AVS Forum banner

8541 - 8560 of 9509 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Is the tinting problem also an issue with LCD?
***I've never had any tinting issues with my Sony 900F or Sony 900E LCD TV's. Zero, zilch, nada. Also - zero banding. People talk about "blooming" with LCD sets but I haven't experienced any of that, either. LCD's will not get as dark as an OLED but they get plenty dark as far as I'm concerned. Exceptional shadow detail with bright "pop" on colors. I'm not in a totally dark environment so if that is your preference, you might see some light bleed in a totally darkened room with an LCD set.

If you like the OLED picture and technology, then hopefully, you can find one without any tinting or banding. Lots of happy customers on this thread as well as folks who have experienced uniformity, banding & tinting issues. No TV is perfect. The main question is the TV perfect for you?

·
Registered
120 Posts
***I've never had any tinting issues with my Sony 900F or Sony 900E LCD TV's. Zero, zilch, nada. Also - zero banding. People talk about "blooming" with LCD sets but I haven't experienced any of that, either. LCD's will not get as dark as an OLED but they get plenty dark as far as I'm concerned. Exceptional shadow detail with bright "pop" on colors. I'm not in a totally dark environment so if that is your preference, you might see some light bleed in a totally darkened room with an LCD set.

If you like the OLED picture and technology, then hopefully, you can find one without any tinting or banding. Lots of happy customers on this thread as well as folks who have experienced uniformity, banding & tinting issues. No TV is perfect. The main question is the TV perfect for you?
Sample size of...one...is not a good measure. Tinting and dirty screen effect are very much a part of LCDs; the latter is more prominent than subpar dark grey unifmormity, as it shows up at almost all luminance levels.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Sample size of...one...is not a good measure. Tinting and dirty screen effect are very much a part of LCDs; the latter is more prominent than subpar dark grey unifmormity, as it shows up at almost all luminance levels.

***Well, all I can reference is what I see from owning two Sony LCD sets. Zero tinting issues. Repeat, zero. And zero DSE - - I have no idea what you are talking about - especially with the advanced FALD sets and Sony processing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I come back to you about my marking problem. After exchange with LG after-sales service, I have to carry out a manual refresh of the pixels every day for two weeks.
I had read contraindications on this subject and I informed the counselor but he clarified to me that this contraindication does not take place and maintains that the procedure to follow is the correct one. Finally if this does not solve the problem, a technician will intervene.

The following software version 05.10.50 is available on the LG site but not with the TV update search function.
I am in version 05.10.40.

Do you recommend doing this update?

I'll keep you informed. :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
***Well, all I can reference is what I see from owning two Sony LCD sets. Zero tinting issues. Repeat, zero. And zero DSE - - I have no idea what you are talking about - especially with the advanced FALD sets and Sony processing.
A simple google search would have shown that you were just lucky. Anyway, not another OLED vs LCD debate. This is for owners to post and discuss. Let's not derail the thread.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Zero I repeat Zero, as in Zero people care about your LCD's:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
A simple google search would have shown that you were just lucky. Anyway, not another OLED vs LCD debate. This is for owners to post and discuss. Let's not derail the thread.
This ain't the first time that member has come on here to tout his perfect FALD with Zero DSE or uniformity issues.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Zero I repeat Zero, as in Zero people care about your LCD's:rolleyes:
***You consistently make false statements about LCD and OLED technology. The question the OP had about tinting was answered incorrectly. You like to attack, personally, any statement you don’t agree with. My post was intended for anyone who is honestly comparing options between OLED and LCD sets - - and the inherent issues that have been well documented in both OLED and LCD threads.

Reactions: MCaugusto

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
My post was intended for anyone who is honestly comparing options between OLED and LCD sets - -
and was, therefore, completely off-topic for this thread. Please just drop it, as you've already been asked to do.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
and was, therefore, completely off-topic for this thread. Please just drop it, as you've already been asked to do.
***You got it, mate. No amount of empirical evidence will change your mind. Carry-on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I tried to manually update the pixels all afternoon yesterday without success. The screen went out of standby alone and indicated process interrupted despite several attempts. All sources were turned off. Last night I activated the update by turning off the TV, and this morning no error message but no confirmation message either. I have a doubt as to its proper execution. Because if during the night the process was interrupted, the screen could turn back on and go back to standby alone ... I have a doubt about the execution of regular updates (those every 4 hours) suddenly ... Maybe a failure on my model of the update system ?! Looking forward to reading you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Your advice?

Here are 5% and 10% pics of my 77C9 with 153 hours on it.

Love the size! But the screen uniformity leaves something to be desired. It has some vignetting on both sides (mostly on the right). The lowest fifth of the panel is noticeably brighter than the rest. This is most pronounced on the darkest slides (1 - 3%) and becomes less apparent as the panel gets brighter (although I think it's still just detectable at 10%).

On the other hand, the panel has no noticeable tinting (the white is almost perfect) and - while there is some banding - the edges are soft, so it's rarely detectable, even in challenging content such as the scenes in Marco Polo and The Arrival. (Banding showed up most in the scene from Mindhunters mentioned on the first page of this thread. What a torture test! Fortunately, content with such lighting is rare.)

I like having a set that rarely shows banding, and the vignetting doesn't bother me a lot, but I am concerned about that brighter bottom fifth. Just above black, the bottom part of the image can have a glow similar to an edge-lit LCD. I've had Chad B. calibrate my sets in the past (I highly recommend him!). I'm unsure what compromises such variation in luminance may necessitate during calibration.

A few years ago, the common wisdom on these threads advised that the 77" panel sizes tended to have the best uniformity. What I've read more recently suggests that the opposite is now true.

What do you think? How likely am I to get a more uniform 77-inch panel if I exchange this?

The 5% slide came out largely black when using the settings on the first page of this thread, so I boosted the OLED setting to 39 (as per Dave Katzmaier's suggested settings in his review on CNET). My iPhone 7 has exaggerated the contrast in the 5% photo significantly. NOTHING is black to the eye, although the vignetting is darker, and the bottom of the screen does appear brighter.

Give your experiences, what would you advise me to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here are 5% and 10% pics of my 77C9 with 153 hours on it.

NOTHING is black to the eye, although the vignetting is darker, and the bottom of the screen does appear brighter.

Give your experiences, what would you advise me to do?
If you don't see anything odd when using the TV as intended then it's OK. 5% grey is a stress test not a test of 'picture quality'. Put up a red, blue, and green slide, I'll bet they look 'perfect'.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
What do you think? How likely am I to get a more uniform 77-inch panel if I exchange this?
Hard to say for sure but I doubt it gets much better by exchanging it.
Mine also has those LCD-light leak kind looking defects mostly on the bottom right but also elsewhere in some form.

However yours seems to have very little banding if it really looks like as in the photos and you cannot notice it in above 10% test screens?? I can notice banding pretty easily even at 20% test screen and I'm able to notice some traces of it even higher. Surprisingly it still looks decent with most material. Then mine has some DSE type smudge on the lighter scenes in one spot. So I'd be happy with the one like yours. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

A week ago I bought a 55-inch C9 and everything has worked out just perfectly… until now, apparently. The first day I ran several tests to check possible banding problems, DSE, dead pixels, etc. and everything seemed to work perfectly. The panel was almost uniform since I couldn't see anything strange. But today I noticed a slight dark stain (navigating the Xbox One menus, which are gray) in the lower central area of the screen, only visible in dark and static backgrounds. I’ve run the 5% test again and this is what I see:

What do you think? It's banding? I have read that they can indeed appear after an indeterminate number of hours of use, but I'm surprised that they did it after 30 hours of use. As I say, this dark stain is not visible in video games or movies, is detectable only in static backgrounds. Having said that, what can I do? Should I replace the TV?

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
What do you think? It's banding? I have read that they can indeed appear after an indeterminate number of hours of use, but I'm surprised that they did it after 30 hours of use. As I say, this dark stain is not visible in video games or movies, is detectable only in static backgrounds. Having said that, what can I do? Should I replace the TV?

Thanks!
Yeah that's banding and i experienced the same, actually my C9 developed a vertical band at the same spot but since i can't really see it in normal content or while playing games and don't care.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do we have anymore pics of CX models? Not verbal feedback, but actual pictures?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I suspect until the pandemic lockdown is lifted in most areas, you're not going to see many slides posted here of the 2020 models. Economic uncertainty is also limiting the amount of people willing to spend $$$ on upgrading expensive TVs. I usually try to test new models myself but around here all dealers with demo models are closed and many won't reopen because they've gone out of business. I never buy displays without checking them out in person (not interested in playing panel lotteries) so likely no TV upgrades for me in the foreseeable future unless there is some confirmed breakthrough in uniformity from many owners (especially from serial TV upgraders/returners).

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,560
I suspect until the pandemic lockdown is lifted in most areas, you're not going to see many slides posted here of the 2020 models. Economic uncertainty is also limiting the amount of people willing to spend $$$ on upgrading expensive TVs. I usually try to test new models myself but around here all dealers with demo models are closed and many won't reopen because they've gone out of business. I never buy displays without checking them out in person (not interested in playing panel lotteries) so likely no TV upgrades for me in the foreseeable future unless there is some confirmed breakthrough in uniformity from many owners (especially from serial TV upgraders/returners).
There aren’t enough small places that sell equipment (that goes for other mom & pop places) as it is and to think a lot of them will be gone after this nightmare is depressing.

Reactions: mrtickleuk
8541 - 8560 of 9509 Posts