AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have an 18 year old Velodyne F1000 powered subwoofer. Several months ago it started making a quiet pop when I'd switch it on. Not too much longer after that, the pop was followed by a thump. Later yet, it would turn on and then make what I've heard referred to as a "motor-boating" sound. The driver would make a rhythmic thumping and then stop after a couple seconds. The sub still worked fine after the thumping stopped. I put up with it for quite a while, but it got to the point that it would do this, need to be switched off to stop it, etc.

Yesterday it wouldn't stop. I thought maybe it was something to do with the AC coming in, and that a capacitor that was dying/ dead. I opened the back of the sub and pulled the amplifier out. I couldn't see a fried cap anywhere. I know just enough about electronics to know what a cap, resistor, transistor are and what their basic functions are, and can do a halfway decent job of soldering (one semester of EE at ITT Tech, years ago.)

I thought I'd take a cheap and easy wild stab at fixing the problem, and replaced the capacitor at the AC input board. I figured the 2 bucks I spent at Radio Shack couldn't hurt.

Well, I replaced the cap and it is still doing it.

I know this is probably a lost cause without measurement devices, but does anyone have a good idea what died, and if it is worth repairing?

It's an old sub that cost $950 when I got it. It was very musical and even though it only has an 80 watt amp, it works quite well in my apartment with my Vandersteen 1C's. If I could fix it for under $200 I would probably do it. I don't want to waste $60-80 just to have a tech tell me it's toast, though.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts