftL. The more lumens in HDR the better. Not sure why anyone would want less lumens in HDR if it was possible to have more. I run my JVC RS2000/N7 on low and it gives me about 25ftL. This is due to the heat that it gives off in high lamp. I prefer more. When I did have my 2.2 gain screen, I lowered the iris to get 50k:1 at 40ftL or 130nits. I do get a more cinematic experience now due to a larger screen.

Also, I watched majority of my material with lights on when my ftLs were high, then I would turned down the iris on my JVC when I watched movies for better contrast.

High gain screens have been discussed for years and people love them, as do myself. Jason aka Zombie2k has a 142in 2.8 gain screen and he has been using it for years. I had 2 high gain screens prior to my Stellar White. I had the Da Lite HP 2.4 for about 5 years, a Microlite 3.3 gain, and now the Stellar White 2.2. I do like them but wanted to change things up a little. My Hitachi LED is a 3500 lumen projector and I'm running it around 2,000 lumens on a 100in 2.2 gain screen or around 130ftL. It's a huge TV like experience and I watch all of my sports on it with lights on.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
15ftL in HDR is way too low for me. The recommendation is at least 30ftL or 100nits. But HDR can be enjoyed with under 30ftL. The more lumens in HDR the better. Not sure why anyone would want less lumens in HDR if it was possible to have more. I run my JVC RS2000/N7 on low and it gives me about 25ftL. This is due to the heat that it gives off in high lamp. I prefer more. When I did have my 2.2 gain screen, I lowered the iris to get 50k:1 at 40ftL or 130nits. I do get a more cinematic experience now due to a larger screen.

Also, I watched majority of my material with lights on when my ftLs were high, then I would turned down the iris on my JVC when I watched movies for better contrast.

High gain screens have been discussed for years and people love them, as do myself. Jason aka Zombie2k has a 142in 2.8 gain screen and he has been using it for years. I had 2 high gain screens prior to my Stellar White. I had the Da Lite HP 2.4 for about 5 years, a Microlite 3.3 gain, and now the Stellar White 2.2. I do like them but wanted to change things up a little. My Hitachi LED is a 3500 lumen projector and I'm running it around 2,000 lumens on a 100in 2.2 gain screen or around 130ftL. It's a huge TV like experience and I watch all of my sports on it with lights on.
What's the Microlite 3.3? Who makes that? How does it compare to the Stellar white and Da Lite?

I know people like the Da-Lite HP 2.8, but they don't make it anymore, and it seems like it's the only high gain screen people like.

15ftL in HDR is way too low for me. The recommendation is at least 30ftL or 100nits.
The recommendation is 30ftl for dynamic hdr like DV, or for HDR 10? Either way, if you were getting 38ftl from the Runco on a 2 gain screen, that's 19ftl on a 1 gain screen. Plus 50% perceived bump, that's almost 30ftl on a 1 gain screen, or almost 200 nits on a 2 gain screen. Is that not too bright?

I am trying to use your experience to base the right decision off of for my setup, but in order to do that, I need to understand every variable at play. You only now just brought up that you watch with the lights on. Is that only with the JVC, or with the q750i too? Do you have a blacked out room when the lights are off, or still have light walls etc?

How does the Severtson 2.2 gain screen compare to like a Stewart studiotek 1.0 screen? Obviously it's twice as bright but is the grain and sheen the same, or how does it compare overall?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
What's the Microlite 3.3? Who makes that? How does it compare to the Stellar white and Da Lite?

I know people like the Da-Lite HP 2.8, but they don't make it anymore, and it seems like it's the only high gain screen people like.

The recommendation is 30ftl for dynamic hdr like DV, or for HDR 10? Either way, if you were getting 38ftl from the Runco on a 2 gain screen, that's 19ftl on a 1 gain screen. Plus 50% perceived bump, that's almost 30ftl on a 1 gain screen, or almost 200 nits on a 2 gain screen. Is that not too bright?

I am trying to use your experience to base the right decision off of for my setup, but in order to do that, I need to understand every variable at play. You only now just brought up that you watch with the lights on. Is that only with the JVC, or with the q750i too? Do you have a blacked out room when the lights are off, or still have light walls etc?

How does the Severtson 2.2 gain screen compare to like a Stewart studiotek 1.0 screen? Obviously it's twice as bright but is the grain and sheen the same, or how does it compare overall?
Microlite is a company that makes screens, not sure if they do anymore. They had a great idea but charged too much. I have not been in touch with the owner for years but I found that Severtson makes similar screens and went with them. It has sheen and one of the reasons I went with a 1.0 gain screen. But it's a really good screen. I'll probably get a larger Stellar White 2.2 in the future. My theater room is blacked out with velvet all around. Velvet are even on my speakers.

I didn't have the Q750 in my theater room with the 2.2 gain screen long, maybe a week. I then moved it to the living room with the 2.2 gain screen. I purchased my new screen and bought the Q750 at the same time. I watched mainly HDR material in my theater room with the Q750 in that short time and it looked amazing. When I did watch my JVC RS2000 with the 2.2 gain screen, I lowered the iris for movies, then turned on my bright settings with lights on because I would be around 80ftL.

2681 - 2686 of 2686 Posts