AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an older meridian 565 processor feeding Marantz monoblock amps. The meridian has had all the upgrades that meridian offered and I am running it in a 7.1 configuration.

I don't have the budget to upgrade to any new meridian gear and meridan is not offering any more upgrades to the 565. This was state of the art at the time, but I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to a newer pre/pro or reciever that is midrange budget? Will I hear any improvements or am I just as well off sticking with the meridian, even though it is older?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Joe H

· Registered
1,417 Posts
I had a 568 in my system to play with last year, and it is 24 bit while I think your 565 was either 18 ro 20, with the 561 being the other, and it sounded dated compared to many other processors, so the 565 will certainly sound dated.

It is a question of what cost you are going to go into that isn't reference, but is what youc an spend now. If I were going cheaper, but wanted the most for my buck, if you love music than I would get a Theta Casanova used for 1700 to 1900, and if music is really secondary, but you just want movie improvements the Old Lexicon MC1 is about 1700 now days, and is 24 bit and was more dynamic on movies than the 568 which is newer than the 565 is,so that would be your play. The lexicon is also a true digital piece like your Meridian so itwill sound familiar, but on music is not as natural sounding as your meridian is, but on movie control you would really like it.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would the newer receivers like the newest pioneer elite VSX-59TXi(used as strictly a preamp/processor) sound compared to the older meridian 565.. both for theater and music?

Thanks for any advice...

Joe H

· Registered
1,047 Posts
One of the unfortunate things about seeking advice on the Internet is you have no idea of the reliability of the people who respond. I would take a careful look at Addicted Help!!'s posting history before placing any credibility whatsoever in his opinions.

The Meridian 565 is certainly among the best-designed and best sounding pre/pros, even to this day. It lacks some of the newer features introduced since its day, but if you like how the 565 sounds you will likely be disappointed moving to a midrange receiver. Also, if you like Meridian's proprietary surround processing you won't find it on other gear. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your 565 out of hand, especially if it is doing everything you want.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

· Registered
5,548 Posts
" but you just want movie improvements the Old Lexicon MC1 is about 1700 now days, and is 24 bit and was more dynamic on movies than the 568 which is newer than the 565 is,so that would be your play. The lexicon is also a true digital piece like your Meridian so itwill sound familiar, but on music is not as natural sounding as your meridian is"

Am I understanding this correctly... you are judging the 565s performance, apparently never having heard one, based on the number of bits it D/A converters are relative to the number of bits on a Meridian you have heard? Then trying to extrapolate that out to a processor from another company.

Shawn

· Registered
5,548 Posts
Joe,

How much movie and music material do you listen to that starts as a 2 channel source that you matrix out to more channels?

The steered modes on the 565 are eclipsed by newer processes.

Likewise moving from 5.1 sources up to 7.1 speaker configurations would also be improved in some newer products that offer processing such as PLIIx or L7.

If you use Trifield a lot you need to weigh loosing that against what you gain elsewhere.

Depending upon what you go with you would almost surely gain more I/O flexibility since the 565 is extremely limited in that regard without pairing it with another switcher like the 562.

You probably would gain better bass management as the 565s doesn't really work as it appears to.

You almost certainly would gain a better UI as the 565s is very bad IMO.

Might gain support for a 5.1 input for DVD-A/SACD if desired.

A newer used Meridian could gain you some better steered modes (PLII) while keeping Trifield. Since you use a 7.1 setup you would need to move to at least a 568 since the 561 can only do 5.1 channels analog. Or there are options from other companies as well depending upon your budget and needs.

Shawn

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Quote:
You probably would gain better bass management as the 565s doesn't really work as it appears to.
No need to bring out old bugs, since as specified by another Meridian 565 owner with v6.2 firmware, the adjustable subwoofer XO works, especially since the user is not complaining about the lack of flexibilty in bass management, or lack of a user friendly interface.

Anyway, gaining whatever bit of information in the newer receivers does not make up for losing Trifield. One is so minutely subtle while the other one is day and night.

I would load up on Ambisonic discs that are being offered dirt cheap by Nimbus and bring realism into the next level.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the insights. I am about 60-70% movies and the balance music in this room. I do love Trifield for music. I was concerned about the older DAC's in the 565 and the fact that Meridian is not making any more software upgrades to the unit and wasn't sure if it would be a step up or a step down to go to a new receiver as a pre/pro.

Thanks again for the input.

Joe

· Registered
27,725 Posts
Time to sell...

I just sold my 565/562V combo last month for $1300 and put it towards a Lexicon MC-12. It really beat up the Meridian. I owned the 565 for 8 years and very much enjoyed. It turned out to be a wise investment. The Logic 7 beats the 565 in every mode and the set up flexibility and ergonomic far surpass the Meridian.

MY theater is 100% DVD...no audio. I am pleased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.