AVS Forum banner

9081 - 9100 of 10003 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
This kind of worries me. I was pondering if I should have gone for the 48" CX since smaller sizes are supposedly less prone to display banding... Is it perhaps something similar to what's seen here on the far right?

As for the other thing... it's the first time i'm reading about a grid issue on bright content (and it sounds even worse since it's probably easier to see too).
Yeah, it looks similar to the line in that image. 48" screens are definitely not banding immune.

As for the other issue, it's noticeable when panning the camera across a reasonably sized very bright sun/cloud which is solid in colour in a HDR game basically (on either my PS4 or PC, so it's not the source). Admittedly, most games wouldn't pan over the sky fairly fast like that(nor would it be the focal point of the shot if they did), so I guess it's not as noticeable as you'd think initially, but it's still annoying to know it's an issue. Not really noticed it in SDR (though my OLED light is set rather low for SDR since I mainly watch in the evening) or when watching movies.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Apparently not even close, but acceptable seems doable depending on how much you can stomach returns until you find one acceptable for you. If you do it is an amazing thing to watch especially those deep blacks. Good luck!
Deep blacks do not matter to me. As long as I know it is black, that is all that matters. As long as it is not completely grey. If it is fairly black, thats all that matters.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I continue to be amazed reading these threads daily, at the horrible quality control of these manufacturers, sending these tv's out to the public. It's disgusting.

I swear, the nicest tv I ever had was my Kuro 151FD. No problems for ten years. I just watched it, and enjoyed it.

Yep, I had the same Kuro for 10 years. Not one problem. Gave it to my brother, who still has it and purchased an E7 back in 2017 that has the usual banding seen in this thread but very little tinting.

Reactions: Black05Hemi

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,084
I purchased a Sony 65AH8 a couple weeks ago and the set is amazing. No banding, vignetting or other issues. Black scenes are total black, slides are near perfection. I was blown away watching Interstellar in HDR on the Panasonic 820 the other night.
Great news! When the odds are better I’ll be buying again.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,085
Deep blacks do not matter to me. As long as I know it is black, that is all that matters. As long as it is not completely grey. If it is fairly black, thats all that matters.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sometimes I think I’d rather a clean tint free panel for less black perfection

Reactions: gamermwm and jrref

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Which JVC model is this? Never seen tinting like that except on Epson LCD/LCOS projectors. DLP is basically immune to uniformity issues because it's a single monochrome panel (unless you get a very expensive 3-chip projector) and a pixel can only be in two states - fully on or fully off. Grayscale is achieved via PWM.

It's the cheapest one, DLA-N5 (DLA-NX5 in america).

It also suffers from bright corners syndrome, just like the edge-lit TCL I had for 2 days, only that the JVC had darker black but still bright corners. I knew about that but it was worse than expected. Some people say you don't notice this in real content, which I call bull****... :eek:
Maybe bright room watchers?? .... on a projector?? :rolleyes:

I'm glad I returned it. :)

As for DLP, yes no uniformity issues but I couldn't stand the rainbow effect, the noise of the color wheel and also it gave me eyestrain....

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I'm new to OLEDs and I recently got a 48CX 3 or so weeks back, probably over 100 hours on it since I've been at home quite a bit still due to the pandemic(though only around 20% of that would have been HDR) - apparently you can't check on EU models. On the plus side the tinting and near black banding doesn't seem to be too bad. It's there but it's fairly mild, don't notice the tinting in normal content and the vertical banding is mainly two lines, one at each side which is only really visible on horizontal pans of plain dark coloured walls or something similar. Not something I'd see very often unless I really looked for it, and it did seem to improve since I first got it.

Unfortunately I seem to have a different issue which I can't find anything about on googling so I'm here to see if anyone has any ideas. Basically in very bright HDR content on bright solid whites, or close to whites(I've mainly noticed it on the sun/bright clouds in HDR), I can see almost like a faint almost grid when panning over it at a certain speed. Mainly horizontal bands, but occasional vertical ones too. You can't really notice it much looking direct at or, or if it's only panning very slowly though.

I did already try one pixel refresher late last week after I saw people mentioning brightness improving after using it on CX models, sadly I can't really say whether it improved or got worse since prior to the refresh while I had seen the issue I didn't know what it was at the time so didn't really look too much.

Has anyone seen anything like it before and/or is it something that would likely improve over time like near black banding can?
Yeah, it looks similar to the line in that image. 48" screens are definitely not banding immune.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You're the first 48" OLED owner who's reported on uniformity. This is the first OLED panel made in LG's recently opened China factory and we didn't know what sort of uniformity they would produce. Sounds like more of the same unfortunately. Maybe if you have the time, post a 5% photo using the recommended settings in the first post. That way we have some record of 48" results for comparison.

Regarding your grid issue. Do you see it in test patterns from internal LG video player app from USB? Do you see it in other HDMI sources? Just want to rule out some kind of source issue.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I continue to be amazed reading these threads daily, at the horrible quality control of these manufacturers, sending these tv's out to the public. It's disgusting.

I swear, the nicest tv I ever had was my Kuro 151FD. No problems for ten years. I just watched it, and enjoyed it.
As am I with my 12 year old Kuro 151. I still have it and watch it along with my Sony Oled. Both great TVs.

Reactions: Black05Hemi

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The last TV I bought was a Sony Bravia W series back in 2008 - which was a middle/upper model back then. Although It's 12 years old it is still going strong. Agreed, buying TVs nowadays is so much more hard work especially for enthusiasts that want the best picture possible.
I've also had very good luck on my older TV purchases. Never had to return one.

One thing to keep in mind, TVs used to cost a lot more back then for similar screen size. Maybe that pricing allowed for better quality control? The past few years just looks like a race to the bottom to see who can produce the cheapest TV, regardless of the consequences. It's why all the displays in my home are from 2013 or older. Not interested in playing panel lotteries.

It's the cheapest one, DLA-N5 (DLA-NX5 in america).

It also suffers from bright corners syndrome, just like the edge-lit TCL I had for 2 days, only that the JVC had darker black but still bright corners. I knew about that but it was worse than expected. Some people say you don't notice this in real content, which I call bull****... :eek:
Maybe bright room watchers?? .... on a projector?? :rolleyes:

I'm glad I returned it. :)

As for DLP, yes no uniformity issues but I couldn't stand the rainbow effect, the noise of the color wheel and also it gave me eyestrain....
That's really sad to hear. I've had excellent uniformity on my older JVC projectors. Only defects were stuck blue pixels that normally can't be seen from viewing distance. But I still use a 1080p, SDR, RS57 from 2013. I heard they struggled (dealer recalls, multiple launch delays, etc.) with these first-gen, mainstream, 4K HDR models that you purchased. First 1080p models built on a new chassis also had rapidly dying lamps. Sometimes it's best not to be the early adopter of new tech. HDR on projectors is kind of pointless since they can't produce enough light for proper display. 4K would be nice for a large screen.

If you have not lost all interest in projection, you could try finding a cheap, used 1080p JVC. They had better black levels and contrast than the current 4K HDR models. I think 2013 was the sweet spot. Later models got MUCH brighter to accommodate HDR and active 3D shutter glasses but this made them more susceptible to uniformity issues. When buying used, you could ask the owner to send you some uniformity photos before purchase. Good luck with whatever you decide for your next display.

Edit: I also can't tolerate DLP rainbows and am jealous of people who are immune to the effect. To fully solve it, you would need an expensive 3-chip model. Some people are also okay with models that don't use a color wheel. Those have laser or LED light sources.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With me they kindly took the replacement out of the box and set it up (resting on cushions without the stand, still partially in packaging) in their demo room so that I could check it before we did the refund/replacement financial side. Much quicker than lugging it home. You could suggest that?
Sounds like a reputable store. Very nice of them to do that for you.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
Sounds like a reputable store. Very nice of them to do that for you.
They are! Richer Sounds are definitely my first port of call for any AV stuff here in the UK! They really look after their staff, and know what customers need, and it gives great results for all. The founder (Julian Richer) announced last year he wants to hand over control of the company to his staff in a trust: Richer Sounds founder hands over control of hi-fi and TV firm to staff
Richer, who recently turned 60, said the “time was right” to pass the baton to the chain’s 531 employees.
“My father dropped down dead at 60 so I am very keen for this to happen in my lifetime,” explained Richer. “I felt the time was right, rather than leaving it until I’m not around, to ensure the transition goes smoothly and I can be part of it. I still really, really care but it is time for the next generation.”
I'm lucky because they only recently started selling TVs (about a decade ago).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. You're the first 48" OLED owner who's reported on uniformity. This is the first OLED panel made in LG's recently opened China factory and we didn't know what sort of uniformity they would produce. Sounds like more of the same unfortunately. Maybe if you have the time, post a 5% photo using the recommended settings in the first post. That way we have some record of 48" results for comparison.

Regarding your grid issue. Do you see it in test patterns from internal LG video player app from USB? Do you see it in other HDMI sources? Just want to rule out some kind of source issue.
I can try taking a shot later tonight when it's dark.

