AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CN - need info about fixing RPTV, see last 2 paragraphs.

Hi All,

About 10 years ago I got my first taste of big screen TV's. Our family got a Sony KP-53V80 RPTV from Bestbuy (I think). This TV was glorious when we first got it. Hands down the best picture for a RPTV I had ever seen. Bright enough to get a tan, crystal clear picture and really great sound for built in speakers.

Over the years, as you can guess, the picture lost its pop and slowly faded into something you could really only watch in a darkish room. The clear picture also faded as my mothers smoking habits undoubtedly started to gum up the innerds of the TV. I moved out about a year after we got the TV and went back to a good ol 27" CRT.

In 2004, after buying my first house and moving in, we had a housefire that destroyed everything.. including my trusty Sony CRT. After about 2 years of insurance company run arounds and building contractors games, our house was done and I started looking into buying a nice new HDTV. Yadda yadda yadda, I end up with a KDS-60A2000 and could not believe that a RPTV could look like this. Brought me right back to buying that Sony RPTV.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my mom decides to dump the Sony RPTV and get a LCD or Plasma HDTV. Turns out she knows somebody who works for Philips and got her a pretty good deal on a 46" 1080p LCD. After hooking it up for her, she asks if I want the RPTV. Having a 6 y/o kid who loves playing his gamecube and Wii on my HDTV, I figured this would be a great thing for his play room... I know I know, spoiled much?

After moving this TV as carefully as possible, I have 3 issues I need to address. Im hoping you guys could help me out here.

1. Anybody know how to go about replacing the bulbs in this thing, is it user serviceable at all? Im pretty handy with tools and such, building pcs n stuff.

2. Im not sure if we caused this in the move, im almost sure we did, the convergence of this TV seems way off... most colors look ok.. but whites have a blue shadow now.. so I think the blue projector must have been nudged out of alignment. Do these TV's have a service screen to fix convergence, or is this a manual process from inside the TV?

3. Its absolutely filthy! When I got it home, I popped open the back cover and was greeted by what looked like a cave of stalactites and stalagmites of dust and gunk. Is there any good way of blowing this thing out with compressed air without just moving the crap around? I figured some compressed air and a vacuum sucking up the air might help.

Im guessing I need a professional to handle all of these things and will likely call somebody, but I wanted to get some advice from you guys on this.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
1. You can probably get the brightness back by cleaning the CRTs themselves.

2. You would have to refer to the unit's user guide for how to adjust the convergence it shoud be a user available capabilty for a CRT RPTV.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm surprised that only 1 reply... If I was going to clean this one... I wold take the set to a self carwash and spray the inside, first with the presoak and then with the super rinse.

OK. I would use a dryvac or shopvac type of vacum to suckup as much as possible, then I would take it outside and do the reverse, blow on it to remove/loosen as much as possible, if you want to use compress air would be ok if you're going to leave the set unpower of at least 4-5 hrs. in order to make sure all condensation created be cold/hot air goes away; Then I would vacum again. Once the boards are clean or cleaner, you need to remove the screen and clean the mirror and guns, there is plenty of information on doing this.

Your final step would be to do a DCAM adjusment, look first under the regular menu for something lime magic focus, and/or 9 point adjustment.

I'm sure if your picture is usable now It will be like a new set once you do all these.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts!

Cleaning will be the first step and hopefully enough to make it watchable for my son. I found a post on another forum while googling that will probably keep me from spending too much time on this... http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/15647/ I dont wanna get into soldering and ripping the TV completly apart.

Gonna get myself some lens cleaner, some new microfiber towels and give it a good dusting and cleaning. Even if it restores 10% of the brightness, i will be happy. Its hardly watchable in even a dimly lit room.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, she was horrified to see the pictures and find out that I put them up for other people to see on the internet!!

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamoon /forum/post/14251256

haha, she was horrified to see the pictures and find out that I put them up for other people to see on the internet!!

Wow that looks like something growing in my fridge. You should also tell your mom that her lungs probably look worse! I kid, I kid.... I'm surpised that thing doesn't catch on fire lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She actually has quit smoking, over a year now, which is great! Hopefully her new TV wont meet the fate this one has

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
10 yrs old = Carpet dirt & dust

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazing, she also has this 8x6 "oriental" rug that sheds like nothing else... you can actually continuously vacuum this thing and never actually get it "clean".. im sure alot of it is these fibers. She is actually getting rid of it now after seeing these pictures!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts