AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a better player than the one I have now for my legacy LD collection, and a -D704 model is adequate for my purposes (and what I was planning on getting). But I notice quite a few -701, -702, and -703 models on eBay and elsewhere, and have not been able to find any information on what differences there were between models.

I'm familiar with the -D704, and AFAIK, the -D703 is basically the same, except it lacks the AC3 RF output. So does anyone know what else the earlier models are lacking, and might you recommend stearing clear of them possibly because of their age?

All I know about the -701 and -702 is that they lack the separate tray for CDs, which is irrelevant to me since I have numerous other CD players, and wouldn't wear out the expensive drive motor in an LD player with CDs anyway.

I've seen -D702s go for $150 on eBay, so if are there any differences in picture quality or features you could clue me in on, I'd appreciate it.

- Tim

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Tim, I think you shouldn't take anything older than a 703. The older models don't look quite as good and they're really old. I'd put the Elite 79 on my list. I think Elite models make better used purchases because they proably have more life left than regular line models.

I got to tryout a used 702 once to see if I wanted it. It had, I think, a laser allignment problem. I didn't play with it too long. It had problems. I never had a 701, but it dates to about 1991. It was supposed to be a bad year for players. As the 90's moved forward, players got better. Forget the 701.

I had a 703 and liked it very much but sold it to my sister because I was getting an even nicer player, this was quite some time ago. 5 or 6 years ago. I believe I'd tend to go for the 704 or 79. The last 79's were made in '97. So, you could maybe find a fairly new-er one with some luck and looking. Best wishes!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a 704 unit, since they were released, and have yet to have

ANY problems with it. I recall it being the best reviewed model in the Pioneer line, and was favored over it's ELITE line counterpart.

Heck, i still prob have the review laying around here somewhere.

Winston

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rachael and winman, thanks very much for the feedback.

Rachael wrote:

> I think you shouldn't take anything older than a 703. The older models ... and they're really old. I'd put the Elite 79 on my list. I think Elite models make better used purchases because they probably have more life left than regular line models.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While perusing DejaNews, I noticed a comment from Kurtis Bahr on the Panasonic LX-900:

> The LX-900 is definitely competitive with the Pioneer 99/703/704, but for some reason Panasonic put an AGC circuit into the 900 which will not allow full contrast levels. Blacks will not get as black as with a Pioneer unit. If not for the black level problem, I would have held onto the LX-900 I had once.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Tim, I've never owned a Panasonic 900, but I have used it's Denon 3500 clone. The Denon 3500 is an impressive player. I think it's pic is slightly better than a 79 but not as good as a 99. It has no AC-3 output if that makes any difference. Actually, I got the 3500 at a local place for Corbin Stirn. I'll be sending it to him when he finishes paying for it. The downside to these Panny players is that if they develope a problem, that maybe the end of them. I wouldn't count on Panasonic to suppourt their LD products at this point.

I sure liked my 79 before I moved on to the Japanese players. I would say it and my 703 were pretty equal, if there was any edge it was to the 79. Best wishes on your LD quest!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.