AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a dedicated HTPC in the form of a Sony Vaio laptop model VGN-FW170J. It has an Intel 4 Series Express chipset ( http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/4m/ ) with HDMI. Intel's website says it is in fact 3D ready. I have the latest drivers according to their website and there are 3D settings available in the adapter CPL. I am also using a recent HDMI cable, but couldn't confirm what version it is.

I typically run Windows MCE as my "every day" player and use PowerDVD v13 for BR playback. I have roughly half my 1000+ movie collection ripped to my HTPC, (stored remotely on my network on a "server" HTPC) but that has been mostly DVD's because the ability to integrate the same seamless playback for BR and especially 3D has proven to be more difficult. BR plays fine using PowerDVD via the HTPC, but 3D is a manual, physical disk operation. Currently I have maybe a dozen BR and 3D titles ripped into ISO on a local HDD and mount them with Virtual Clone Drive to manually play them as needed. Most recently I am trying Thor-2, but I don't think the title is all that relevant.

I have a

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Howdy all. I'm shocked that I haven't gotten even one reply on this post, but 50 views! Is this one beyond the knowledge of this group? LOL

Seriously, I'm a little surprised. Even if the reply was to point me in the direction of a suitable resource I'm surprised.

Thanks if anyone has any input or advice!.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You have a wall of text with a volumous but obscure description of the problem, but with easily available information that your hardware is old and does not support 3D, and being a laptop, is not upgradable. So there is your answer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi  /t/1521761/older-laptop-and-3d-isos#post_24609061

You have a wall of text with a volumous but obscure description of the problem, but with easily available information that your hardware is old and does not support 3D, and being a laptop, is not upgradable. So there is your answer.
Thank you for your reply.

I do know my hardware is old. However, the manufacturer says it does in fact support 3D and the video settings also reflect this. Reality being as it is though perhaps it doesn't work in the real world....hence my question.

I was hoping that someone had experience with this video card and either had a way of doing it (via settings etc) or could say conclusively that it does not work in spite of what the settings say on the system.

It is also possible that I am entirely missing some pertinent item in this scenario. I'm not that experienced with the intricacies of hardware and players here.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts