AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watched most of Contact... you now, the jodie foster movie where she travels through that big machine, a wormhole, etc... anyhow, it was on a non HD channel. My AVR (onkyo 806) converted it into plIIx movie, and i changed it to a few different modes.

Here's my question: this movie is coming out on Bluray in Octboer, and on the back of that bluray it shows "Dolby True HD, English 5.1" you can find it on amazon, they have a view jacket feature, can zoom and see what audio formats are listed .... im assuming the original was mastered in Dolby Digital ... so is this gonna sound better? like crap? or what?

Havent watched this movie since i got a proper sub, and new amp... seems there was LOADS of LFE when she's in the wormhole etc. Considering grabbing it on bluray when it comes out.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEmoses /forum/post/16991890

watched most of Contact... you now, the jodie foster movie where she travels through that big machine, a wormhole, etc... anyhow, it was on a non HD channel. My AVR (onkyo 806) converted it into plIIx movie, and i changed it to a few different modes.

Here's my question: this movie is coming out on Bluray in Octboer, and on the back of that bluray it shows "Dolby True HD, English 5.1" you can find it on amazon, they have a view jacket feature, can zoom and see what audio formats are listed .... im assuming the original was mastered in Dolby Digital ... so is this gonna sound better? like crap? or what?

Havent watched this movie since i got a proper sub, and new amp... seems there was LOADS of LFE when she's in the wormhole etc. Considering grabbing it on bluray when it comes out.

My understanding is they aren't just upsampling a Dolby Digital soundtrack. Rather they are creating the new HD audio soundtracks from the original masters.

By comparison, I've seen several blu-ray reissues that sound excellent--the original Star Trek movies most recently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts