AVS Forum banner

9101 - 9120 of 9984 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had two CX's so far and haven't seen this on either one of them so I am leaning towards just bad luck with your panel mate.
Thanks, that’s good to know. I wonder whether I should have it exchanged or whether I should have Panasonic just exchange the panel. I’m sick of those exchanges, but if they just exchanged the panel, the factory calibration would be lost, which is one of the reasons I opted for the Panasonic.

·
Registered
204 Posts
@JayPee2610

There is definitely a batch of questionable panels out there. My A8H was very similar to yours and now looks very similar to Vincent's GX and A8H units.

Per @jrref suggestions I did a manual pixel refresh cycle around 50hrs which improved things very significantly but it's still not great. It's at around 165hrs now and seems to be continuing to become more uniform. The question is will it improve to the level that would be considered acceptable. The non-uniformity is hardly visible above 5%, and all the other slides are near perfect including 100% white.

I'm also not sure if it's impacting viewing. In dark scenes the sides are where lighting is poor so either there's no detail there to begin with, or it's getting crushed by this pathology and I'm just not seeing the detail that should be visible.

I will do another manual pixel refresh at 200hrs (should be by the end of this week) per the suggestion and post pics then. It's been a let down to receive this panel after optimism from the initial feedback and I'm not looking forward to getting on the exchange cycle. What I'm definitely not interested in is having a panel replaced on a new tv.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Didn't care for the movie, but Amazon's 'The Vast of Night' looks like a potential candidate for OLED torture testing material. Has some of the lowest contrast film mastering I've ever seen. Whole movie takes place at night with most scenes being in that 5-10% grayscale range. Looked extremely drab and washed out on my plasma and projector but at least no uniformity issues on this type of material.

Maybe someone can test this on an OLED?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
@JayPee2610

There is definitely a batch of questionable panels out there. My A8H was very similar to yours and now looks very similar to Vincent's GX and A8H units.

Per @jrref suggestions I did a manual pixel refresh cycle around 50hrs which improved things very significantly but it's still not great. It's at around 165hrs now and seems to be continuing to become more uniform. The question is will it improve to the level that would be considered acceptable. The non-uniformity is hardly visible above 5%, and all the other slides are near perfect including 100% white.

I'm also not sure if it's impacting viewing. In dark scenes the sides are where lighting is poor so either there's no detail there to begin with, or it's getting crushed by this pathology and I'm just not seeing the detail that should be visible.

I will do another manual pixel refresh at 200hrs (should be by the end of this week) per the suggestion and post pics then. It's been a let down to receive this panel after optimism from the initial feedback and I'm not looking forward to getting on the exchange cycle. What I'm definitely not interested in is having a panel replaced on a new tv.
If non-uniformity is hardly visible over 5% what are you seeing that's a problem? All OLEDs have some issues, none are perfect no matter what people report. Just the way the technology is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If non-uniformity is hardly visible over 5% what are you seeing that's a problem? All OLEDs have some issues, none are perfect no matter what people report. Just the way the technology is.
Dark scenes I think shadow detail is being crushed. And in some other dark scenes blob is visible but I'm always left wondering if it's the content or the panel.

I don't expect perfection or even close to it; it's not reasonable with oled. But when paying close to $3k for a tv, it detracts from the viewing experience to be left wondering whether what you're seeing is a pathology or the content itself.

Would you ship this out to a customer after doing QA check and the panel is approaching 200hrs? This is severe enough that I believe it is impacting what I'm watching.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Dark scenes I think shadow detail is being crushed. And in some other dark scenes blob is visible but I'm always left wondering if it's the content or the panel.

I don't expect perfection or even close to it; it's not reasonable with oled. But when paying close to $3k for a tv, it detracts from the viewing experience to be left wondering whether what you're seeing is a pathology or the content itself.

Would you ship this out to a customer when you do QA check and the panel is approaching 200hrs? This is severe enough that I believe it is impacting what I'm watching.
Shadow detail being crushed has nothing to do with banding and tinting. All OLEDs blacks are either right on, crush slightly or slightly elevated from the factory. You need to use the Black Level control and or calibrate to correct this.

As far as if i would pass you panel, if your picture you posted is actually what you are seeing, then no, looks pretty bad.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Shadow detail being crushed has nothing to do with banding and tinting. All OLEDs blacks are either right on, crush slightly or slightly elevated from the factory. You need to use the Black Level control and or calibrate to correct this.

As far as if i would pass you panel, if your picture you posted is actually what you are seeing, then no, looks pretty bad.
I'm not sure what to expect, let alone judge how this is influencing the picture, since this is the first tv I've owned in over 10 years. Holding out hope that another manual pixel refresh at 200hrs resolves things but it's not looking good.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
a potential candidate for OLED torture testing material. Has some of the lowest contrast film mastering I've ever seen. Whole movie takes place at night with most scenes being in that 5-10% grayscale range.

I watched 4k Unforgiven and yea wow I forgot how dark that movie is, it's a torture test for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Would you ship this out to a customer after doing QA check and the panel is approaching 200hrs? This is severe enough that I believe it is impacting what I'm watching.
Could be my panel. Same brown blob left, same thin banding bars (only visible in dark panning shots though). At least I’m not having any problems with crushed shadow details.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Unacceptable

·
Registered
304 Posts
CX 65 186 hours in .... the 5% is very lame in the pic as my phone time exposed it up from near black, but suffice it to say it passes the 'Marco Polo' test just fine (unlike my E7). No bars, no rain, no blobs. No tinted desert scenes in 'Lawrence Of Arabia'.... and maaan, 'Arrival' looks CLEAN. 'Zero-Dark-Thirty' action scene at the house looks unbelievably consistent and clean as well (again, unlike my E7).

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
CX 65 186 hours in .... the 5% is very lame in the pic as my phone time exposed it up from near black, but suffice it to say it passes the 'Marco Polo' test just fine (unlike my E7). No bars, no rain, no blobs. No tinted desert scenes in 'Lawrence Of Arabia'
Its exstream bandy. Think u need to look more on Marco

·
Registered
304 Posts
Its exstream bandy. Think u need to look more on Marco
I can assure you that (as mentioned) that 5% pic got completely distorted by my iPhone. My E7 has the 'rain bands'. I know exactly what to look for (and the correct settings with which to do it). This one has none of that... still moments OR panning.

·
Registered
685 Posts
5% & 10% @ 140 hours. Do you think I should risk bringing it back for a new one?

For the record the 5% looks a bit worse on my iPhone camera than in person. It’s more of the typical slight darkness on the upper left.

Attachments

Reactions: Video Auteur

·
Registered
765 Posts
Anyone play the last of us 2 yet? Woof, the game is so dark it’s perfect for banding tests, and my 65CX with about 60 hours on it definitely doesn’t pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im back with more problems... now I got my 3rd CX yesterday, making this my 4th OLED panel now with the first 65" being the C9. I got it all up and running, I didn't really go looking for stuff other than doing a colour sweep and bringing up a full white screen just to see if there was any tinting. Some blue tinting was visible but acceptable I thought given what I have had in the past so I thought good start.

Hooked up the PS4 and starting playing the Last of Us Part 2 and just couldn't stop help but feel that the blacks /shadow details were being lost. Had that crushed feeling and just the panel didn't have as much pop as the last one. I did check to ensure the PS4 and the TV was synced properly for black levels and everything was configured correctly.

After playing for a few hours I thought sod it, let's bring up the 5% greyscale and saw the strangest thing. First of all it looked like I had bits of light bleed towards the bottom side panel. Now I'm unsure if this was actually light bleed or if the rest of the panel was just not emitting enough light giving me that effect but the left and right side looked so dark and black it appeared as if those pixels were off. So I decided to run a full manual pixel refresh before going to bed. Apologies I haven't got any pictures to illustrate this, but ill be sure to take some tonight with the hope that the manual pixel refresh has done it some some good.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Actually I have managed to dig up a picture up from last night:
I'm not sure how you can possibly make any judgements on the panel without viewing it in a totally dark room. If your picture is actually what your eyes are seeing with that light no matter where it's coming from, after one manual pixel refresh it is still that way i would return it. In all my years i've never seen a panel like that in a lit room, even a really broken set. Sorry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After 450 hours with LG C9 55’ I noticed a magenta tint in between loading screens of Mario Kart 8. Its mostly on the left side of the TV.

I went through some of the videos on here and now I know it’s there it bothers me.

So, is it just a lottery to get one that doesn’t have uniformity issues in white screens? I am within return time with Costco and not sure I’m happy with that issue. Love the TV otherwise.

Any suggestions? I’ll try a post screens once it gets dark here.

9101 - 9120 of 9984 Posts