AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am seriously considering doing this and wanted to get others' input...

I'm in the market for a receiver upgrade, and, of course, want to do it as affordably as possible.

I have a 5.1 system, have NO interest in adding speakers, and HDMI-based on most of my inputs, and really need a more powerful and higher quality amp.

There are some excellent, high-quality receivers out on the used market at fabulous discounts compared to buying a new product with the same power output. The primary difference is that the old ones have no HDMI inputs. They have all the digital decoding I need, and the processing, even the bass management, but no HDMI.

So I'm considering buying a used high-quality receiver AND an HDMI switch from Monoprice. Several switches provide a coax or toslink digital out alongside the HDMI out, so I could use the outboard switch to handle the HDMI to the TV and feed the digial audio to the receiver. I'm thinking something like the "4x2 True Matrix High Speed HDMI Powered Switch w/ Remote (HDMI x.v. Color) w/ 3D support" from monoprice, product ID 6415 . (I can't post links yet.)

There are two downsides that I see, off-hand:

1. Need to manage a separate device when switching inputs. Not a big deal for me.

2. Can't independently tune the audio/video settings for each HDMI source.

How big a deal is the second? If these were ANALOG inputs, I'd want to keep the ability to tune the settings for each input, but since they're all HDMI digital feeds, honestly, most of the tunability is gone, anyway. Mind you, I haven't tried putting the same video test DVD into my PC and into my PS3 to see if the picture is identical, but shouldn't they be?

If I can get away with this, I can spend less money than I would on a new receiver, yet get a CONSIDERABLY better sound system.

Feedback is welcome!

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
I used one of these switches from Monoprice for years with an Onkyo 696 and it worked without a hitch. Should not be a problem. Get the older AVR you want and the switch and give it a go. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You should be able to find nice deals on used HDMI 1.3 receivers. Many people are upgrading to 3D and sell their old stuff. HDMI will get you lossless audio from BD besides easy input switching.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.