AVS Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1994 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,801
And I‘m reading about color calibration. How did you calibrate your projector?
With madVR I need a computer as playback device, right?
Because I‘m using a BluRay-Player.
Should I use HCFR?
And which colormeter?
I thought about buying an i1Display Pro and calibrating it with a rent i1 Pro 2.
i used an i1 display pro, did white balance in hcfr(i think my screen has a blue push, im gonna remeasure with an st100 sample soon, so you may not need to adjust the white balance), displaycal for the 3dlut, and then madvr for everything. for uhd content youd need madvr for the 3dlut and hdr tonemapping(+downscaling) or find a standalone lutbox like a used lumagen maybe? and then use a blu ray player with tone mapping. or something with an hdfury? im not sure Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on...

the calibration section here or the displaycal forum might serve you better for meter and method questions than this thread though.

be sure to just set the projector to its native gamut and watch something colorful to see just how saturated the thing can get its pretty wild.

Reactions: FLX90

·
Registered
816 Posts
So I have a little issue I want to ask the group.

I have a Christie WU7K-M and a WU12K-M I bought recently. They both work great. Colors are really good, but the Intergrator assembly on both need to be replaced, They both are at about 35% of there true lumens(with new bulbs)

I guess on the M series, this degrades over time and need to be replaced to get it back to full output.

So right now the 7K-M with an A lens gets about 25fc on my 180" 2.37:1 XD center screen

The 12K-M gets about 33fc. This is obviously with new bulbs and will go down over time.

The 7 uses about 550w, the 12 about 900w of power.

To fix the 12 its like $2400 and to fix the 7 is $2700. I have about $2300 into each at the moment.

I will probably only fix one and then sell the other or sell one and just deal with the dimmer picture(but still pretty darn bright image)

The both throw a fantastic image for being 11 years old each

I use an BenQ LK970 for Tv/Games(also movie before Chirstie's entered the room)

Worth it to fix one of them, It would basically be refurbished and near maximum light output (55fc on the 7 or 95fc on the 12 on my screen with an A len)

What would you do?

Reactions: bdht

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,803
Worth it to fix one of them, It would basically be refurbished and near maximum light output (55fc on the 7 or 95fc on the 12 on my screen with an A len)
do you watch 3d?

are you watching uhd content?

have you looked into additional color filters and irises?

thank you for reporting that its the integrator assemblies, thats very good to know about these.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,804
oh and did you get further on the convergence?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,805
so its 1700 lumens and 2200 lumens? only 500 lumens for 450w 😐

its 2k for christie to fix? or 2k for the part?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
oh and did you get further on the convergence?
That's the thing I like with single chip DLP projectors, you don't have to worry about convergence. By the way, these were taken with my hand-held phone. The projector is the Optoma UHZ65 with latest FW v. C17 and shows such nice depth almost like you could reach out and touch the content. Lol.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Here are a few dark scene pics from when I had the UHZ65 which had the older FW. Notice HDR still presents with authority.

·
Registered
816 Posts
do you watch 3d?

are you watching uhd content?

have you looked into additional color filters and irises?

thank you for reporting that its the integrator assemblies, thats very good to know about these.
I do watch a lot of UHD content. Both models make 1080p look almost 4k. The colors are way lot better then my LK970. Plus I love a bright image

I do not watch any 3D content. Yes I wish I had know about the intergrator assemblies.

Nick made a convergence program. The actual tool kit from Christie to adjust it was $1200(it was just a few unique small allen wrench)

If I get the 7 refurbished with the new assembly, the tech will set the convergence for free

so its 1700 lumens and 2200 lumens? only 500 lumens for 450w 😐

its 2k for christie to fix? or 2k for the part?
It would be about $2200 for each to get fixed, the assembly unit is about $1400.

I thinking for a WU12K-M back to almost brand new, total invested is about $4500 fix (I have the 1.4/1.8 zoom lens for each also)

Just about the same for the WU7K-M. That should bring the 12 back to near 10500 lumens and the 7 back to about 6000 lumens

·
Registered
816 Posts
Very nice. I need a ton more lumens for my 180" wide XD screen .94 gain Screen haha

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Very nice. I need a ton more lumens for my 180" wide XD screen .94 gain Screen haha
The UHZ65 has 3,000 lumens. You can calibrate it to between 2,200 and 2,400 lumens for HDR. 1,800 lumens for SDR would like great. FW looks great to me too. I used to see more RBE on the older FW for some reason.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,813
That's the thing I like with single chip DLP projectors, you don't have to worry about convergence.
ya man im pretty settled into single chip dlp, just waitin a few years for that 2chip projector now ^^

hell if that 3k lumen 10k:1 native rgb laser 3x0.95" chip projector is less than 40k then maybe my estimate for 2x0.65" isnt inaccurate.

I do watch a lot of UHD content. Both models make 1080p look almost 4k. The colors are way lot better then my LK970. Plus I love a bright image
do you have a preferred brightness for sdr?

If I get the 7 refurbished with the new assembly, the tech will set the convergence for free
thats a nice plus... Did you ask them about contrast and gamut modifications? if you can hit p3 and 5k:1 native that might help make the choice easier. The barco f85 had additional color filters for a p3 gamut and i think its a similar light path to the christies.

i believe the wu7k calibrates to 4k lumens with 2 new bulbs so the 12 is probably similar down to 8k lumens. so much light in either case surely you can get a nice contrast and gamut boost. p3 5k native 3chip dlp is going to look very nice.

These projectors have a 120hz refresh rate too dont they? with 16ms input lag that could provide a real nice gaming display.

Reactions: Aztar35

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
ya man im pretty settled into single chip dlp, just waitin a few years for that 2chip projector now ^^

hell if that 3k lumen 10k:1 native rgb laser 3x0.95" chip projector is less than 40k then maybe my estimate for 2x0.65" isnt inaccurate.
The tech has been making headway, so I hope sooner than later. Look at what they are doing with lasers, and already HDMI 2.1.

·
Registered
816 Posts

do you have a preferred brightness for sdr?

thats a nice plus... Did you ask them about contrast and gamut modifications? if you can hit p3 and 5k:1 native that might help make the choice easier. The barco f85 had additional color filters for a p3 gamut and i think its a similar light path to the christies.

i believe the wu7k calibrates to 4k lumens with 2 new bulbs so the 12 is probably similar down to 8k lumens. so much light in either case surely you can get a nice contrast and gamut boost. p3 5k native 3chip dlp is going to look very nice.

These projectors have a 120hz refresh rate too dont they? with 16ms input lag that could provide a real nice gaming display.
yes it does have a yellow filter to get it close to 100% P3

I have not asked about gamut or higher contrast

Well the 12 before the fix was hitting 33fc and about 25 with the yellow filter in place. I should be able to hit full P3.

Yes it does 120hz, so yes it might be a really good gaming machine. Maybe hang all 3 projectors??? haha ya the wife would kill me

So once it is fixed, the sky is the limit. I assume I will be able to hit in the 60fc-70fc range calibrated(even more if I use my A lens) and filter on. Which might be too bright. I will probably settle into the 40fc range and then that gives me plenty of head room as the bulb dims. Since I will still use my LK970 for TV and possibly games, I wont put a ton of hours on the WU12k-M

As for the 7. My neighbor is in the process of building a theater. He is not hands on. His room size was modeled on mine as he built his house and he wants a big screen(14-15') also. so I have to see if he want to invest the 5K into the 7 (total). I think it will light up the screen well. Since he likes the brightness. If he does not want to use it or if he is not ready to make a decision, I am not sure if I should just sell it with the lens as is(still hits 25fc on my screen) for what I have into it or fix it and sell it refurbished. I know they still sell them new for $27K and refurbished for about 7-8K, so I should be able to at least get my money I have into it back. Decisions decisions

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,816
yes it does have a yellow filter to get it close to 100% P3

I have not asked about gamut or higher contrast
oh the yellow filter does hit p3, i thought i remember sirmaster saying it was less, thats good. How is it with madvr and a 3dlut?

Have you measured contrast? i think i read 2k iris open 3k iris closed for the wu7k.

Were there any auto iris settings that ended up working? like 2x...

I know they still sell them new for $27K and refurbished for about 7-8K, so I should be able to at least get my money I have into it back.
great to know also thanks. its also great that they still service these units

·
Registered
816 Posts
I found a place that works on these units in Hanover IL (about 90 mins from me) and they gave me a inspection/quote for free. Just had to take a road trip on a couple Saturdays ago .Christie wants $350 a unit plus shipping both ways just to tell you want needs fixing.

I have not measured contrast yet. So unknown there . SirMasters set up the Madvr settings for me and I do not think we are using 3dlut with the Christie like we do with the LK970 (but I could be mistaken)

To me, for the next few years, spending $4500 total and having it near new again seems like a good deal to me. I should be able to use it for 2-3 years and still sell it for 2K ish or a bit more. So in projector $$ per year iss pretty low. I would love a Christie Gryphin, but not spending in the upper 5 digits. I would also love to get the new laser JVC if one ever gets produced, but that would still be in the 25-35k range

I will would on the iris settings once I get them back in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,818
So in projector $$ per year iss pretty low. I would love a Christie Gryphin, but not spending in the upper 5 digits. I would also love to get the new laser JVC if one ever gets produced, but that would still be in the 25-35k range
Had you seen these? still expensive starting under 40k it think

3x 0.95" 1080p, 3k, 7k, and 11k lumen models, also a 6p 5k lumen, 10k:1 native iris open, dynamic laser dimming, full bt2020 gamut rgb laser

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,294 Posts
The WU7K was about 2000:1 native contrast with the iris open.

I have not seen the WU12K yet.

It’s like ~95% rec709 without the filter and like ~95% P3 with the filter on. I’m sure with the fixed up WU12K we will use the filter on. Not sure if we should close the iris down for more contrast or lower the bulb to put out less heat and noise and make the bulbs last longer.

Though a pair of good bare bulbs for the WU12K only costs about $200.

They calibrate fine with the built in controls so no need for a 3DLUT probably.

We tried the dynamic iris but it’s super distracting IMO. Way more artifacts than anything like a JVC or Sony or Epson. Tons of gamma manipulation.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have decided to get them both repaired. My Neighbor is going to buy the WU7K-M from me. I am selling it to him for exactly what I will have into it. The Unit refurbished, 1.4/1.8 zoom lens and 4 new bulbs.

They both should take about 2-3 weeks to fix they said(most of the time waiting for the assemblies to come in). So I am excited to see how bright these machines will be. I hope to get them both back just before Thanksgiving.

1801 - 1820 of 1994 Posts