AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 2021 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Runco LS10 , the brightest with virtually perfect color and a very good dynamic contrast feature.
Sim2 HT5000E, best pure picture but without dynamic contrast feature.
Barco Cine9 stack (stacking two projectors), great image but required constant fiddling to maintain.
Sim2 MICO 50, not bright enough.
Epson LS10000, calm consistent image over several years.
Sim2 Nero 3D-2, great image but could be brighter.
Barco Cine9, great image but not bright enough.
JVC RS640, best blacks but otherwise not the best image.
Sim2 C3X, bright, would be much higher except for being 720p
BenQ LK970, great for sports but not daily viewer.
Epson 6010
Holy cow, Bob! That's some list! I should talk about the ones I had too. 😊

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Holy cow, Bob! That's some list! I should talk about the ones I had too. 😊
Yes Bob has a crazy nbr of high end projectors, what abou u Aziz whats is the rating of ur list

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Yes Bob has a crazy nbr of high end projectors, what abou u Aziz whats is the rating of ur list
...well, the LS10000 was very nice and had very good convergence too. But I like single chip precision, high resolution, as well as good contrast and motion.

I think I've had my UHZ65 long enough to be passed my "honey moon" period. With FW v. C17, it's at the top of my list.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,946
Excellent pictures there, which star wars movie is that.
I think the micos are hard to beat and has the best image quality for up to 100inch, really stunning stuff.
i think the dynamic contrast+the sharpener helps alot in terms of perceived and actual image brightness too. Higher contrast images appear brighter, and it's going from ~-2-3,000:1 to 10-15,000:1. The sharpener very visibly brightens highlights, and is really serving as a recovery for the highlight loss from the led dimming. I'm not sure what changed, any time doing this before and it just looked more compressed... its gotta be madvrs highlight recovery maxed and max lum method

did some refining:
1.png

on a 1.0 gain screen I'd be looking at ~110" image brightness matched. Toss an a-lens on that and you could get up to 140" at the same brightness. And if larger images are perceived as brighter... ;]

Brian, what the heck are you pumping up that projector with to get detailed images like that?
uhd blu rays and madvr xD

and then somehow using an lti filter in the mico is recovering highlight loss from the dynamic contrast function 🤷‍♂️ can't tell the dynamic contrast is functioning, just looks like 15,000:1 native. (・。・) turning it on and off the only change is the black level improves 5x and fine detail in light bulbs is lost, whereas before you could see highlight loss and you'd lose detail/sharpness or the scene could look compressed, this is in regard to hdr.

it definitely looks sharpened though, no gettin' around that. but also gives it some crazy depth and detail.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,949
The Superlumis does dimming in conjunction with dynamic iris action.
right, i thought it was 5-7000:1 native and 5x dynamic for 25-35,000:1, but Ekkis review and dylans recent measurements were 3x and 15-21000:1. so less compression xD but i thought the iris improves sequential contrast?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Brian, what the heck are you pumping up that projector with to get detailed images like that?
Aziz do u use MadVR? If not you owe it to urself to try and build an HTPC , its the absokute best renderer, the quality you get from it is just stunning, any time i try playing my movies in a stock windows player i see the huge difference right away, and its extreemly tweakable .

Reactions: jpbonadio

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Aziz do u use MadVR? If not you owe it to urself to try and build an HTPC , its the absokute best renderer, the quality you get from it is just stunning, any time i try playing my movies in a stock windows player i see the huge difference right away, and its extreemly tweakable .
How does it compare to current version of Kodi on a Pi4 ?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,952
the movie intro graphics always look amazing

depth/dimensionality in these with all the visual effects are incredible

shading detail in the horse is incredible

i should really get a decent camera... this is all with a sparkly screen too, gotta get that parallax in here now! will provide a nice brightness boost + 95% less gain artifacts.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Hi, John. It's one of the things I heard a lot and read about but never tried. It's a set it and forget it situation, right? I guess you just build the HTPC and put the UHD disks in the disc drive to play them. It seems great.

The laser Optoma UHZ65 is rated at 3,000 lumens. I calibrated it down to 2,200 and with the latest firmware, v. C17, I'm pretty happy with it. A lot of work went into this latest firmware and you can see how well HDR looks. Sorry about the sharp angles. I took these with my phone and didn't want my shadow to show onscreen.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi, John. It's one of the things I heard a lot and read about but never tried. It's a set it and forget it situation, right? I guess you just build the HTPC and put the UHD disks in the disc drive to play them. It seems great.

The laser Optoma UHZ65 is rated at 3,000 lumens. I calibrated it down to 2,200 and with the latest firmware, v. C17, I'm pretty happy with it. A lot of work went into this latest firmware and you can see how well HDR looks. Sorry about the sharp angles. I took these with my phone and didn't want my shadow to show onscreen. View attachment 3076930

View attachment 3076931
View attachment 3076933
Yes once u chose the settings u like its set it and forget it, for the movies i just rip them fromnthe bluray drive into the hardrive and play them from there, this way its easier to access and faster to load.
Ur images looks great, but i can guarantee you that even if u have the new Sony 10000 lumens projector its not going to look as good as MadVR, there is no projector hdr solution that i know off that can look as good as madVR, closest is the JVC N series but its not at the same level.
The thing about MadVR though is its not just about HDR tone mapping, u can use it to upscale 1080p to look so close to 4k u cant tell sometimes, also u can inject 3dluts calibration easily in it among many other features.
U always own great projectors, ur losing on picture quality by not at least trying what MadVR can do.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
These were the native and dynamic sequential contrast measurements for the UHZ65. I use DB2. You can get black down to 0.025 or 0.026. And DB3 can get you over 300,000:1 dynamic, but it shuts off the lasers. I don't use it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Yes once u chose the settings u like its set it and forget it, for the movies i just rip them fromnthe bluray drive into the hardrive and play them from there, this way its easier to access and faster to load.
Ur images looks great, but i can guarantee you that even if u have the new Sony 10000 lumens projector its not going to look as good as MadVR, there is no projector hdr solution that i know off that can look as good as madVR, closest is the JVC N series but its not at the same level.
The thing about MadVR though is its not just about HDR tone mapping, u can use it to upscale 1080p to look so close to 4k u cant tell sometimes, also u can inject 3dluts calibration easily in it among many other features.
U always own great projectors, ur losing on picture quality by not at least trying what MadVR can do.
It sounds incredible. But what I'd need to know is if I could just use it with a computer bluray disc drive? Otherwise, I'd have to first see how that works in the U.S. with our copyright laws.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It sounds incredible. But what I'd need to know is if I could just use it with a computer bluray disc drive? Otherwise, I'd have to first see how that works in the U.S. with our copyright laws.
Yes ur not breaking any laws, u buy the bluray disc, and ull have a bluray drive in ur pc, there are programs that u can rip the disc to ur drive so ull have easy access to it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,958
i use dvdfab for decrypting its just a one time fee and they update it regularly. theres no legality issues(that im aware of), thats all for file sharing.

having a digital library is great not having to swap discs and wade through menus though

it is extra work and these uhd files fill hard drives, im at about 56tb

you would use the lumagen or envy if you want to stick to a normal bdp. it is a big uptick in performance, the dynanic tone mapping, the 3dlut, though i couldnt say if madvrs normal video processing is comparable to the oppo or better or worse.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Yes ur not breaking any laws, u buy the bluray disc, and ull have a bluray drive in ur pc, there are programs that u can rip the disc to ur drive so ull have easy access to it.
having a digital library is great not having to swap discs and wade through menus though

it is extra work and these uhd files fill hard drives, im at about 56tb
I guess then that if someone wanted to just play the bluray straight through the computer's disc drive, that can be done too?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I guess then that if someone wanted to just play the bluray straight through the computer's disc drive, that can be done too?
It can be done in a way, just not practical, u can do it easily with powedvd software but that defeat the purpose of madvr since it wont function with it.
With MadVR u can open the file from the blurat directly to watch the movie but that would be without any menus, there might be a way but i never tried it to be honest since i like ripping all my movies on the drive and have easy access to my library

1941 - 1960 of 2021 Posts