Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking about changing my integrated solution (Marantz SR7000) to separates and, as with most people, want the best system for the least money.

I've managed to pick up a few Marantz MA500's pretty cheap and a few more look likely - and I've started looking for a new processor. I'm really really fed up with the Marantz's bass handling which was fine with my old setup (bookshelves all round + a rega vulcan sub) but is now less than ideal with a pair of Rega floorstanding speakers which can manage "large" very nicely.

So while looking into the second hand market I noticed a lot of older model processors going for VERY reasonable amounts (

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might look at the Lex MC-1. They have an upgrade deal for current owners, and I think that there would be a number of these around. I've been seeing them on Audiogon.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Many years ago when I stepped from a receiver to my first Lexicon DC-1, there was an incredible difference in my entire movie watching experience that I watched all my movies again.

Same thing happened when I went from a DC-1 to an MC-1 and so on :)

I'd second KenS2000's recommendation to looking up a Lexicon MC-1, there should be quite a few out there because of the trade ups and they should be pretty competitively priced.

You'll get Logic 7 and THX EX modes. It should also have sufficient bass management to handle your configuration.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Lexicon suggestion. Unfortunately I haven't found any MC-1's around my price range ($1000) and perhaps its not likely they will go down that much while they are worth buying :(

Can anyone who's tried the various models comment on whether the Lexicon is that much better than the Sunfire MKII (or Krell HTS) which can probably be got for around $1000 now?

Jonathan

·
Registered
60 Posts
don't mean to hijack this thread, but i was going to post a very similar question.

since getting an incredible deal on a 5-ch amp (linn 5125), i've been searching long and hard for a matching pre/pro. from what i've heard, nothing goes better with linn than linn, and i have another opportunity to buy the 5103 for

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
boy,

You can perform component switching with a $25 RS AV switcher. Why worry about paying for good 5.1 analog bypass with the small amount of software out there.

Either go for pure sound quality at the $1k price range of step up to the $2k range where you can almost have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Johnathan,

You should look at a used Aragon Soundstage (retail 4k, going for under 1300 used). Has *inside* the exact circuitry of Aragon's top of the line Aurum preamp (retail 1800 in 1990)....so 2 channel performance is excellent. Does AC3 and DTS very well, with no bugs or quirks. Has 5.1 inputs and the crossover flexibility you desire: one for music and one for movies. For example, you can use 35hz for 2 channel and 75hz for movies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
go with the avp( you can get one for 1500 around .

and if you later want to upgrade , it has a lot of upgrades as well(though quite expensive~2000 dollars).

regards

shahed karim

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a used Aragon Soundstage. I gave the Outlaw 950 a try and didn't like 2 channel performance. I'm waiting to receive Aragon Soundstage :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The Aragon sounds pretty good. Or if you don't need 5.1 inputs a Meridian 565 or Lexicon DC-1.

Steve

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the additional suggestions guys (and gals) - they're on my list now!

I've found a reasonably good deal on a Sunfire Theater Grand II but I can't find out whether it supports different cross-overs for different inputs / surround modes (e.g. 150 for DTS/DVD listening, 30 or 40 for stereo/CD).

Can anyone with one (or experience with one) help?

Jonathan

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am happy with my B&K Reference 30. It has 5.1 inputs for SACD/DVD-A and 7.1 capability. I think you can get one pre-owned fro around $1,000-1,200 on Audogon or Ebay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a previous owner of the Sunfire and current owner of the 5103, I can tell you that there is a LOT of difference. The 5103 is just a superior product both for music and HT use. I think that 2k is a great deal on this piece and you will not be disappointed. Also it is a perfect match for the 5125 you already have.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
The older processors still sound very good . The economy seems to have slowed the rapid pace of new features. What separated the older units from the latest ones is mainly features. More surround formats and thus channels, and more options for video switching. I'd certainly recommend making a deal on an older pre/pro. I've had both the Proceed and the Aragon in the same system and am no fan of the Aragon pre/pro's digital to analog conversion. I realize I stand alone here but that's my opinion. I think the Proceed sounded much much better even though at the time I had all Aragon amps. Still love Aragon amps, great amps! The digital to analog conversion of the Soundstage was the weakness of the unit. No real complaints about it as an analog pre-amp. Meridian's older stuff is probably what I would buy for hometheater. The company appears to be sound financially and has a great track record with product support.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.