AVS Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 1845 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
haha, you didn't ruin it, quite the opposite. You fixed a problem and tuning that sensor to D65 resolved a 10 year old issue. Look up any discussion on the 750 -- color shift with the LED dimming is usually mentioned. no solutions until I stumbled upon it earlier this year.

The calibrator can read the details provided in the thread, there is always opportunity to learn something new regardless of previous experience.
After doing it the second time, I feel confident that you are right. The color shift is even more diminished... I can only see it now very faintly on black and white content, which really doesn't even need it. It is now brighter than it used to be, additionally. It's really excellent, thank you again.

·
Registered
13,386 Posts
After doing it the second time, I feel confident that you are right. The color shift is even more diminished... I can only see it now very faintly on black and white content, which really doesn't even need it. It is now brighter than it used to be, additionally. It's really excellent, thank you again.
I'm glad it helped! it's definitely a cool find and was surprised at the positive results.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
hi, I think it's going to vary from projector to projector depending on how they set it at the factory. This 750 had a very noticeable red shift even when not using the LED dimming. I could bring down the blue / green gains in the menu but it cost too much light output when it's already limited to begin with and also still had the shift with the dimming. I think it's a software bug and when corrected at the hardware level and the gains zero'd out it's now well behaved during the dimming.

maybe the same for the Sim2's and some just had a better factory setting? I don't see color shifts on this M50 during the dimming, it's almost perfect D65 out of the box with very small adjustments to the gains. Or perhaps they changed the software when they built the M150.

Do you have any specific scenes where you see it on the M150? I'd like to take a closer look.
On my m150 i dont have any color push at all , its spot on d65 , the color shift only happens with DB on, so i guess its a different situation and even accessing the sensor isnt going to fix it.
If u have black panther, the scene in the museum where they steal the artifacts in the beginning , it has subtle color shifts. A lot of people though wont notice it, but i m picky with this stuff and I see it right away.
Whats interesting is if i raise the contrast setting to the point of clipping, it disappears....
So its probably a software thing, and that is how its implemented, its very subtle though and its only like 2x improvement, so i live without it since the picture is stunning without it, it doesn't do fade to black either so its completely different than the mico50.
It only happens with bright content, m not sure why db is active anyway on bright scenes, maybe they are low adl scenes.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
What were his thoughts that were not positive? Did he explain why he would not do it?
Because my mind sometimes has trouble with capturing a quick verbal technical comment I'm not sure I can accurately answer. But I think he was basically telling me not to mess with the internals of the projector. He maybe be nervous about getting involved in anything he is not familiar with. An ISF calibrator is on the clock, so to speak, so adventuring into new territory is pretty concerning. Perhaps if I could prepare the situation for him he might be willing. Zombie, could you answer these questions:

1. What is the base problem that motivates doing this?
2. Can it be done from the side since the 750 is on a rack but accessible from the right side as you face the projector. I would have to remove it from the stand, remove the cover, and put it back on the stand for calibration, and then reverse the process after he leaves.
3. Is the process just using the dials to set each color to the D65 and then go through a normal calibration?
4. How much time should it take for him to dial in D65 if the access to the dials is adequate?

I think he is a good guy and if your explanation is clear enough to him he would be willing to try it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Because my mind sometimes has trouble with capturing a quick verbal technical comment I'm not sure I can accurately answer. But I think he was basically telling me not to mess with the internals of the projector. He maybe be nervous about getting involved in anything he is not familiar with. An ISF calibrator is on the clock, so to speak, so adventuring into new territory is pretty concerning. Perhaps if I could prepare the situation for him he might be willing. Zombie, could you answer these questions:

1. What is the base problem that motivates doing this?
2. Can it be done from the side since the 750 is on a rack but accessible from the right side as you face the projector. I would have to remove it from the stand, remove the cover, and put it back on the stand for calibration, and then reverse the process after he leaves.
3. Is the process just using the dials to set each color to the D65 and then go through a normal calibration?
4. How much time should it take for him to dial in D65 if the access to the dials is adequate?

I think he is a good guy and if your explanation is clear enough to him he would be willing to try it.
The sensor is on the left side of the lens as you face it, so you'd have to move it out of your rack. It's probably something you can/should do before he gets there, if possible. That way the sensors are set exactly where they need to be and he can go from there. It took me about 20 minutes the first time, and maybe 15 the second time. Once you know which screw is which, and which direction to turn it to adjust, it's pretty straightforward. You just make very small turns, each screw at a time, and watch the results from the meter. I just hooked up my laptop and had HCFR going as I turned the screws... turn screw, stop and watch HCFR adjust. Turn screw, stop and watch it adjust. Repeat until satisfied.

Honestly if you can get anywhere near the brightness boost that I got, it'd be worth it for that alone.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
What ceiling mount do you guys use for your Q750i?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I made my own, but it was kinda tricky. It's a Peerless mount that is attached to a piece of lumbercore plywood, which is bolted to the projector.
I've done that before with CRT projectors. I'll have to check which mount to get.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
My 750 came with some mounting tracks on it. I don't know if they are factory or not but anyone can have them for the freight costs. They are not very big as I recall. I'm not even sure where I put them.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I'm interested. Please PM me

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
My 750 came with some mounting tracks on it. I don't know if they are factory or not but anyone can have them for the freight costs. They are not very big as I recall. I'm not even sure where I put them.
I'll see if I can find them and post a picture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a DCL-200 FD used on the internet.
Seller says it‘s in an excellent condition.
Unfortunately it won’t turn on.
Only the blue Power LED turns on when I connect the Power cord.
My first thought was that the remote is defect. But shouldn’t the projector turns on when I put a signal to it via HDMI?

0AAD9C47-65AA-4513-A5D9-94F38993AA1A.jpeg

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,793
is there a power switch on the unit? just making sure, are there batteries in the remote? Are you using the scaler?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,794
Little update, was able to bump up dynamic in madvr to 75 by using sky strength. Also tried maxing highlight recovery. vn

·
Registered
24 Posts
hows the projector?
Really great.
But I could only put the projector on a table and threw a picture on the wall.
First thing I mentioned was the smooth motion. No comparison to my LED-TV.
I‘m currently installing the cables and mounting projector and screen.

And I‘m reading about color calibration. How did you calibrate your projector?
With madVR I need a computer as playback device, right?
Because I‘m using a BluRay-Player.
Should I use HCFR?
And which colormeter?
I thought about buying an i1Display Pro and calibrating it with a rent i1 Pro 2.

1781 - 1800 of 1845 Posts