AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a "vintage" THX certified sub that was mfg'd sometime between 1996-2000. I don't know the previous life this sub led, but it's from a local "vintage" dealer that has a pretty good reputation for having good stuff. It's a good deal on a good sub, but it will not have a warranty. I'm a little worried about the remaining life in the driver, and whether the driver surround, cone & voice coil will last if I start using it regularly. Does anyone have subs they are still using regularly for movies & music after 5+ years?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Can you give us a model number, or at least a price point ballpark? The "newer" high-output subs simply outclass even the most expensive subs from the late 90's (Bag End, Velodyne, M&K, etc.) It is all a matter of linear air displacement, and the subs from that era were limited by the drivers and the relatively low power amps. Newer "super" subs displace 3-4 times more air (or more) than the best drivers from 8 to 10 years ago. Unless you are getting a "steal" on this sub, there is a good chance that a new sub would be better in your home theater.

JP

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Those subs marked as THX usually ran a pretty high output but thay rolled off at about 35hz, like a sealed driver would.I'm not sure what SPL they had to meet but the sacrifice was the bottom end. At one time you had a choice with a switch that would roll off the low frequency to get the SPL at 35hz.Hope this helps.

KG

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you both raise good points, and I think I'm going to pass on it. It is a Boston VR2000 - it was the top of the Boston subs in the late 90's - 12" driver, dual ports and 350w RMS. Boston's not really known as a sub maker, but compared to the $400 (the used price) subs available today it looked like it could hold it's own. I can't find a professional review on the 'net, although I know there were some done at the time. It is on the TN list down in the "other frequency ranges" section, where it did 25-50 hz @ 109 dB. I agree that the some of the older THX-certified subs I have seen weren't all that impressive below 35 hz.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
I think you both raise good points, and I think I'm going to pass on it. It is a Boston VR2000 - it was the top of the Boston subs in the late 90's - 12" driver, dual ports and 350w RMS. Boston's not really known as a sub maker, but compared to the $400 (the used price) subs available today it looked like it could hold it's own. I can't find a professional review on the 'net, although I know there were some done at the time. It is on the TN list down in the "other frequency ranges" section, where it did 25-50 hz @ 109 dB. I agree that the some of the older THX-certified subs I have seen weren't all that impressive below 35 hz.
I see you have been reading Nousaine's list. Why don't you PM Ed Mullen and see what he thinks. Good luck with your search.

Ian

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That sub is a solid one, for the time period. At the $400 price point, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to match it. You could get a couple of the BIC H-100's or a lower model Hsu or SVS sub. Heck, even a couple of the Dayton 12's wouldn't be a bad choice and you would have some change left from the $400 for beer and movies.

JP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.