AVS Forum banner

9041 - 9060 of 10034 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
How much tinting is acceptable on a C9? I have absolutely no banding whatsoever, which is pleasing, however, there’s some blue tinting on the edges; this is only visible on white backgrounds i.e. Google on the web browser.
No banding?? You have a unicorn! Using the TV settings at the beginning of this thread, please take some pics of the 5% and 10% grayscale slides on YouTube (USENIX or Darko) and post them here. For many of us, this may be our only glimpse of a banding-free OLED.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,043
I thought banding was supposed to be eliminated on OLED.

Looks like I need to reconsider the OLED option.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Apparently not even close, but acceptable seems doable depending on how much you can stomach returns until you find one acceptable for you. If you do it is an amazing thing to watch especially those deep blacks. Good luck!

·
Registered
18,109 Posts
I thought banding was supposed to be eliminated on OLED.

Looks like I need to reconsider the OLED option.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Reconsider it for what other flat panel tech? LED LCD? I’m evaluating a Sony 950H right now and I’ll take OLED uniformity issues over cloudy LED LCD uniformity any day of the week.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Reconsider it for what other flat panel tech? LED LCD? I’m evaluating a Sony 950H right now and I’ll take OLED uniformity issues over cloudy LED LCD uniformity any day of the week.
Who said flat? He could be considering a CRT ;):D

·
Registered
4 Posts
The protective on the back of the panel on can lead to panel damage if you don’t remove it, heat can’t properly dissipate if you leave the film on the back of the TV.

lg.com/in/support/product-help/CT20150005-20150256984097

·
Registered
120 Posts
Apparently not even close, but acceptable seems doable depending on how much you can stomach returns until you find one acceptable for you. If you do it is an amazing thing to watch especially those deep blacks. Good luck!
Agreed! If you look at the charts on the Rtings website looks like gray uniformity and gradient handling has actually gone down in newest 2020 TV's compared to even 2019 models! The highest rated the 2019 Sony and even on that the issues are pretty apparent according to their review.The A8G OLED has excellent gray uniformity. There is almost no noticeable dirty screen effect, great for sports fans. In near-black scenes, the uniformity is slightly better, but like all OLED TVs we've tested, there are some very faint horizontal and vertical lines. These can only be seen when displayed near-black scenes in a pitch-black room.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,048
Not even close! If you look at the charts on the Rtings website looks like gray uniformity and gradient handling has actually gone down in newest 2020 TV's compared to even 2019 models! The highest rated the 2019 Sony and even on that the issues are pretty apparent according to their review.The A8G OLED has excellent gray uniformity. There is almost no noticeable dirty screen effect, great for sports fans. In near-black scenes, the uniformity is slightly better, but like all OLED TVs we've tested, there are some very faint horizontal and vertical lines. These can only be seen when displayed near-black scenes in a pitch-black room.
It was asked if it OLED banding was eliminated. That’s why I responded not even close.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I want to share my recent OLED experience and get some advice. I bought a C9 77" online from Beach Camera. On day 1, I unboxed the TV and the panel looked great. Watched a movie on it and then ran the pixel refresher.

The next day when I turned my tv on, there were several vertical lines of brighter pixels on the left side of the tv. Interestingly, these bright pixels dont really show if the scene is completely black. I took some pictures of the pixels.

I watched about 10 more hours of content as well as ran the pixel refresher two more times. The panel seems to be slowing getting better, but the lines are still visible. It seems really weird to me that the panel could appear fine on the first day, but suddenly appear defective after pixel refreshes. Makes me think its more a software problem. Anyways, I contacted BC and they are telling me to contact LG to get it looked at. *facepalm*

Should I push back and see if they can exchange the tv instead? I just think it is dumb to have to get service on my >$4000 tv in the first week. Also, I feel like I might have a harder time in the future if my panel got burn in down the road in two years and I call LG up to see if they can courtesy replace the panel but then they see that they have already serviced my tv once in the past.

I will attached the panel pictures. One is right when I noticed the issue. The next is a few days later.
No offense to the smaller retailers, but they can make their own policies. For many of them, it's just profit-profit-profit and if you have any issues, they just tell you to contact the manufacturer. I had this happen to me when I purchased an LG C6 OLED back in the day. The uniformity was unacceptable and despite only owning the set for a few days, I had to go through LG. Fortunately, LG was much more lenient on giving out refunds back then. I think that now, they've kind of fallen in line with other manufacturers and depending on the severity, can just tell you that it's "within specs."

If you paid with a credit card, you could always dispute it if you're unable to get your money back.

I suggest sticking with Amazon directly or with Best Buy. Those third parties might sometimes have better deals and no taxes, but is it really worth it to have to deal with the hassles?

Reactions: Black05Hemi

·
Registered
10 Posts
No banding?? You have a unicorn! Using the TV settings at the beginning of this thread, please take some pics of the 5% and 10% grayscale slides on YouTube (USENIX or Darko) and post them here. For many of us, this may be our only glimpse of a banding-free OLED.
I meant no banding that is perceptible to me during normal viewing which is all that matters. It’s the weird tinting that’s got me a bit concerned because I know that won’t get better with time. Notice the right side of the panel being more brighter than the other parts. I am maybe 50 hours in, only 2 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
I meant no banding that is perceptible to me during normal viewing which is all that matters. It’s the weird tinting that’s got me a bit concerned because I know that won’t get better with time. Notice the right side of the panel being more brighter than the other parts. I am maybe 50 hours in, only 2 weeks old.
Understood, Meteoreos! Fortunately, not everything evident on a 5% grayscale slide shows up in other content.

Unfortunately, the test slides you used (Sunil Raman on YouTube) are brighter than any other 5 and 10% reference slides I can find. (Check out post #8995 on this thread for comparison pics of my C9 using the Sunil Raman slides in contrast to another reference.) From my experience, the slides on ALL others sites appear the same, but Sunil Raman is different. Seems it's not a reliable reference.

If you get a chance please retake photos using slides from the USENIX or Darko sites on YouTube and post those. Many problems are invisible using the brighter Sunil Raman slides.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello, this is my first foray into OLED with a 55" B9 I have for almost 2 weeks now. I am someone who had been using a 40" Samsung LCD from 2009 (with very slight smudge-type DSE in the middle) and returned a Sony LCD from 2014 due to banding (basically vertical band-type DSE). Also I'm one of those who usually cannot accept even a single dead or stuck pixel (even if not very noticeable), as for me it's not a good start/sign for the future of the newly-acquired display.

My B9 does have a dead white sub-pixel, but since I knew banding could be an issue I've decided to give priority to that instead.
To test I did not start with grey slides nor watch any type of dark Netflix content (though I did those as recommended later), since my use is mainly for games.

So right out of the box what I did was test a couple of games with dark environments and I started noticing a well-defined brighter area on the right side, as if someone used a ruler to mark where the screen should be different. Even if I was looking at the center of the screen it would call to my attention when panning, as if something had popped-up in-game or someone suddenly closed 1/16 of a curtain from the right side.

Trying my best (as best as a "just-right" OCD person like me can) to try and ignore it as it only appeared in dark rooms etc, but since I do play a lot of dark/horror ambient games I'm starting to find it quite bad for my use case. Almost 2 weeks in with around 50h use and it doesn't seem to have changed in the slightest.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to read some opinions here before I attempt a replacement/return (already have the technician's report regarding the dead pixel), taking into account I have around 2 more weeks (30 days total) before the store window closes and the stock of 2019 OLEDs is nearing zero every day that passes.

Some photos (5% Grey, two games):

Click for gallery with more photos (10% Gray, White, Mindhunter, OA, Marco Polo and more examples, including a close-up).

Oh and I almost forgot... here's a video of a dark room in BF1:

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Just a quick FYI. At only 48 dimming zones, the x950H can barely qualify to be called FALD LCD. This year, Sony also added their wide-angle filter to all screen sizes in this series which further reduces the effectiveness of local dimming due to the light diffusion of the filter. That being said, they still typically have better uniformity at < 25% grayscale than your average OLED. Once you get into the brighter end of the grayscale, the OLED might pull ahead if you're lucky enough to find one without visible color tinting. Unfortunately, neither LCD or OLED consistently offers good uniformity across the entire grayscale range so buyers need to pick whatever matches most of their content.

If you really want to compare uniformity, I would pick one of the flagship Sony LCD models with a few hundred dimming zones. I know the top models undergo factory uniformity calibration to equalize the light output between zones (as long as you leave FALD enabled). Not sure if there are enough zones to do this uniformity compensation effectively on their lower end models.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah that's pretty messed up. Kind of like the look up table issue, but the whole middle of the screen. I haven't really seen one like this before. Return it or contact LG. It's not just banding.
SO I got my replacement 65 CX yesterday, and guess what. Its probably the worst one set I have had in regards to tinting. The left 15-20% of the screen has got some really severe tinting which is really noticeable on solid colours and even visible on some general content. It really is that bad and I dont think I can stomach it, so I am going to send this one back too. This is now my third panel and I literally coming to the end of my tether with these panels. I really cant believe what Im having to go through to get a panel that is acceptable. Kind of lost at the moment. :(

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,055
SO I got my replacement 65 CX yesterday, and guess what. Its probably the worst one set I have had in regards to tinting. The left 15-20% of the screen has got some really severe tinting which is really noticeable on solid colours and even visible on some general content. It really is that bad and I dont think I can stomach it, so I am going to send this one back too. This is now my third panel and I literally coming to the end of my tether with these panels. I really cant believe what Im having to go through to get a panel that is acceptable. Kind of lost at the moment. :(
Best I got is I know the feeling.

Reactions: saiyanzzrage

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My C9 had something very similar but it wasn't really visible in content. It had some banding and formed a box like my CX has however, the banding was only really visible on certain games. Im wondering if this system could be manifesting due it to being wall mounted. Could there be some forces in play here which could causing the panel to do this.

Apologies for posting a C9 panel shot here, but just thought I would include so people can take a look and compare.
My condolences :(

Which store have you been dealing with for returns? Even if they have been great, I know it's still a pain.
But what I really find confounding is your C9 having the same lighter rectangular box in the middle of the screen as your CX. Maybe try to use another wall mount? Which one are you using now? I can only begin to guess what may be causing this issue....but you've had two sets do this exact same thing, which is rare as far as I know.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts

I have no banding on my 65 C8 at all, and never did. None of the other issues as well that plagued some of the C8's. I didn't bother to run slides because I know my panel is not perfect but if i don't see it on any source material, it doesn't exist. I don't believe in looking for problems because you will invariably find some. My C8 has been called a unicorn as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My condolences :(

Which store have you been dealing with for returns? Even if they have been great, I know it's still a pain.
But what I really find confounding is your C9 having the same lighter rectangular box in the middle of the screen as your CX. Maybe try to use another wall mount? Which one are you using now? I can only begin to guess what may be causing this issue....but you've had two sets do this exact same thing, which is rare as far as I know.
Appreciate the warm words mate.

I have been dealing with RicherSounds here in the UK my tv and they have been good with dealing in exchanges which is the only positive. With regards to the wall mount, im using the Sanus VLL5: https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vll5/

The wall mount is not the cheapest but are a trusted brand and in my opinion are of really good build quality. Im not sure if the wall bracket has got anything to do with it because the screws are going into the holes they are supposed to be and I am not over tightening them.

Sooo frustrated though. After sampling OLED picture quality in all of its glory I don't want to go back to LED/QLED and. Its a shame that other brands just don't have an equivalent tv with all the same features at the same price point and I got the CX at a big discount.

·
Registered
92 Posts
here mine oled c9 after lg replace panel due to stuck/dead pixel. It look ok but still having stuck/dead pixel in some spot.

55 oled c9
isf dark
oled light 40
Looks like you have a fair bit of pink tint on your panel on the full white screen if you dont mind me saying. My CX is a bit like that. Mine iv visible all on the left side, the bottom and on the bottom half of the right side of the screen too.

9041 - 9060 of 10034 Posts