AVS Forum banner

5721 - 5740 of 9526 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I'm right there with you. I had a 55" C8 with a bright right side and odd blotchiness that I returned in July. I just got a 55" E8 yesterday and it has a bright right side as well, although not quite as bad. Still terrible though. It looks very similar to your C8 there, actually. It seems to be a big problem this year.

I tried a Sony 55" 900f before the C8, by the way. The viewing angle and blooming were just awful to me in a dark room.

Good luck!:eek:

Thanks for the reply!

****! Strange that there are so few that has mentioned it in reviews. I already miss my B7, I don't think I can handle this, maybe buy myself a projector.

What has LG done? I think i need a shrink if I keep holding on to this technology. And if the Sony is that bad, ahhhhh, projector next i think.

How long did you have the C8? It didn't become better with time at all?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Question, if you guys run the Vertical banding video on first page, the one with panning shots on grey up to 50% grey. How far up the scale do you see banding? I can see two of my bands all the way up to 50% in a dark room :( Have one bigger band on the left that is pretty visible all the way up to 50%. Running a manual pixel refresher on my set now to see if anything improves.
I can see the darkest band on mine up to around 21%, maybe a bit higher, but it is much harder to see at 21% and up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

****! Strange that there are so few that has mentioned it in reviews. I already miss my B7, I don't think I can handle this, maybe buy myself a projector.

What has LG done? I think i need a shrink if I keep holding on to this technology. And if the Sony is that bad, ahhhhh, projector next i think.

How long did you have the C8? It didn't become better with time at all?
Yeah, I haven't seen any reviewer mention such an issue, but I've seen several folks in a few different countries who ended up with units like ours this year. I couldn't find any mention of this specific problem in prior years, so I think it might be an exclusive new feature for for 2018!:eek:

I used the C8 for over 200 hours, hoping for any sign of improvement. If there was any, I certainly couldn't notice it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen any reviewer mention such an issue, but I've seen several folks in a few different countries who ended up with units like ours this year. I couldn't find any mention of this specific problem in prior years, so I think it might be an exclusive new feature for for 2018!:eek:

I used the C8 for over 200 hours, hoping for any sign of improvement. If there was any, I certainly couldn't notice it.

Ok, thanks for the answer. I think I'm taking it back to the store, I'm also going to contact LG service dep. to see what they have to say about this ****! :)

I loved the picture quality on my B7, the whites are much better on the C8, but the **** we are seeing takes me out of the movie every time I see it. I just watch movies and series in a dark room with the OLED, so when it shows up on the screen I just want to throw the C8 out of the window! That would cost me a lot of money. :)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
As you can see, overall the nastiness has faded a bit. This is evident in person with your own eyes, not just in photos. I messed with the exposure trying to duplicate the ugliness of the first picture, but couldn't.
Keep in mind, this is after only a week and probably under 10 hours of use.

Side note: it looks like I've got some letterbox burn-in.
Therein lies the problem with this approach even if it improved the vertical banding. Without running the compensation cycles, you will end up accumulating a ton of image retention that will never reset. If you watch letterboxed HDR it will probably be even worse. I suspect that the build up of image retention is also what smears the edges of the bands, thus making them less distinct. It's a no-win scenario.

Regarding the reverse vignetting (that looks like light bleed) on the 55" 2016 and 2018 models, I've mentioned that countless times on many of these OLED threads. Unfortunately, it's a very common defect at that size and model years. Try the intro the Zero Dark Thirty if you want to see the light bleed at its worst. You might think LG stuck an edge-lit LCD in your box by mistake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Therein lies the problem with this approach even if it improved the vertical banding. Without running the compensation cycles, you will end up accumulating a ton of image retention that will never reset. If you watch letterboxed HDR it will probably be even worse. I suspect that the build up of image retention is also what smears the edges of the bands, thus making them less distinct. It's a no-win scenario.

Regarding the reverse vignetting (that looks like light bleed) on the 55" 2016 and 2018 models, I've mentioned that countless times on many of these OLED threads. Unfortunately, it's a very common defect at that size and model years. Try the intro the Zero Dark Thirty if you want to see the light bleed at its worst. You might think LG stuck an edge-lit LCD in your box by mistake.

Hey.

Sorry about the questions, but this is driving me crazy! :)

So this was not a problem with the 2017 models? Because I didn't notice this on B7.

And it's called reverse vignetting?

Do you know if this is a LG problem, so if I buy a Sony, Panasonic or Philips, the problem is not the same as the 2016 and 2018 models from LG?

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,727
A9F sets should be in some owner’s hands today or very soon. Not holding out much hope, but still can’t wait for reports and some pics.

·
Registered
241 Posts
65C8, with around 30 hours on it, around 4 automated cycles and 1 manual refresh. I know it gets a bit better in time, but compared to my previous C6, this one looks like crap. The C6 had only one faint 4-5 cm vertical line and a was a bit darker on the center of the screen, but these issues never showed up in content. The C8 has both vertical and horizontal banding and has a lot of it. Plus, on the left side it has 3 blotches that are even darker. I don't think even after 2-300 hours this will look better. The only thing is that starting with 10% IRE it looks excellent, with only some faint differences in color on the left side and a very faint vertical yellowish tint of around 5cm in length on the same side on white. At the same time, the right side being brighter on the 5% IRE, it ruins even further movies that already have elevated blacks. I could easily see it in the Dark Knight Rises night scenes. The guys from the store I bought it from are waiting for me with a new unit to replace this one, but after seeing here how bad some units can be, I'm really afraid of having to go through multiple units to get a decent one, but then again, having paid so much $ for it, my OCD says "NEXT!" :(

Also, it has a weird thing. After watching a movie on my X700, immediately after I hit the stop button and it goes into the Menu, the screen starts to flicker and I get the No Signal message. This might be a handshake issue, but was curious if anyone else had this. This never happen on the C6.

This pick is as close as I could get it to real world image. Only a smidge overexposed.

Got my replacement unit. The first one didn't change much over time. The second unit is much better on the grey but has the same 3 yellow tinted lines on the left side, as the first unit. Plus, noticed it has some weird reinbow like effect, which wasn't there in the from the beginnig. Was thinking that it might've been from the fact that I took the protective film off only after a couple of days, but did the same with the first unit and that one didn't have this effect.

The first pic is with the second unit, 0 hours, and the second is after 4 days and around 6 automated cycles. The first pic is a bit underexposed and the second pic is a bit overexposed, the uniformity is better in reality, mostly seen are some small vertical lines, but much better than the first unit and barely noticeable in content. You can notice the rainbow effect in the second pic which wasn't there in the first few days (a bit exaggerated by the camera, but it's there especially on whites). In the first days the left side had 2 big lines that were darker and had some weird small comb like lines on the bottom from middle to right side. These issue are gone now mostly and at least in the Marco Polo test the banding is barely visible, but now, the tint is kind of driving me mad, as once I see it I can't unsee it and from experience, the tint doesn't go away with time :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
65C8, with around 30 hours on it, around 4 automated cycles and 1 manual refresh. I know it gets a bit better in time, but compared to my previous C6, this one looks like crap. The C6 had only one faint 4-5 cm vertical line and a was a bit darker on the center of the screen, but these issues never showed up in content. The C8 has both vertical and horizontal banding and has a lot of it. Plus, on the left side it has 3 blotches that are even darker. I don't think even after 2-300 hours this will look better. The only thing is that starting with 10% IRE it looks excellent, with only some faint differences in color on the left side and a very faint vertical yellowish tint of around 5cm in length on the same side on white. At the same time, the right side being brighter on the 5% IRE, it ruins even further movies that already have elevated blacks. I could easily see it in the Dark Knight Rises night scenes. The guys from the store I bought it from are waiting for me with a new unit to replace this one, but after seeing here how bad some units can be, I'm really afraid of having to go through multiple units to get a decent one, but then again, having paid so much $ for it, my OCD says "NEXT!" /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

Also, it has a weird thing. After watching a movie on my X700, immediately after I hit the stop button and it goes into the Menu, the screen starts to flicker and I get the No Signal message. This might be a handshake issue, but was curious if anyone else had this. This never happen on the C6.

This pick is as close as I could get it to real world image. Only a smidge overexposed.

Got my replacement unit. The first one didn't change much over time. The second unit is much better on the grey but has the same 3 yellow tinted lines on the left side, as the first unit. Plus, noticed it has some weird reinbow like effect, which wasn't there in the from the beginnig. Was thinking that it might've been from the fact that I took the protective film off only after a couple of days, but did the same with the first unit and that one didn't have this effect.

The first pic is with the second unit, 0 hours, and the second is after 4 days and around 6 automated cycles. The first pic is a bit underexposed and the second pic is a bit overexposed, the uniformity is better in reality, mostly seen are some small vertical lines, but much better than the first unit and barely noticeable in content. You can notice the rainbow effect in the second pic which wasn't there in the first few days (a bit exaggerated by the camera, but it's there especially on whites). In the first days the left side had 2 big lines that were darker and had some weird small comb like lines on the bottom from middle to right side. These issue are gone now mostly and at least in the Marco Polo test the banding is barely visible, but now, the tint is kind of driving me mad, as once I see it I can't unsee it and from experience, the tint doesn't go away with time
Hi guys, i used my tv for about 100 hours.
Gamma 1886, 40 light, technicolor mode, warm 2.
Is this banding acceptable or should i return it ?

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts

Damn, that is a problem. Damned if do and damned if you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
And it's called reverse vignetting?
Yes, look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting
In photography and optics, vignetting (/vɪnˈjɛtɪŋ/, UK also /vɪˈnɛt-/; French: vignette) is a reduction of an image's brightness or saturation toward the periphery compared to the image center. The word vignette, from the same root as vine, originally referred to a decorative border in a book. Later, the word came to be used for a photographic portrait that is clear at the center and fades off toward the edges.
You know the effect - examples at that link.

So the reverse of that is the problem you are seeing on your TV.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Yeah I see that now, sorry! I was somewhat aware of reverse vignetting, but I didn't realize that it was common for it to effect an entire half of the screen. I suppose I expected it to be closer to the edges.

The weird way that these panels over-expose macroblocking and render near-black shades is made that much more visible because of it as well. The well-functioning side of the panel certainly looks much cleaner in that regard. That's probably why so many people don't report seeing that issue; their television's comparatively superior panel uniformity hides these artifacts much more effectively.

Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
I'm on my second and I love it.

If it's not only at the edges, then it's more than just reverse vignetting. RV is the effect just at the edges.

I would try to exchange if you can - it's a fantastic TV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on my second and I love it.

If it's not only at the edges, then it's more than just reverse vignetting. RV is the effect just at the edges.

I would try to exchange if you can - it's a fantastic TV.

And the one you have now doesn't have this problem at all?

It's not only in the right edge bottom, it spreads out about 20% of the screen from the right edge in the lower corner. With a black test screen, when I adjust the brightness from 50 to 52, the right side from the edge and 20% inwards shows more light than the rest of the panel.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Whelp my 4th 55" C8 has some annoying uniformity issues that really don't show up as often as I thought they would but once you see it..... Not sure if I have it in me to go through another exchange. Probably just going to see how much content I really notice it in. I have about 40 hours on it, set to ISF Dark 21 OLED light brightness 50 Contrast 85. The movie shots are from the opening of Ghost In The Shell Dolby Vision:

20180908_133533.jpg
20180908_133554.jpg
20180908_133719.jpg
20180908_133729.jpg
20180908_133736.jpg

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Whelp my 4th 55" C8 has some annoying uniformity issues that really don't show up as often as I thought they would but once you see it..... Not sure if I have it in me to go through another exchange. Probably just going to see how much content I really notice it in. I have about 40 hours on it, set to ISF Dark 21 OLED light brightness 50 Contrast 85. The movie shots are from the opening of Ghost In The Shell Dolby Vision:

View attachment 2452800
View attachment 2452806
View attachment 2452804
View attachment 2452802
View attachment 2452808
That looks bad....

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
And the one you have now doesn't have this problem at all?
It's not perfect, no TV is perfect, but it's vastly better than my first one (do a search to see my earlier posts in this thread, and later posts for my 2nd panel).

It's not only in the right edge bottom, it spreads out about 20% of the screen from the right edge in the lower corner. With a black test screen, when I adjust the brightness from 50 to 52, the right side from the edge and 20% inwards shows more light than the rest of the panel.
Yep. Bad enough to exchange if you can, IMHO. But see what others think too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's not perfect, no TV is perfect, but it's vastly better than my first one (do a search to see my earlier posts in this thread, and later posts for my 2nd panel).

Yep. Bad enough to exchange if you can, IMHO. But see what others think too.

Yeah, the feedback I have gotten is return it, defect. Tired of this, and I am not the only one. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,740 (Edited)
As was predicted, it looks like banding on the A9s (only one report so far) is not looking good for those of us hoping for better. Oh well.

5721 - 5740 of 9526 Posts