AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 1994 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The UHZ65 has 3,000 lumens. You can calibrate it to between 2,200 and 2,400 lumens for HDR. 1,800 lumens for SDR would like great. FW looks great to me too. I used to see more RBE on the older FW for some reason.
Hows calibrating the uhz 65, is it hard to dial it perfectly?
I read the owners thread some time ago and noticed alot of talk about brilliant color messing up calibrations and its not easy to calibrate.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Hows calibrating the uhz 65, is it hard to dial it perfectly?
I read the owners thread some time ago and noticed alot of talk about brilliant color messing up calibrations and its not easy to calibrate.
With this new firmware, it calibrates easily. I'm getting about 2,200 lumens for HDR and 1,800 for SDR. Images look incredible.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| M-Vision 260HB|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,337 Posts
With this new firmware, it calibrates easily. I'm getting about 2,200 lumens for HDR and 1,800 for SDR. Images look incredible.
Since you recently had a ton of projectors and high end ones, how does this one compare?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Since you recently had a ton of projectors and high end ones, how does this one compare?

😄😄"a ton"? The UHZ65 is a nice one. It and the Acer V7860 are the only ones I have seen with the 1528 XPR chips that I can say have convincing black levels. I measured .025 on a black screen with the lasers still on with this one. And with the new FW, I hardly ever see RBE with real content, but if you're RBE susceptible, I would definitely get a demo with the newest FW first. Laser dimming is superfast and with the cal I have now, any artifacts are minimal; for example, I ran the scene in the beginning of Avengers Infinity War where Loki offers up the Teseract and there was some brightness compression on the object, but I was using the higher dimming mode --DB level 2. Overall, this is my favorite projector. It has everything I want: brightness, depth, sharpness, blacks, motion, and that DLP look of color. But color is only about 107% of Rec 709. It gets into DCI P3 and shows nicely, but not 100% of P3 without a filter added.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
😄😄"a ton"? The UHZ65 is a nice one. It and the Acer V7860 are the only ones I have seen with the 1528 XPR chips that I can say have convincing black levels. I measured .025 on a black screen with the lasers still on with this one. And with the new FW, I hardly ever see RBE with real content, but if you're RBE susceptible, I would definitely get a demo with the newest FW first. Laser dimming is superfast and with the cal I have now, any artifacts are minimal; for example, I ran the scene in the beginning of Avengers Infinity War where Loki offers up the Teseract and there was some brightness compression on the object, but I was using the higher dimming mode --DB level 2. Overall, this is my favorite projector. It has everything I want: brightness, depth, sharpness, blacks, motion, and that DLP look of color. But color is only about 107% of Rec 709. It gets into DCI P3 and shows nicely, but not 100% of P3 without a filter added.
Its interestiing , between the nx7 , runco ls10, benq 9060 and the epson ls10000 and the uhz65 , the latter is the best between all these, wow that is very high praise.
What about scenes like the one on the revenent , does it look grey or convincingly black, also have u seen the uhz65 theo? it seems to do 80% bt2020 and has better black level at 2200 lumens if i m not mistaken.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Its interestiing , between the nx7 , runco ls10, benq 9060 and the epson ls10000 and the uhz65 , the latter is the best between all these, wow that is very high praise.
What about scenes like the one on the revenent , does it look grey or convincingly black, also have u seen the uhz65 theo? it seems to do 80% bt2020 and has better black level at 2200 lumens if i m not mistaken.
Well, more precisely, that's just the one I prefer.

I haven't watched that scene on the UHZ65, but similar scenes look great on this. Understand that the laser dimming is so effective.

I also haven't seen the Theo in person. Black levels and contrast are not a concern at all, for me at least, with this projector.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well, more precisely, that's just the one I prefer.

I haven't watched that scene on the UHZ65, but similar scenes look great on this. Understand that the laser dimming is so effective.

I also haven't seen the Theo in person. Black levels and contrast are not a concern at all, for me at least, with this projector.
I asked because in the NX7 vs UHZ65 neo video comparison with chris deering, they showed this scene and it looked washed out compared to the nx7, i m always interested in this optoma or the acer, just cant find any locally and firmware update is a pain on these if it cant be done at home.

Reactions: Aztar35

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I asked because in the NX7 vs UHZ65 neo video comparison with chris deering, they showed this scene and it looked washed out compared to the nx7, i m always interested in this optoma or the acer, just cant find any locally and firmware update is a pain on these if it cant be done at home.
I understand, tnaik. But keep in mind it's all relative. That same scene, for example, using the JVC X990 vs the JVC NX7, I'm sure would likewise make the NX7 look weaker there too. I really liked the X990 when I had it. The NX7's contrast is definitely not as good as the X990's, but the NX7 had other qualities that I liked more than the X990's. The contrast and black levels on the UHZ65 when using dynamic black gives me no qualms, and its laser image stability, brightness, sharpness, color, and motion make it so appealable to me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I understand, tnaik. But keep in mind it's all relative. That same scene, for example, using the JVC X990 vs the JVC NX7, I'm sure would likewise make the NX7 look weaker there too. I really liked the X990 when I had it. The NX7's contrast is definitely not as good as the X990's, but the NX7 had other qualities that I liked more than the X990's. The contrast and black levels on the UHZ65 when using dynamic black gives me no qualms, and its laser image stability, brightness, sharpness, color, and motion make it so appealable to me.
I would love to see the UHZ65 and even the Theo special edition! I had the lk970 for a short time, it was sharp but the rainbows was too crazy for me. Seeing the ht9060, i thought was much better in terms of RBE. These units (UHZ65/ht9060) have been out a while now, really hoping we see the next iteration of these units next year with more light output and other generational improvements like the whole UST movement.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would love to see the UHZ65 and even the Theo special edition! I had the lk970 for a short time, it was sharp but the rainbows was too crazy for me. Seeing the ht9060, i thought was much better in terms of RBE. These units (UHZ65/ht9060) have been out a while now, really hoping we see the next iteration of these units next year with more light output and other generational improvements like the whole UST movement.
I really think the HT9060 would be a home with better DB implementation like the uhz65 one, its just a software update, its beyond me why they cant improve it via firmware, maybe not enough people complain.

Reactions: DoctorCyclops

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I really think the HT9060 would be a home with better DB implementation like the uhz65 one, its just a software update, its beyond me why they cant improve it via firmware, maybe not enough people complain.
The 9060 has a better lens than the UHZ65 and natively has wider color, but, yes, that wasn't as noticeable a difference as the contrast between the two: the native contrast, I measured for the UHZ was around the 1,400:1 range vs. the 9060 which I measured in the 900s:1 range; dynamic for the UHZ was c. 20,000:1 vs. 9060 c. 4,600:1. You can see why that would be pretty noticeable.

·
Registered
72 Posts

The 9060 has a better lens than the UHZ65 and natively has wider color, but, yes, that wasn't as noticeable a difference as the contrast between the two: the native contrast, I measured for the UHZ was around the 1,400:1 range vs. the 9060 which I measured in the 900s:1 range; dynamic for the UHZ was c. 20,000:1 vs. 9060 c. 4,600:1. You can see why that would be pretty noticeable.
I think they didn't want to do much update since the projector was reaching the end of it's life cycle. Here's hoping they release the successor but so far it's been radio silence from BENQ.

·
Registered
680 Posts
A little off topic, but I believe btht mentioned in this thread adding a iris to a projector lens to help black levels.
Is this possible?
I'm looking at a Sony business laser projector with 10000 dynamic contrast, but 5000 lumans.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
A question for Q750i owners. I noticed some motion stuttering recently on Directv. I looked at my menu and I could not find any interpolation settings. I re-read all the process reviews from back when the 750 came out and it was not mentioned in any of the reviews. Is there a setting to address this or not? It's possible my source is causing it but maybe not.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,835
A little off topic, but I believe btht mentioned in this thread adding a iris to a projector lens to help black levels.
Is this possible?
I'm looking at a Sony business laser projector with 10000 dynamic contrast, but 5000 lumans.
I would try starting a new thread specifically for iris modifications, probably better chance of more people seeing it.

A question for Q750i owners. I noticed some motion stuttering recently on Directv. I looked at my menu and I could not find any interpolation settings. I re-read all the process reviews from back when the 750 came out and it was not mentioned in any of the reviews. Is there a setting to address this or not? It's possible my source is causing it but maybe not.
There's a framerate setting in the q750is menu, if you have it set to auto, then you're probably seeing 3/2 pulldown judder as the directtv is outputting 23p content at 60hz. If it's set to 48hz, try setting it to auto or 60hz

·
Registered
StormAudio ISP32 MK1.5 32Ch AES, QSC Q-sys Core & DCA Power Amps, SIM2 Nero 3D-1 & Nero 3, HTPC
661 Posts
Is this possible?
That was @Javs that was playing around with adding an iris to a Panasonic laser projector.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I think they didn't want to do much update since the projector was reaching the end of it's life cycle. Here's hoping they release the successor but so far it's been radio silence from BENQ.
Yes, the 9060 is a great projector even with what it gives to you already. The lens is arguably the best I've seen on a projector. I was just saying in my opinion, the way I saw it was that the difference between the UHZ and the 9060 when it comes to dynamic contrast was more noticeable than the lens and color, which means the UHZ is not as good as the 9060 in the other areas, but also that the UHZ does not look too far behind in the other areas either.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,838
Comments from Wolf, and confirmation from tnaiks m150 that the projectors used the revised led modulation for displaying near black information instead of focusing on a dynamic dimming feature.

" the LEDs do reduce output when drawing black/shades of gray. Which is why they were excellent in overall grayscale imaging."

tnaik reported only needing to set brightness to 51 to show 17, but these dlp projectors can be left at 50/default like 3chip projectors without crushing the majority of near black information.

Reactions: tnaik4 and FLX90

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,839
Can also confirm that putting the Navitar HDSSW065 in front of the Micos does not result in focus issues or increased chromatic abberation.

i originally had the mico on the top shelf and was using the wide end of the t1 lens, which resulted in some red fringing and reduced edge focus. moving the mico to center screen and adding the navitar lens resulted in less/no lens shift so less chromatic abberation.

Using the telephoto end of the mico lens so focus is further out towards the edges as well as slightly increased contrast and slightly reduced light output, combined with the larger image and its reduced light output yields a lower black level, but the bigger image + the increased contrast looks comparably bright.

The better black level actually surprised me. I had calcd a 50% improvement and didnt think it would be very noticeble, but when i toggle the leds on and off full black is much improved looking more like using a nd2 filter and halving the black level. fades in and out of black when the leds do shut off are smoother as well. very pleased with the result.

Only thing left to do in here is swap out the xy black crystal for a da-lite parallax, which will recover some brightness(0.8 gain vs 0.65) while having a similar shade of grey, better resolution due to removing gain sparkle artifacts and most sheen, and better uniformity and horizontal viewing angles and reduced hotspotting.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Does anybody know the real lumen output of the dual lamp Digital Projection dVision 30 1080p XC Projector?

1821 - 1840 of 1994 Posts