AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which looks better the ec9300 or the js9500 with HDR content? I currently own the ec970 but with HDR hyped up so much I am contemplating returning it. Has any reviewer seen both in person and made the comparison?

Is it possible for them to update the firmware in the ec9300 to show HDR?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Technically OLED is the superior display technology, but HDR displays can a brighter "torch mode" look that some people like. Not only that, but torch mode-like brightness can be useful if you watch things during the daytime, but the likes of OLED would look better in a darker environment unless you like to burn your eyeballs out (eyes don't like very bright things in dark environments).

The obvious solution is to get an HDR OLED. :p

As for with native HDR content, uh...is there actually any of that yet readily available yet other than maybe some demo videos?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Technically OLED is the superior display technology, but HDR displays can a brighter "torch mode" look that some people like.
This is not a fair characterization. The attraction of HDR is that it displays natural scenes in higher fidelity than other technologies, since it has a better approximation to the contrast and color we can see. To see the benefits, however, the source video has to record scenes in higher fidelity, before the superior contrast and color can be shown on an HDR TV. Technically, HDR is the superior display technology over non-HDR displays.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The attraction of HDR is that it displays natural scenes in higher fidelity than other technologies, since it has a better approximation to the contrast and color we can see./quote]
To me, what you describe sounds more like both gamut and HDR together, not HDR alone.

Technically, HDR is the superior display technology over non-HDR displays.
But he was asking about OLED vs HDR LED, not non-HDR OLED vs HDR OLED.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
The attraction of HDR is that it displays natural scenes in higher fidelity than other technologies, since it has a better approximation to the contrast and color we can see.
To me, what you describe sounds more like both gamut and HDR together, not HDR alone.
No, HDR has both high brightness and more gradations of brightness. Otherwise it would conform to your "torch mode" caricature. The only way of producing more gradations of brightness is to produce more gradations of R, G, B, because that's how color television works. So an HDR display will have improved color, aside from any wider gamut it may have.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
But that is deep color (10bit, 12bit, 16bit) not HDR.
You're mistaken. All varieties of HDR have had over 8 bits of brightness, from the original Brightside technology, to Dolby Vision, to the UHD alliance version. Can you refer me to something called HDR which has only 8 bit color depth?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You're mistaken. All varieties of HDR have had over 8 bits of brightness, from the original Brightside technology, to Dolby Vision, to the UHD alliance version.
But that doesn't make deep color the same as HDR, it just makes it a prerequisite for HDR if you don't want banding issues.

Can you refer me to something called HDR which has only 8 bit color depth?
You do know that HDR is a generic term independent of TV technologies, right? It literally just means "high dynamic range".

There's a reason the specific TV HDR standards are not named just "HDR", because that already means something.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
You do know that HDR is a generic term independent of TV technologies, right?
No, I don't know that. If you are referring to something going on inside your head, I defer to your authority. Otherwise, I would need evidence.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I said what the acronym stood for - "high dynamic range"; put that exact phrase into any search engine.
And does some search engine tell me that HDR is "independent of TV technologies"? Because that's what you claimed. (If you can recall what you wrote.)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Comparing OLED to HDR is meaningless. HDR is just a wider color gamut. All the properties that people like about OLED, infinite contrast, perfect blacks, "inky" colors, those are characteristics of an OLED panel. Something LCD will never be able to match. The best FALD sets have a few hundred dimming zones. A 4K OLED has 8,294,400 "dimming zones".

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
And does some search engine tell me that HDR is "independent of TV technologies"? Because that's what you claimed. (If you can recall what you wrote.)
It should, otherwise you'd be considering HDR in TV tech, HDR in photos, and HDR in videogames to be completely unrelated to one-another.

High dynamic range is nothing more than dynamic range that is of enough quantity to be considered "high" rather than typical or even low - heck you can have high dynamic range in audio.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
An HDR display has to have peak brightness much higher than lowest black level, but a wide color gamut display need not have enhanced brightness. So to say that HDR is just wide color gamut really makes no sense.

Reactions: dsinger

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
An HDR display has to have peak brightness much higher than lowest black level, but a wide color gamut display need not have enhanced brightness. So to say that HDR is just wide color gamut really makes no sense.
So white is going to be brighter then black on these new sets? Man... what will they think of next??

On a more serious note... so how are they going to increase max brightness on these panels that are claiming to be HDR upgradable via a firmware update? The 2015 OLEDs are 800nit and we've heard that they will be HDR upgradable via firmware.

Also, HDR at the end of the day is bringing out the detail in dark scenes, for example, by, you guessed it, a wider color gamut, less banding, etc. At the end of the day an RGB TV is an RGB TV.

What had to be done to get HDR content into your TV is irrelevant since we are talking about the TV aspect. So at the end of the day, yes, its just showing more colors since that's really what a TV does last time I checked :).

That being said "wider color gamut" is an oversimplification of what's going on, but its still what's going on at a simplified level.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
That being said "wider color gamut" is an oversimplification of what's going on, but its still what's going on at a simplified level.
You know about the hue/saturation/brightness model for describing colors. HDR has more colors in the sense that it reproduces more levels of brightness. Wide color gamut has more colors in the sense that it reproduces more levels of saturation. There are different dimensions involved.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts