AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1845 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
O.O wow really, the m40 is perfect with rgb
The m150 is too, i use rgb 12bit full, i just dont have the color setting when using rgb which i dont need anyway, i never touch color or tint because I use 3dluts.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Does anyone know how to get to the hour counter of a Q750i

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,183 Posts
Do you happen to have a picture of the gamut coverage to see what the colors achieve and where it falls short? Also hows the lumens/volume of colors in the widest mode? Might be worth picking up after few years when the prices have gone down :)

The review says Volume, but is it coverage? Nice measurements of the different modes, but sadly no gamut pictures. --> Also in the start of the review in Pros section it says "Up to 98% DCI-P3 coverage in Vivid and HDR modes"

BenQ HT9060 Color Accuracy & Gamut Volumes
MODECOLOR ACCURACY
(AVG. DELTA E)
REC.709
(PERCENT)
DCI-P3
(PERCENT)
BT.2020
(PERCENT)
Bright10.51016946
Vivid5.416911373
Cinema5.0966444
HDR3.214910068
Silence8.31389363
I must have been remembering the gamut volume number rather than the coverage number.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
just checked the h9090 and color/hue are disabled, so its specific to the gennum processor.

the isf code was 726, someone mentioned 864 for setup on an rs1100, but that didnt work for me on the q750i.
I was wondering how loud is the operational DB of the Mico 40. Have you tested that?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,686
I was wondering how loud is the operational DB of the Mico 40. Have you tested that?
its quieter than not using it. The led power driver has coil whine when running at full power(30amps). When using dynamic black its running at lower power and there's no audible coil whine.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,687
oh, i misunderstood? just the operational decibel level you mean? it's practically silent except for that coil whine xD there's really no audible fan noise unless you put your head up near the projector's intake/outtakes

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
@bdht

My friend with the Christie got another bulb from a different supplier, and now it's much brighter. About 2000 lumens with a single bulb. He ordered a second now and hopefully it will be here tomorrow, so hopefully it can do around 4000 lumens with both, and then I will go there and do a full reset and re-calibration.

He asked Christie about the special tool kit to adjust the panel convergence, but they want $1300 for it! Just for some small wrenches...

It might be possible to do without their special tools, and he will look into that yet, but I don't know the ultimate feasibility of that yet.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,690
Lol, is it just me or does the title of this thread change daily?
dont encourage me.

My friend with the Christie got another bulb from a different supplier, and now it's much brighter. About 2000 lumens with a single bulb. He ordered a second now and hopefully it will be here tomorrow, so hopefully it can do around 4000 lumens with both, and then I will go there and do a full reset and re-calibration.
oh excellent! i would be very interested to know if screen door improved as well. I was going to suggest trying to find a barco f82 and possibly a version with the dci-p3 filters and the 1600p dmds if it exists

He asked Christie about the special tool kit to adjust the panel convergence, but they want $1300 for it! Just for some small wrenches...

It might be possible to do without their special tools, and he will look into that yet, but I don't know the ultimate feasibility of that yet.
thats wild... but at least the possibility of correction exists.

Still gotta see if the dynamic iris can be fine tuned though right?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,693
LOL on the title change, javs is famous now :D

as long as you keep older high end DLP in there somewhere it's all good.
Good joke.

i did agree with javs that broadening the scope of it is warranted, but i do feel that older high end dlp, and specifically the leds gamut, is the main focus.

Watched Knives Out yesterday and it was so sharp and detailed and vibrant and... rich! Very much got this dialed in now, I don't find myself adjusting settings at all. Unchecking the downscaling filters definitely played a big part that was quite surprising, but I did find someone that felt the same a few years ago Doom9's Forum - View Single Post - madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted)

I was able to get an order in for the 3080FE, curious to see how it handles Billy Lynn and Gemini Man 4K/60 with all the good stuff turned on.
yes very interested to hear how that looks, especially on the mico. I'm probably going to be upgrading this round, my 1070 is at its limit.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Still gotta see if the dynamic iris can be fine tuned though right?
We did play with the iris a fair amount last time I was there, but it makes a pretty drastic gamma shifting artifact to the image as it moves, so I don't think for him it is really usable, but that's fine.

I will be curious to see the final lumen output after white balance and what the yellow filter does to the color gamut. With the 2 crap bulbs, it was good on red and blue, but short on green for rec709, but it may have been the crappy bulbs.

With the yellow filter on, green was pretty far past rec709 point then.

I am curious what the % P3 coverage is with the filter on, but I am not sure if there will be posterization artifacts present if I try to make a 3DLUT for the projector or not like I see on some projectors, particularly when the 3DLUT is targeting a gamut that the projector can't quite reach 100% of.

Considering how bad the rec709 coverage is on the LK970, even 100% rec709 will be a big improvement on the Christie.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,695
I am curious what the % P3 coverage is with the filter on, but I am not sure if there will be posterization artifacts present if I try to make a 3DLUT for the projector or not like I see on some projectors, particularly when the 3DLUT is targeting a gamut that the projector can't quite reach 100% of.
Ah, well, with bt2020 content I don't see posterization on the mico with the 3dlut even though green is short of bt2020. The actual video grayscale/mtf/bit depth of 3chip/rgb solid state is superior to color wheels, more time to display each shade. This seems to be an issue with wobulation + sequential color, too much information for an impulse response in a single frame. Especially 4x wobulation, as you have to display 4 pixels per color, and the 3+ separate colors, so 12+ different shades per frame.

It would be interesting to see if you could overdrive liquid crystal with really perfect power delivery and accurate compensation, and achieve 10bit wobulation + sequential color due to sample and hold instead of the impulse response. The color frequency needs to be at least 800-900hz, but I've seen some liquid crystal panels can do ~0.15ms.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Well I get the same posterization issues if I for example try to make a P3 3DLUT for my JVC NX5 even though it's like 94% coverage.

I also saw it pretty bad when I made a rec709 3DLUT on a friends NX7 when I was making it over a stock calibration which was only 89% rec709 coverage (before autocal).

I am not saying it's because of not reaching the full gamut, but I just don't know what causes it to be honest.

I can make a P3 3DLUT for my LCD PC monitor which is only 78% coverage (it's not even meant for P3 or HDR) and there are no posterization artifacts.

So I really don't know what causes it, but I have seen it often on various projector 3DLUTs.

I wont say that every projector has it, but so far most that I have tried seem to. The only time I haven't seen it on a projector was when the projector could reach or exceed the target gamut. So I feel gamut coverage is somehow tied in there, though it's definitely not the entire story by any means.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Ha that name change is a classic.

I know this thread started as led, but if I ever pick up another older DLP i would probably come here to talk about it since the projector shootout thread is the only other place but this seems a bit more focused into the idea of repurposed older tech for new uses.

Still thinking about picking up a Christie 3 chip hd6k one day.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,698
I can make a P3 3DLUT for my LCD PC monitor which is only 78% coverage (it's not even meant for P3 or HDR) and there are no posterization artifacts.
hmm interesting, i wonder if it could be the 3 separate panels vs the single panel.

Ha that name change is a classic.
Ya'll are a tough crowd but I finally got one.

Still thinking about picking up a Christie 3 chip hd6k one day.
I think keep an eye out for Barco F82's as well, i double checked there's no wqxga only wuxga, but there seems to be optional p3 filters " APOC optical color processing and user selectable optical color space (sRGB, REC709 or optionally DCI) ". Also those 3 chip panasonic lasers look like they could throw a great image but finding one south of 5k may be tough.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
hmm interesting, i wonder if it could be the 3 separate panels vs the single panel.
If had to guess, you don't see it on your mico, because even though it doesn't reach full BT2020, you probably aren't viewing content that calls for colors beyond what your micro can do.

I think (and this is just my working theory), that if your movie did call for colors outside your mico's gamut, there may be posterizsation visible with the 3DLUT enabled. But since the native gamut is so wide, this may never really happen in practice or be noticeable.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,700
If had to guess, you don't see it on your mico, because even though it doesn't reach full BT2020, you probably aren't viewing content that calls for colors beyond what your micro can do.

I think (and this is just my working theory), that if your movie did call for colors outside your mico's gamut, there may be posterizsation visible with the 3DLUT enabled. But since the native gamut is so wide, this may never really happen in practice or be noticeable.
Ya that sounds likely, i dont remember seeing those gamut maps from uhd blu rays with large swathes of pure bt2020 green.

1681 - 1700 of 1845 Posts