AVS Forum banner

8501 - 8520 of 9564 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Attached some pics from the 65" C9 I got from Best Buy recently. It was a display model with about 3900 hours, that I got a very very nice deal on. I don't see any burnt in images, but there is a noticeable hot spot in the middle of the screen and the sides are darker. It does not show up when watching regular content, so I've been pleasantly surprised so far with this set. It came with a 1 year LG warranty, so if worst comes to worst I can try and get a new panel from them at some point.

Please take a look and let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Didn't attach pictures previously.
Looks pretty good. I would just say that a 100% white screen in no way is the singular definitive test for tinting issues.

If you haven't, check a full Orange and a full Yellow screen to confirm no issues with tinting, especially on the left side. My 100% white looks perfect, but put on a yellow screen and you immediately see it biased towards orange on the left and right edges. In use this shows up in tan background content such as office interior walls, desert backgrounds etc. (and not in a good way).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Attached some pics from the 65" C9 I got from Best Buy recently. It was a display model with about 3900 hours, that I got a very very nice deal on. I don't see any burnt in images, but there is a noticeable hot spot in the middle of the screen and the sides are darker. It does not show up when watching regular content, so I've been pleasantly surprised so far with this set. It came with a 1 year LG warranty, so if worst comes to worst I can try and get a new panel from them at some point.

Please take a look and let me know what you think!
Looks horrible bad that panel Even my old E6 looks better that tv You need to return. Full of bands pluss darker edges.

Ur darker sides is full of bands if You dont notice on the left n right sides those wont fade or go away.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Eh, I went back through this thread to compare my 5% and 10% grey pics to others, and compared to some of the horror story panels I've seen, I really don't think its that bad. It looks worse pictured here than it does in person. I watched some scenes from Marco Polo ep.3 last night which is a near black torture test, and I just barely saw any banding in actual content for the first time.

I'm running the 1 Hour Pixel Refresher to see if it helps. I'm sure I'll call LG at some point down the line and see if I can get a better panel, but I'm not in a huge rush to do so in the pandemic (1st world problems) and since I can live with the hotspot and vignetting for now (again, not seeing it in content).

I have a 65" LG B7 and it has worse banding, but very little vignetting/darkening on sides of the screen. I think I'd rather have slightly more vignetting than more banding if I had to choose.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Yes, you could certainly do worse (and 2016 models aka the E6 were by and large a huge improvement over predecessor years, with intervening years not necessarily consistently showing improvement).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Eh, I went back through this thread to compare my 5% and 10% grey pics to others, and compared to some of the horror story panels I've seen, I really don't think its that bad. It looks worse pictured here than it does in person. I watched some scenes from Marco Polo ep.3 last night which is a near black torture test, and I just barely saw any banding in actual content for the first time.

I'm running the 1 Hour Pixel Refresher to see if it helps. I'm sure I'll call LG at some point down the line and see if I can get a better panel, but I'm not in a huge rush to do so in the pandemic (1st world problems) and since I can live with the hotspot and vignetting for now (again, not seeing it in content).

I have a 65" LG B7 and it has worse banding, but very little vignetting/darkening on sides of the screen. I think I'd rather have slightly more vignetting than more banding if I had to choose.
I think that panel looks pretty good! The anomalies lack sharp edges, so the probability that they will be detected in content is low. I also find banding more distracting than vignetting (and from my experience, banding shows up more frequently as well). I think you've done pretty well. Hang on to that!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm not a big cable watcher, but my girlfriend sometimes likes to watch a show here or there, so I use my Firestick since I get free "limited" cable with my AT&T phone plan.

I've noticed that a lot of commercials display their products against a black background, but it's usually not true black, but a dark, dark gray. So if I ever want to see the dark band on my A9G prominently displayed, I just need to throw on some commercials.

Good thing I primarily just watch movies - where it is not noticeable very often. But damn, those commercials really bring out bands - or a single one in my case.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I attached a picture I took while watching the Rtings.com C9 review where they talk about how they took a thermal picture and it literally shows the same hotspot that I have in the middle of my panel. He says in the video it's likely due to the placement of the electronics in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen way worse, but the proof is in the pudding. Do you see any of these panel anomalies in content?

Thanks for posting the pics! Part of what I appreciate about this thread is that it allows me to get a notion of the uniformity of other panels.

You're welcome. I don't see any of the anomalies while watching content of whatever little I have watched in a week since getting it. These are early days though. I must admit I'm leaning towards keeping it because if I change it, I might end up getting a worse panel. And with these Covid lockdowns in place everywhere, it'll be a pain moving giant TV boxes around. I just hope the panel improves further with time.

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Two weeks old 65E9. 5% taken with iPhone camera.
I just want to point out that the 5% slide in thi video you have used seems to be brighter than this slide, which also commonly used:

Take a shot with this one too. Has anyone else in the group observed this? Let me know if I'm hallucinating.
Here is the shot from above YouTube video. Looks alot like other C9s posted (maybe even bit worse!)

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's still a good set. You can get a lot worse. My first panel had a line in the center that was visible in many shots. Even the replacement is worse than yours. Lol. Keep this one.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,515
I thought vignetting was a dead issue. :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
first time on the forum, lots of great info here
Just looking for some advice from others with OLED experience
I have a 65in W7 wallpaper.
Had it for a year but hardly used it approx. 75 hours on it. I do see some banding on 100% white screen, grey looks pretty good.
I cant see it in normal content unless screen is white like in the pic attached.
Given that the grey uniformity is really good should I just ignore? that's not too much full white screen content. Funny's think is if i look from a 45 deg angle the banding nearly is not visible. Tried both angles.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought vignetting was a dead issue. /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
No, started with later builds of the 2019. IMO, the vignetting is minor and a better trade off compared to other low end anomalies.
This set is manufactured Feb. 2020 so in line with Dnice comment. The vignetting pops up in content now and again. Will it get any better over time?

8501 - 8520 of 9564 Posts