AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 9526 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have an OLED and want to post your 5% grey slides etc., please post them here for discussion. This can be the place for us to compare and contrast our panels. It may even show us if any of these issues get better over time. *Please note your panel size and brand.

***Please allow your panel to go through several auto compensation cycles (100-200 hours) before posting a pic of your screen uniformity. Out of the box OLEDs with zero hours will not be a good representation of the final look of your panel.***

video_analysis - Slides Here's a link to the slides for those who want 10%, 100% and 0% through 5% for USB playback: https://mega.nz/#!f4Ig2ASC!iu7UrrzLIK4sqiUoUO8JZ_C13Pz0euJqDY47lz-xYcs

Please follow these steps when taking pictures of your panel to post in this thread.

Settings

LG OLEDs
ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Gamma BT.1886

Sony OLEDs
Factory Cinema Pro preset

*Note: Pictures should be taken in a dark room with lights off. If possible, rest camera against a solid surface to reduce blurring.*

*NEW* - Tinting Test: Along with banding and vignetting there is also the possibility of tinting on mostly white screens that may look like a yellow or magenta in appearance. Best way to check is to run a pure white screen. Be aware that the tinting may change depending on seating position. Certain colors may show it as well like yellow or beige or tan.

Test links below including “real content” and screens. More will be added soon.

Helpful links and Information

5% Banding Test YouTube

mrtickleuk
The OA - Netflix - S02 - E02 - starting at 1:06:16, camera drifts up the stairs.

video_analysis
Marco Polo - Netflix - 14-16 minutes (S1E3)

The Walking Dead
S08E08

Flaken2000
Here is some content examples I've personally used.
Arrival
First, where she is walking into school through the corridors up the steps (from 4:00). Camera panning over grass field (from 18:48). Next when they first go up into the capsule and travel up (from 26:20). Another is right at the end of the film where the camera pans down from the ceiling to the scene looking out through the window to the sea (from 1:45:25).

Interstellar
At the beginning of the movie, right after the flight scene, main character wakes up (1:48). Very dark scene.

The Martian
At the beginning of the movie, horizontal camera pan showing Mars red mountains (1:26)

Prometheus
Scenes in the caves on the alien world (34:11)

Passengers
Pool scene. Panning shot of spaceship (41:35)

Recently Added

Wizziwig

Netflix: Night on Earth - https://www.netflix.com/title/80218938

Zero Dark Thirty
5 minute raid scene starting at 2:00:00) with pics posted here.

Star Trek Beyond
Camera pan over space background starting around 0:11:30 - 0:12:30

Oblivion
Camera pan over smoke filled crash-site at 0:50:00

The OA
S01E01 - Camera panning inside dimly lit room.- 0:10:30:

steakhouse_
Mindhunters Episode 8 - Netflix - at 47:15

Tint Tests

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can you throw up a link for the 5% slides?

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you throw up a link for the 5% slides?
I think most simply use this YouTube video.

I'll see if I can get a downloadable slide link.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh cool thanks - that should be enough

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Thanks for doing this, it is a big enough issue still in 2017 to warrant it's own discussion.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you have an OLED and want to post your 5% grey slides etc., please post them here for discussion.

This can be the place for us to compare and contrast our panels. It may even show us if any of these issues get better over time.

Here's a couple of examples from my C7 that I have at the moment.

One is a slide and the other is from a movie. You can see the vignetting on the right side of the panel.
What movie is that? Time frame? Settings used?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Thanks for putting this up.

Reactions: vince48

·
Registered
686 Posts
Might also be helpful to state whether it's a 55" or 65" (assuming it's not already in your signature), as I gather from reading other posts that there are more issues with the 65".

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
that doesn't look too bad, can you see banding in dark content?
Never notice banding at all. The slides you really want to look at are the 1 and 2% slides. Those are the near black slides that will be the problem in low light scenes. That's why the EF9500 has really bad banding issues. The 5% slides really didn't show much issue on those tv's, but once you loaded the 1 and 2%, it was jail bar city.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
Never notice banding at all. The slides you really want to look at are the 1 and 2% slides. Those are the near black slides that will be the problem in low light scenes. That's why the EF9500 has really bad banding issues. The 5% slides really didn't show much issue on those tv's, but once you loaded the 1 and 2%, it was jail bar city.
true that! Same with vignetting

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks Vidpro for creating this thread.

I've attached a couple pictures. LG OLED65B7P.

1) My first panel. It had banding all over the place and could easily see it in all content. It was very distracting. It was bothering me a lot.

2) Banding from a scene in Interstellar. Phone camera overexposes the issue but you get the idea.

3) Banding from a scene in Prometheus. Phone camera over-exagerates the issue but it was very easy to see in real life.

4) Again from Prometheus. Same deal.

5) Banding from the Infamous panning shot in Arrival (18:48). It looked pretty much like that in real life.

All the above are from my first panel.

6) 5% Grey scale from my 2nd panel after LG replaced the first one. It has much better uniformity. I can still see bands but way less frequently and when I do, it is less obvious. Using the same scenes as above: can barely see banding in Interstellar. Don't see it in Prometheus and can see very faint in Arrival.
This is from a 65''.

7) Same as 2 but on the 2nd panel

8) Same as 4 on the 2nd panel

9) Same as 5 on the 2nd panel

Vidpro may I suggest we settle on one picture preset that we could suggest to people they use while taking the photo. I picked ISF Dark, not sure what others are using.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
great pics man, you got any captures in of the same content with the new tv? like that interstellar shot?
Didn't take any pictures except 5% grey on the 2nd panel. There was no need - I took those pictures in the first place to show LG what was what :)

I'll try to take at least one and update my post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Posted this in the other thread but figured id ask here as well thanks

Hey guys what brightness/oled light settings are you using for the 5% grey test, I initially tested it and I seen a bit of banding and some black blobs but then I realized the tv was on power saving mode which has oled light completely off. So with oled light max and brightness 50% it was near perfect and with brightness set to 100% it was perfect. May6 build.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Anyone have any opinion or info on how many panel wipes gets you to a point of diminishing returns when trying to reduce the banding/vignetting? I seem to recall one post in another thread from a guy who reported that doing a 3rd panel wipe actually made his panel worse.

Reactions: Sargon 1
1 - 20 of 9526 Posts