AVS Forum banner

9061 - 9080 of 10008 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
here mine oled c9 after lg replace panel due to stuck/dead pixel. It look ok but still having stuck/dead pixel in some spot.

55 oled c9
isf dark
oled light 40
That vertical bar on the far-right looks ready to stick out easily on dark/near-black panning content.
Seems like it came from the same manufacturing line as mine (still open to opinions on that one by the way. As a TL;DR it would suffice to have a look at the photos + video).

I don't get why some of these bands so well-defined with an abrupt change as if each part of the screen was made separately. I would expect gradual changes across the screen.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hey look what I've got, it's my new tinted ole.... no wait it's my new JVC DLA Projector that was even more expensive than any oled I've ever bought... :mad:

The joy with this projector didn't last long. I didn't check slides and was just watching it until I noticed in a desert scene that the sand was greenish on one side and red on the other. Of course after that it was game over and I constantly noticed it. And now this thing is already packed up, waiting to get returned...

So after 3 LG Oleds, 4 Panasonic Oleds, a cheap LCD, a Plasma, a cheap DLP Projector, an expensive JVC projector, I'm now back to having no display device other than my 8 year old computer monitor... :eek:

Not sure what to do now. I guess if near-black chrominance overshoot wasn't a thing I would play the Oled lotterey again... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Hey look what I've got, it's my new tinted ole.... no wait it's my new JVC DLA Projector that was even more expensive than any oled I've ever bought... :mad:
Oh no :(

The joy with this projector didn't last long. I didn't check slides and was just watching it until I noticed in a desert scene that the sand was greenish on one side and red on the other. Of course after that I constantly noticed it even in scenes where it was more difficult to spot. And now this thing is already packed up, waiting to get returned...

So after 3 LG Oleds, 4 Panasonic Oleds, a cheap LCD, a Plasma, a cheap DLP Projector, an expensive JVC projector, I'm now back to having no display device other than my 8 year old computer monitor... :eek:

Not sure what to do now. I guess if near-black chrominance overshoot wasn't a thing I would play the Oled lotterey again... :rolleyes:
Why not try the new Panasonic 2020 OLEDs, see how that goes?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Returning TV's is such a hassle. Before I'd buy a 2020 Panasonic Oled I would load up my usb flash drive with test scenes and ask if they'd let me play them at a store.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It was asked if it OLED banding was eliminated. That’s why I responded not even close.
I purchased a Sony 65AH8 a couple weeks ago and the set is amazing. No banding, vignetting or other issues. Black scenes are total black, slides are near perfection. I was blown away watching Interstellar in HDR on the Panasonic 820 the other night.

·
Registered
92 Posts

The joy with this projector didn't last long. I didn't check slides and was just watching it until I noticed in a desert scene that the sand was greenish on one side and red on the other. Of course after that it was game over and I constantly noticed it. And now this thing is already packed up, waiting to get returned...

Wow.... Thats a lot of area to be covered by tint. Also surprising you didn't notice it earlier. I find that that the yellowish tint is harder to pick up which I have also had before but is harder to notice in general content. The pink tint is the worst in my opinion and is pretty much visible straight out of the box.

Also, totally feel what you saying mate because I am kind of in the same boat. Not sure what to do, the most probable being another CX replacement, or trying a Sony A8H or a Panasonic. I don't really wanna folk out any more cash and things not guaranteeing to be any better.

Is it fair to say that your chance of getting a bad panel is way greater than getting a good one. Seems like it to me.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Which JVC model is this? Never seen tinting like that except on Epson LCD/LCOS projectors. DLP is basically immune to uniformity issues because it's a single monochrome panel (unless you get a very expensive 3-chip projector) and a pixel can only be in two states - fully on or fully off. Grayscale is achieved via PWM.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Returning TV's is such a hassle. Before I'd buy a 2020 Panasonic Oled I would load up my usb flash drive with test scenes and ask if they'd let me play them at a store.
Yep. Do that, and good luck :)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
So Vincent has struck out for all (3) 2020 65" OLED manufacturers (LG, Sony, and Panasonic). At this screen size, all had the dark blob on the left side of the screen. Amazing that something like this can get through quality control of three completely different TV manufacturers.

https://youtu.be/ANgAuVHAuEg?t=615

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
I purchased a Sony 65AH8 a couple weeks ago and the set is amazing. No banding, vignetting or other issues. Black scenes are total black, slides are near perfection. I was blown away watching Interstellar in HDR on the Panasonic 820 the other night.
It's great to hear about good experiences! When you get a chance, please post some 5% and 10% grayscale pics for us. (Just be careful not to use the Sunil Raman slides on YouTube. They are inconsistent with other reference materials.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm new to OLEDs and I recently got a 48CX 3 or so weeks back, probably over 100 hours on it since I've been at home quite a bit still due to the pandemic(though only around 20% of that would have been HDR) - apparently you can't check on EU models. On the plus side the tinting and near black banding doesn't seem to be too bad. It's there but it's fairly mild, don't notice the tinting in normal content and the vertical banding is mainly two lines, one at each side which is only really visible on horizontal pans of plain dark coloured walls or something similar. Not something I'd see very often unless I really looked for it, and it did seem to improve since I first got it.

Unfortunately I seem to have a different issue which I can't find anything about on googling so I'm here to see if anyone has any ideas. Basically in very bright HDR content on bright solid whites, or close to whites(I've mainly noticed it on the sun/bright clouds in HDR), I can see almost like a faint almost grid when panning over it at a certain speed. Mainly horizontal bands, but occasional vertical ones too. You can't really notice it much looking direct at or, or if it's only panning very slowly though.

I did already try one pixel refresher late last week after I saw people mentioning brightness improving after using it on CX models, sadly I can't really say whether it improved or got worse since prior to the refresh while I had seen the issue I didn't know what it was at the time so didn't really look too much.

Has anyone seen anything like it before and/or is it something that would likely improve over time like near black banding can?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm new to OLEDs and I recently got a 48CX 3 or so weeks back, probably over 100 hours on it since I've been at home quite a bit still due to the pandemic(though only around 20% of that would have been HDR) - apparently you can't check on EU models. On the plus side the tinting and near black banding doesn't seem to be too bad. It's there but it's fairly mild, don't notice the tinting in normal content and the vertical banding is mainly two lines, one at each side which is only really visible on horizontal pans of plain dark coloured walls or something similar. Not something I'd see very often unless I really looked for it, and it did seem to improve since I first got it.
This kind of worries me. I was pondering if I should have gone for the 48" CX since smaller sizes are supposedly less prone to display banding... Is it perhaps something similar to what's seen here on the far right?

As for the other thing... it's the first time i'm reading about a grid issue on bright content (and it sounds even worse since it's probably easier to see too).

·
Registered
153 Posts
SO I got my replacement 65 CX yesterday, and guess what. Its probably the worst one set I have had in regards to tinting. The left 15-20% of the screen has got some really severe tinting which is really noticeable on solid colours and even visible on some general content. It really is that bad and I dont think I can stomach it, so I am going to send this one back too. This is now my third panel and I literally coming to the end of my tether with these panels. I really cant believe what Im having to go through to get a panel that is acceptable. Kind of lost at the moment. :(
I can believe it. This is why they call it the panel lottery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can believe it. This is why they call it the panel lottery.
So I have been speaking to Richer sounds today and they did state that they couldnt keep exchanging TVs because of the costs involved with doing so. I suggested if I could take a punt with one more while keeping the one I already have. Then I could just decide which one I want to keep. Really wouldn't send this one back and then find I actually have a worse one in return.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So I have been speaking to Richer sounds today and they did state that they couldnt keep exchanging TVs because of the costs involved with doing so. I suggested if I could take a punt with one more while keeping the one I already have. Then I could just decide which one I want to keep. Really wouldn't send this one back and then find I actually have a worse one in return.
I continue to be amazed reading these threads daily, at the horrible quality control of these manufacturers, sending these tv's out to the public. It's disgusting.

I swear, the nicest tv I ever had was my Kuro 151FD. No problems for ten years. I just watched it, and enjoyed it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I continue to be amazed reading these threads daily, at the horrible quality control of these manufacturers, sending these tv's out to the public. It's disgusting.

I swear, the nicest tv I ever had was my Kuro 151FD. No problems for ten years. I just watched it, and enjoyed it.
The last TV I bought was a Sony Bravia W series back in 2008 - which was a middle/upper model back then. Although It's 12 years old it is still going strong. Agreed, buying TVs nowadays is so much more hard work especially for enthusiasts that want the best picture possible.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
With me they kindly took the replacement out of the box and set it up (resting on cushions without the stand, still partially in packaging) in their demo room so that I could check it before we did the refund/replacement financial side. Much quicker than lugging it home. You could suggest that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
With me they kindly took the replacement out of the box and set it up (resting on cushions, still partially in packaging) in their demo room so that I could check it. Much quicker than lugging it home. You could suggest that?
Yeah I could do that, but would then still need to have the panel delivered to my address if I was to be happy wit it. Ill see what they say, still waiting on a response. Which model have you got?

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Yeah I could do that, but would then still need to have the panel delivered to my address if I was to be happy wit it. Ill see what they say, still waiting on a response. Which model have you got?
Right, I see. I have a C8. My friend and I packed the first one into the car and drove to their shop, so that's what made that possible. Not sure what the plan was if the replacement wasn't any good, I think we'd have driven back home without a TV in the boot!

EDIT: If you search my first posts on this thread you'll see the pics of old/new and the story in a little more detail :)

9061 - 9080 of 10008 Posts