As for the white issue, it's definitely not source specific as I've seen it from multiple sources, both PC and PS4 as I said before, and I recall faintly seeing it on the sun during one scene of a UHD bluray I watched last week too. The PC, PS4, and UHD bluray player all being different devices with different cables etc. The common factor just seems to be panning shots of bright white/near white highlights of HDR. So I'm assuming brightness just makes it more noticeable/visible considering I don't see it on white in SDR (though as already mentioned my OLED light for SDR is somewhat low at 30ish so that probably helps).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't seem to edit my previous post so here's the 5% slide, used my phone and didn't have anything to stand it on so its a bit blurry.

It's interesting actually. With how symmetrical the pattern on it is, it almost looks like the uniformity is caused by whatever they used to press it or something in the factory....

Either way you can see the two bands I was on about, which definitely are noticeable, but they've not bothered me too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I dared to take a look at a 5% image on my Panasonic HZ1500 after three compensation cycles. Banding is not too bad (only visible in torture scenes like the Mindhunter- or Marco Polo-scenes) and it is actually more apparent on a 10% image.

Unfortunately, my panel exhibits the same red-brownish blob on the left in dark gray areas which Vincent Teoh noticed on his HZ1000 and his A8 and which FlatpanelsHD has also noticed on their HZ1000. In brighter areas there is no visible color tinting at all.

So is 2020 the year of the brown blob or am I just as unlucky as they were?

The attached picture is horrible and exaggerates the issue somewhat, but I think it might become obvious anyways. Let's see how visible this will be in actual dark content.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,095
I dared to take a look at a 5% image on my Panasonic HZ1500 after three compensation cycles. Banding is not too bad (only visible in torture scenes like the Mindhunter- or Marco Polo-scenes) and it is actually more apparent on a 10% image.

Unfortunately, my panel exhibits the same red-brownish blob on the left in dark gray areas which Vincent Teoh noticed on his HZ1000 and his A8 and which FlatpanelsHD has also noticed on their HZ1000. In brighter areas there is no visible color tinting at all.

The attached picture is horrible and exaggerates the issue somewhat, but I think it might become obvious anyways. Let's see how visible this will be in actual dark content.
Even though it’s anecdotal and possible OCD (it’s not OCD :rolleyes:) or being unlucky, this is a terrible sign that if it isn’t one uniformity flaw another will take its place.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Indeed. I remember a few years back they had those zipper lines running down the left/right edges of the screens. Then a year where most TV's had yellow pee stains running down the screen. Seems to always be one step forward, one step back on uniformity.

Zaphyre's 48" model presents an interesting new pattern. Very thin vertical lines/seams instead of the usual wider vertical bands. Then there's the grid pattern he mentioned on bright backgrounds.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
They are! Richer Sounds are definitely my first port of call for any AV stuff here in the UK! They really look after their staff, and know what customers need, and it gives great results for all. The founder (Julian Richer) announced last year he wants to hand over control of the company to his staff in a trust: Richer Sounds founder hands over control of hi-fi and TV firm to staff

I'm lucky because they only recently started selling TVs (about a decade ago).
***Wow. What a great story. Take the time to read it. There are very few stores like this anywhere in the world, let alone the UK, where the passion to do the right thing for the customer and taking care of your employees is number one. How about the "give back" to the employees and compensating them for the number of years they've worked for Richer Sounds. And, the best part? An ongoing, employee owned store that will focus on the customer for the foreseeable future. Nice share.

"The company will pay Richer an initial £9.2m for the stake but the businessman is giving £3.5m of that back to staff, who will receive £1,000 for every year they have worked for the retailer. The average payout will be £8,000 but there are 39 employees with more than 20 years’ service who stand to receive substantial windfalls. The company’s nine directors, who Richer said earn six-figure salaries, are not included in the bonus pool: “This is to thank loyal, hardworking colleagues.”

Reactions: Video Auteur

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can't seem to edit my previous post so here's the 5% slide, used my phone and didn't have anything to stand it on so its a bit blurry.

It's interesting actually. With how symmetrical the pattern on it is, it almost looks like the uniformity is caused by whatever they used to press it or something in the factory....

Either way you can see the two bands I was on about, which definitely are noticeable, but they've not bothered me too much.
That looks like the jail bars from 2017

·
Registered
92 Posts

I have had two CX's so far and haven't seen this on either one of them so I am leaning towards just bad luck with your panel mate.

9081 - 9100 of 10003 Posts