AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well would OLED handle hockey? If a person watches a few games a year, would OLED be a good option? Say on a screen 65"+, and on an LC C9, LG CX, Sony A8G, A9G, A8H.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
An hour ago you posted you have a firm $1500 budget for a TV, now you want info about a 65"+ OLED?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Whatever you do, DON'T play hockey in the same room as your OLED TV.

Watching a few games a month (much less a year) is, on the other hand, quite harmless. It takes hundreds of hours to actually exhaust the panel's headroom. A very short time for a sports bar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An hour ago you posted you have a firm $1500 budget for a TV, now you want info about a 65"+ OLED?
This is for something different. A friend has a store, and was thinking of an OLED for the store, and occasionally, hockey is watched on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever you do, DON'T play hockey in the same room as your OLED TV.

Watching a few games a month (much less a year) is, on the other hand, quite harmless. It takes hundreds of hours to actually exhaust the panel's headroom. A very short time for a sports bar.
It would be maybe 15 games per year. Mainly all in one weekend. Then that's it.

How well would it handle it?

·
Registered
801 Posts
It would be maybe 15 games per year. Mainly all in one weekend. Then that's it.
How well would it handle it?
It's nothing. Start worrying around 100.

The game itself is harmless to the TV. The only thing to be concerned about is bright red or yellow tickers constantly on-screen that some channels might have for some sports. Modern OLED TV are not affected by bright content, as long as that content is in motion.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
OLED TVs are better than LCD, but hockey, IMO, is one area where the difference is slim to none. Everything is very bright.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Living in Minnesota, the State Hockey Tournament is something I watch every year. There are four games every day for three days, and two on the fourth day. They are back to back.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Would ABL be an issue with hockey since the majority of the screen is bright?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
For hockey in a public space I would opt for LCD. And I'm staunch believer in self emissive technologies.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
If it's going to be in a lit store, just get an edge lit LCD tv. Perfect blacks will mean nothing under store lights, and edge lit will produce better viewing angles compared to an FALD LCD tv. Get a cheap edge lit for the store and go big. 75 inches or more.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If it's going to be in a lit store, just get an edge lit LCD tv. Perfect blacks will mean nothing under store lights, and edge lit will produce better viewing angles compared to an FALD LCD tv. Get a cheap edge lit for the store and go big. 75 inches or more.
For use in a bright store, you want an IPS panel for maximum viewing angles - no local dimming needed. A cheap LG IPS would do the job, or spend a bit more for a nano cell with better colors.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For use in a bright store, you want an IPS panel for maximum viewing angles - no local dimming needed. A cheap LG IPS would do the job, or spend a bit more for a nano cell with better colors.
Its not lit very well. And it is just for us to watch. The store is very small. Only selling archery supplies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts